Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anything better for the money than Sapim D-light Spokes?
  • continuity
    Free Member

For a circa 1700g 32mm wide wheelset for mountain days in the UK and elsewhere.

80kg as a rider. Also looked at DT revs, but they seem expensive.

Bigmantrials

For the last few years I have been using ACI Alpina Spokes from Cyclebasket.

They are a 2mm/1.7mm/2mm double butted and I have never had a problem with them (I am much heavier than 80kg) but the main thing for me is cost, They are alot cheaper than everyone else. 64 black Spokes are ~ £30, silver are under £20!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

D-Lights build a much better wheel than Revs for anyone 80kg+.

I have a set of Hopes on XR391 with D-Lights and I’m 85-90kg these days, never needed touching. I also have a set of Light Bicycle Carbon on Hopes 24h on the cross bike using them.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

D-Lights for the front and Race for the rear is my thinking.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Been using d-lights on several builds. Seem pretty good. Compared to the equivalent DT Supercomp, they’re a lot cheaper and take standard 2mm nipples, not 1.8s (worth knowing the butt starts just below the thread, so you can screw the nipple all the way through, which means you can have a bigger tolerance on your spoke length selection)

JE James were doing them cheap, last time I looked.

The only wheel I’ve ridden with DT Revs in was horrifyingly flexy under my 63kg. I could feel it twist when I pushed it into a corner. Might be the overall package inc Stans Olympic rims, but put me right off using them on any of my own wheels.

joshvegas
    Free Member

For the last few years I have been using ACI Alpina Spokes from Cyclebasket

Its a weird one isn’t it. They’re an long established company with a proven track record of making quality spokes* and they never seem to be on anyones radar as an option.

*Mavic and campagnolo and zipp wheels certainly used to use them.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

+1 for ACI from cyclebasket. Never had a problem with them.

continuity
    Free Member

How heavy are those ACI’s?

daern
    Free Member

Also looked at DT revs, but they seem expensive.

Insanely so, in the UK. Generally source from Germany (Rose Bikes, most recently) where they are much cheaper, even with the shipping to the UK.

Watching this thread for future tips…

Northwind

If you were thinking of Revs then Sapim Lasers might work- they’re in the same ballpark, though Sapim don’t recommend them for mountain bikes I’ve had really good results with them. (it’s literally the same spoke as the CX-Ray, except without the forging thta makes the CX-Ray flat, so it’s a little less strong)

Bigmantrials

How heavy are those ACI’s?

I would say that with a difference of 0.05mm in the narrow section, probably not much??

I built a set of wheels with Sram XO rear hub, superstar ultralite front, Velocity Blunt Ss rims and aci Spokes and I think it was 1650g ish, I can’t remember exactly but it was definitely under 1700g.

cp

+1 aci alpina from cycle basket – the material density is essentially the same and the section is near as dammit the same. Ergo weight it essentially the same.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Few people on here recommended the ACI Alpina spokes when I built my first set of wheels.

I’ve not had to tighten or re-true the wheels once since building. I’ve been hopping around and casing all sorts on my hard tail at 95-96kg too.

continuity
    Free Member

Huh,

Frustratingly they don’t sell the right length Alpinas – according to the dt swiss calculator I need 278mm.

Bigmantrials

Frustratingly they don’t sell the right length Alpinas – according to the dt swiss calculator I need 278mm

They must just be out of stock, sure I have had 278mm from them before. They have them in silver.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anything better for the money than Sapim D-light Spokes?’ is closed to new replies.