Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • anyone use cbd oil ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

seems to be the latest cure all and for sale in holland and barret . Just wondered if anyone has had positive experiences with this stuff apart from adding THC!

jimjam
    Free Member

Yes, bought it after surgery as I didn’t want to be constantly eating co-codomol or similar. It did nothing for the type of pain I was in so I ended up taking ibuprofen. I had the bottle laying around and since it was expensive, and I had sore fingers from Brazilian jiujitsu I decided to rub it on my fingers, amazingly, it worked and really reduced the pain/inflammation on my fingers.

Apparently is definitely not how you’re supposed to use it, but I have tried loads of other things to alleviate hand/finger pain from jiujitsu to no avail and the effect was noticeable and almost instantaneous. I am converted.I tried it a few times for sleep but didn’t really notice anything unless I really went way over the recommended dose and couldn’t honestly say it was anything other than a placebo effect.

I should also add that when my first bottle ran out I purchased a larger bottle of weaker cbd oil 2.5% vs 5% and despite using more oil it had less effect.

tripsterpete
    Free Member

This is the stuff crudely extracted from industrial hemp and hemp seed.

This should not be confused with the real deal which is extracted via supercritical co2 methods from proper cannabis with high cannaboid percentages at the right ratios.

cyclingwilly
    Free Member

I bought some from H&B a month ago and I feel like I’m getting some benefit. answer.spoke to several friends who had tried it and were very happy with the results, so, I took the plunge. I’ll keep at it for 3-4 months before I give a defintitve

somafunk

Yeah i use it for ms related muscle spasms/muscle tightness and for it’s usefulness as an anti-inflammatory immune response treatment, also as a neurological protectant to limit the damage done by MS lesions in my brain and spinal cord  but not all CBD oils are the genuine article, a genuine high quality CBD oil is made from Hemp that is bred to be high in CBD and the flowers, leaves and stalks are used to produce cannabidiol oil, preferably using CO2 extraction methods, some oils are extracted using ethanol and others use olive oils to extract the Cannabidiol but CO2 extraction is the preferred method as it also extracts all the 100’s of terpenes but equipment to do so is very expensive, thus some manufacturers use ethanol.

The stuff that Holland & Barrett sell under the Jacob Hooy label is not CBD oil as it is produced from cold pressed commercial grade hemp seeds, hemp seed oil is still beneficial for health but you’d be just as well to buy a bottle of Hemp seed salad/cooking oil and take a 5ml spoonful.

I use this stuff, take up to 8 droppers a day (4ml/400mg CBD) which is more than the recommended 2 droppers/day (1ml/100mg) , sometimes i take more, sometimes i take less dependant on how my ms is affecting me.  It’s quite expensive being £150 for the small 30ml bottle and £300 for the large 100ml bottle, a large bottle will usually last me 6weeks of daily use.

CBD Oils UK – good site for various oils

cbd cannabis research 1

cbd cannabis research 2

Needless to say i also grow and consume my own home grown in a variety of ways such as cannbutter/vaporisation/make cannabis honey oil etc but i’d best not post anything about that as i think i upset the forum mods the last time this subject came up

You should watch the youtube documentary below by CNN/Dr Sanjay Gupta on medical marijuana, you’ll be turned into a flag waving marijuana evangelist though so be careful

https://youtu.be/PRLYV0_6zY8

As a good news story lets hope the government see sense and allow 6yr old Alfie Dingley to obtain CBD + THC oil to treat his epilepsy, GW pharmaceuticals are currently in very late stage trials of their epilepsy treatment Epidiolex which would be most welcome if the n.i.c.e guidelines can be amended so that is available for prescription in this country.

CBD + THC oil is known as a full complement oil and is currently illegal in this country.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I must be tired. Thought this was about the ccdb coil.

mattyfez

Yeh hemp oil is freely available on the open market, not to be confused with cannabis oil, which is not legally available to buy OTC. Hemp oil contains minute quantities of THC and CBD, although still has notable health benefits.

The CBD to THC ratio in real cannabis can vary wildly depending on the specific strain of cannabis it’s extracted from. Most cannabis strains have been bred to be low in CBD and high in THC, as the recreational market has demanded.

Although strains bred for medical purposes are the opposite, and now much more common place they still contain a notable amount of THC, and are just as illegal, as are the oils derived from them.

proper medical research is slowly catching up, as public opinion is slowly changing.. it’s been a taboo topic for so long, and it’s difficult to aquire the nessesary licences for research (because it’s an illegal drug), and the stigma attached to researching illegal drugs can really damage a scientists reputation.

Big pharma also slow on the uptake as its so easy to produce, you can’t really copyright it, so it’s generally been viewed as a poor avenue of profit.

https://youtu.be/1C6sRkah0mQ

The above video is very emotional, but it’s part of a growing tsunami of evidence to compel further research.

Is it a golden bullet? No of course not, but it has been seen to be highly effective in certain ailments for certain people, and if that’s not enough to warrant further investigation, then I don’t know what is.

seosamh77
    Free Member

on it’s own, snake oil! imo. If it was any good, doctors would be prescribing the legal hemp oil variety, they don’t. So, make of that what you will.

somafunk

Not so seosamh77, it’s not prescribed due to the current regulatory guidelines, hopefully that will be amended soon in the legislative processes being pushed by the all party parliamentary group, fingers crossed for a change in drug legislation this year but it’s going to be hard when we have Theresa May and her Tory ****stains in power

jimjam
    Free Member

on it’s own, snake oil! imo. If it was any good, doctors would be prescribing the legal hemp oil variety, they don’t. So, make of that what you will.

As I understand it, its current status is as a food supplement. Doctor’s don’t prescribe it in the same way they don’t prescribe creatine or fish oil.

kaiser
    Free Member

some good info ..thanks very much . I think it’s simply unbelievable that the gov’t of this country is happy for alcohol to be promoted ,sold and consumed everywhere (and has ruined many lives)  but deny a very sick child a  natural medicine which makes his life so much better. What sort of world do we live in ?

seosamh77
    Free Member

As I understand it, its current status is as a food supplement. Doctor’s don’t prescribe it in the same way they don’t prescribe creatine or fish oil.

don’t really see the stoner community biging up fish oil though. It’s the thing that annoys me about the cbd claims. Its clung on to a bit too much for ulterior reasons. And I say that as someone that’s had more than their fair share.

If you want to legalise cannabis crack on, leave out the bullshit though, the argument is easy to win even without the medical aspect. I’m sure it has some medical benefits, for the likes of nausea and fits and stuff. I doubt it’s the cure all many proclaim it to be, and I’m highly skeptical of any real pain benefits. Let the doctors work away quietly and figure out any benefits over time, no need to hype it, or read studies and cling on to small snippets.

mattyfez

Well the Labour government sacked professor Nut, as the chairman of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), because his research and evidence were things that didn’t comply with the party agenda at the time.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on the Conservatives being any more sensible.

jimjam
    Free Member

@Seosamh, I really don’t understand your comment or how it relates to my last post replying to your post. It seems like you’re amalgamating three or four issues into one there?

somafunk

We live in a country where the advice from government appointed experts at the very pinnacle of their field are disparaged and discredited due to the long held political dogma that drugs are bad/just say no mentality must prevail. After 50+ years of the war on drugs can you imagine the rabid tabloid headlines if the current situation was reversed?,  politicians are gradually coming round to the fact that the current drug laws are not just unenforceable but that they are criminal, how they go about conversing with the uneducated voