Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Anyone watching the Women’s World Cup?
  • pondo

Have I missed a thread about it? Am I the only one watching the FIFA Women’s Football World Cup of Football? I’m only a casual footie fan at best, but I don’t think I’ve watched a match this tournament and not enjoyed it, Holland v Japan on BBC 4 at the mo is ace. 🙂

mechanicaldope

Watched every England game with my 8yr old daughter. She’s loving it!

MoreCashThanDash

USA v Spain yesterday started at a cracking pace. Feels like this tournament is seeing the women’s game really gain the momentum it deserves

myti
    Free Member

Yes you missed the thread

pondo

Link please.

chewkw
    Free Member

Am I the only one watching the FIFA Women’s Football World Cup of Football?

Nope, I have been watching as much as I can. In fact I prefer to watch Women’s World Cup than any of the premier league match. If I may say it is rather enjoyable to watch than the men’s World Cup as there are no overpaid ego tripping players.

C’mon Nippon! Nippon!

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh damn! As it is Nippon is out.

Holland 2 – 1 Nippon.

pondo

Desperately don’t want to tempt fate….

binners

Me and my girls, who both love their footy, are watching as many games as we can. It’s been brilliant! Really enjoying this one. Far better than watching the dross that the Engerland men’s team regularly serve up

And you know when you’ve arrived as a player when Stan Chow draws your picture

binners

I’m also loving Megan Rapinoe, the USA. Captain winding Trump up 😂

She’s not disrespecting the flag, she’s disrespecting you, you orange shaved baboon

tails
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen as it’s not been as well televised as last years World Cup. Quality is no where the mens game, how did Norway miss that chance after halftime. I like that they are more fair but that’ll disappear as the salaries rise. Not sure we’ll win it, but we’re not a million miles off.

binners

What a finish!!!!! 😳

theotherjonv

that’s a cracking hit…..

but Jonathan Pearce boils my piss.

mechanicaldope

Smashed it!

redmex
    Free Member

Jonathan Pearce boils your piss, well don’t listen to 5 live. The female commentator has got to be as bad maybe worse

StirlingCrispin

Scotland last week – never seen anything like it.

Most commentators annoy me but I can live with Jonathan Pearce.

And they should give the female commentators / pundits full-time jobs on MOTD.

But stop cutting the camera about.

(Womens’ Euro U19 is in Scotland next month – three matches in Stirling!)

pondo

I’m fine with JP – anyone know the lady alongside him? She’s good. 🙂

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Yes loving it! Watching England-Norway now

binners

Could be worse. Far worse. Could be Steve McManomanomanoman

Like nails down a blackboard

croe
    Free Member

Not a football fan so haven’t been watching any of it. However seeing this on the BBC after the USA vs Thailand pumping made me laugh.

Drac

Local girl done good.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t give a crap how the quality compares to the men’s game – that was a good entertaining match with some exciting football in it.

neilco
    Free Member

Loving it but still feels like we’re yet to have a tough opponent. Gets hard now but they’re looking good… and how good is Houghton?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

At least this game was not spoilt by video ref and soft penalty decisions. I keep on expecting England to get found out but perhaps they are better than I think they are .

pondo

Mega. And Bronze. And Bardsley. And White. We got some quality. 🙂

cromolyolly
    Free Member

. I keep on expecting England to get found out but perhaps they are better than I think they are .

They are pretty good. If they can stop missing 5 yard passes and be a little less lax at the back they will do well. I suspect the pace of either the US or France will do for them though.

theotherjonv

They are pretty good. If they can stop missing 5 yard passes and be a little less lax at the back they will do well.

This….going forward some of the pass and move is fantastic, the second goal last night was a tap in but what went before was fabulous.

And I know they haven’t conceded in 4 games now or something, but their opposition barring a late flurry from Norway hasn’t really tested them. And Cameroon did score but it was ruled out by a rizla paper’s gap on VAR. And for someone growing up on Martin Hicks only hoofing the ball into row z as a last resort (first resort was over the stand and down Wantage Road) their ‘ability’ to pass out of their own penalty area scares me rigid; it’s only by luck they haven’t gifted a goal somewhere.

And when they are beaten, Houghton was immense last night with last ditch block and tackles, Bardsley is generally* excellent, and Gary Neville who knows a bit about full backs thinks Bronze is the best in the world.

* Jonathan Pearce reckons she hasn’t put a foot wrong; she came off her line and got nowhere near the ball / was lucky not to concede a pen for the chance the was blocked on the line, and as for the back pass she miscontrolled straight into the path of the Norwegian – he must have different ‘not a foot wrong’ standards to me.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

A better side than Norway would have scored last night and they’d have seen what was going on for the third goal. But most of the teams seem a bit vulnerable at the back and England are very good going forward. Lucy Bronze is a fantastic player.

senorj

Yep.
    Junior J is keen. I think he has a bit of a crush on Alex Greenwood.
    I listened to the radio commentary last night rather than J.pierce.
    The VAR stoppages have been a pain imo.

joeegg
    Free Member

All of the teams i’ve watched do seem to have a problem with accurate passing and it does have you on the edge of your seat at times.USA did look pretty average against Spain and won the game solely on the penalties.If it was a choice between France and USA in the semi’s then i’d prefer USA rather than France in front of their home crowd.

trumpton
    Free Member

been watching some of the games.Watched all the England games. Love it. I do not even watch mens football. England did so well last night.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

This….going forward some of the pass and move is fantastic, the second goal last night was a tap in but what went before was fabulous.

Houghtons passes out from the back are a thing of beauty. I think she started the moves for 2? of the goals. Her packing rate must be off the charts. Inch perfect ball, first touch pass without breaking stride, perfect cross, tap in. Look like world beaters

Then pass to the opposition 10 or 15 times. Then back pass to the keeper that was pucker factor 5. Then they start tapping around their own box like they are Barcelona. They’ve got unshakable confidence in themselves, I’ll give them that. Shame for my heart rate I don’t share it.

theotherjonv

They’ve got unshakable confidence in themselves, I’ll give them that. Shame for my heart rate I don’t share it.

Either that or appalling naivety. At 3-0 up with 20 mins to go, those tip taps on their own 6 yard line kill me!

Klunk
    Free Member

england do seem to have we don’t care if we make mistakes at the back we’re going to score more goals than you (and our goalie is quite good) devil may care attitude 🙂

krixmeister

Absolutely loving it. Me and my USA / UK dual citizen daughters looking forward to watching the USA stuff England on Tuesday 😜😎 Rapinoe gets our vote already for golden boot

molgrips
    Free Member

I enjoyed Sweden-Germany. Those long Swedish balls into huge space were exciting.

I definitely prefer the women’s game now since all four of my favoured teams won!

binners

This should be a good’un! This tournament hasn’t really done nil nils. I doubt it’s going to start tonight.

I’d love to see them do it but I think the US will be just too strong.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think England are the only side with the weapons to put one over on the USA. I’d love to see them do it, but I also think they’ll fall just short. No Rapinoe – that’s a bonus. Bardsley is a big loss though. :o(

No doubt the USA are a bit more familiar with the dark arts of the mens’ game – and seeing as VAR seems to have been slightly dumped after the group stages, I hope England cope with their tricks.

myti
    Free Member

🤞

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Anyone watching the Women’s World Cup?’ is closed to new replies.