Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone use elbow pads?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Don’t normally wear them but Alps trip next summer means I should probably get some. Started wearing POC VPD Air knee pads which aren’t too noticable and wondered if their elbow pads were equally ok to wear (on elbows not knees!)….or if there are some decent ones that are on offer anywhere ATM that are a good shout….cheers

joebristol

Got some Dainese ones that cover forearms as well. Seem ok but each time I’ve crashed I haven’t been wearing them! Tend to keep them for uplift days but may start wearing them on rides where there are some higher speed / rocky downhill sections after my last crash where my elbows were sore for weeks.

ads678

I’ve got G-Form ones and they are very comfy. haven’t crashed in them yet though…..

P-Jay
    Free Member

I use Fox launch pads, they’re small but cover the important bits and surprisingly don’t shift about on me.

I lost the tip of my elbow and about 60% of my range of movement at Afan nearly a decade ago so I don’t really have a choice in it anymore.

Don’t **** up your elbows Guys and Gals, it’s sucks and it hurts every day.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have the POC  knee and elbow pads. No injuries since wearing them.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of POC VPD 2.0 elbows. A quick look would tell anyone I don’t like wearing them – they’re still nice and new looking vs the knees that were bought at the same time.  They’re not uncomfortable and do work but I do prefer not to wear elbow pads so tend to only wear them if I’m expecting the day to call for them.  This is obviously a bit nonsensical.  I’ve got a much lighter weight set of Bliss ones I’m thinking of trying to wear all the time …

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

I’ve just got the 661 rythym pads nice and light but wouldn’t save u from a heavy impact.

I gave the bluegrass d30 knee/shin pads and they are excellent.

doomanic

I’ve got Nukeproof knee and elbow pads. Always wear the knee pads and have managed to position them so they stay in place but haven’t managed the same with the elbow pads so I don’t wear them as often as I should.

I’ve got Fox Titan body armour for the really silly stuff.

andrewh
    Free Member

Not usually, but like you got some for an Alps trip, did the Mega as my first ever DH race, and just put armour on everything! Necessary or not, it helped a lot with confidence, well out of my comfort zone but managed surprisingly well. Also my first time wearing a full-face

filks

Raceface Indy d30 here. I really rate them -once they’re on I don’t really notice them.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I wear some Bliss ones, with the g form armour. I’d guess kind of middleweight?

Easy to put on and don’t notice once they are there.

Had more trouble with knee ones. I wear the ‘minimalist’ ones, everything else too annoying so just don’t wear them. These are probably not great in a crash but won’t be WORSE.

I guess what I’m trying to say is get ones that are comfy or you’ll just not wear them. And I can get away with heavier weight elbow pads than knee pads before they get to “too constrictive so don’t wear at all” level

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

POC VPD here as well, but only really used for uplift days.

rocketman
    Free Member

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/poc-vpd-air-sleeve-2018/rp-prod170991 True to size and completely unobtrusive

Have also got some 661s that are basically arm warmers with a piece of insole inside a mesh sleeve. Awful.

koldun
    Free Member

I have the POC VPD’s too. They are warmer than they have any real right to be, so don’t get as much use as they probably should. They do stay put quite well though.

rhid

I have the POC VDP air elbow pads (Medium). They are nice but i don’t get on with them so don’t wear them anymore. This is not the pads fault, its just person preference. I prefer the Raceface Indy pads which they replaced.

If you are interested in the POCS, get in touch.

rhid

double post sorry!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I find they cause significant arm pump. So knee pads for trail riding, full body armour for DH.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I find they cause significant arm pump. So knee pads for trail riding, full body armour for DH.

I used to get that, I found I’d bought a set probably a size too small because they felt more secure in the shop, went up a size and combined with lifting the brake levers a bit I only suffer arm pain now on day 2 or 3 on a Alps trip.

gribble
    Free Member

I have some of the G Form ones. I have the slightly thicker ones (might be called ‘Elite’ I think), which I bought for the Alps. Mrs G bought some of the thinner G form ones. Really comfortable, don’t notice they are on.

I am also now over 40, so have started wearing them more (and taking them on recent trips to BPW etc).

rydster
    Free Member

I might get some now that I;m MTBing again. The nerve in my right elbow is a constant problem so don’t want to bang it.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

They really don’t cause arm pump unless you’re doing something very wrong. I always wear mine (Nukeproof) – don’t even notice them after a while.

JP

patagonian
    Free Member

Fox Launch here, hard shell but as your elbows don’t move anything like your knees that’s not a problem. You just don’t know you are wearing them.

rascal
    Free Member

Bought some Alpinestars Paragon which is a sleeve type with silicone grippers and no straps.

Seem to fit fine and comfy so got them (£30 Go Outdoors) but I haven’t tried anything else so thinking I should have before I bought them now…might go and try some out and take Paragons back if I find a better one.

funkrodent

Another Fox Launch Pro user here (knees and elbows). Great pads, fit and forget and do the business when you do have an off. I’ve had a few big stacks and they’ve been superb

Kuco

I had the POC ones but found that they kept falling down. Didn’t bother using them in the end.

Northwind

<div>TBH elbow pads have a hard job to do and ime most do it badly. The minimal ones like gform don’t offer much protection and aren’t really much less sweaty, the midsized ones tend to need to be really strapped up to stay in place…</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Love my POC Bones. They look ridiculous but they stay in place, they’re massively protective, and they’re less sweaty than even my Gforms never mind my Fox Launches. Basically being hard, and the right shape, and articulated means they don’t need to be tight or enclosing.</div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

And tight doesn’t just mean uncomfortable, it can cut down bloodflow, put pressure on nerves…

</div>

rascal
    Free Member

Anyone know how Raceface pads size up? Want to order some Ambush online but need to know if any published sizes are accurate first…cheers

fossy

I use some Scott ones if I’m riding anywhere I don’t know (especially natural stuff). I’ve landed on them a couple of times. Don’t notice they are there. I don’t do DH centres, mainly natural trails and the odd trail centre. I don’t use knee pads though as my riding isn’t extreme enough and I’ve never landed on them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes I do, they used to always end up sat on my wrists at the bottom of descents but I’ve been through quite a few brands and ended up with two pairs that do tend to stay put.

They are Ion E-Pact and 7idp Control, both grabbed in sales and both recommended as providing decent protection and staying in place while riding and in crashes.

chrismac

I use them for uplift and alps days. I do find them really hard to buy as my weedy biceps seem to need a pad 2 sizes smaller than my forearms. Definitely a try before you buy item

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They really don’t cause arm pump unless you’re doing something very wrong. I always wear mine (Nukeproof) – don’t even notice them after a while.

Maybe if you are mincing down trails they don’t.

When racing, or riding fast, having them tight enough to stay in place, they absolutely do cause arm pump.

pipiom
    Free Member
    takisawa2

I use Race Face Rage, (I think they are called). More like knee & arm warmers really, but for a ageing gnar merchant, who’s wheels rarely leave the ground these days, they have proven themselves on the odd occasion I’ve gone down; usually like a bison in a cloud of dust & guttural groaning/mooing.

Andy-R

I use a pair of Lizard Skin Soft Cell elbow pads occasionally, usually when I’m riding something very steep, rocky and sketchy for the first time and I think that it might all go very wrong….(that’s always in Greece then) – actually, I’ve got the knee pads too but I usually use IXS Flow. In the grim North I never use elbow pads, mainly because I don’t have any here.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Use an armored vest instead – elbow pads increase your risk of arm pump. The pads in vests tend to stay put without having to be done up anywhere near as tight as elbow pads, if at all.

Elbow pads utterly **** my arms when at revs, so it’d be even worse in the alps.

EDIT: woops noticed I posted before.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use elbow pads?’ is closed to new replies.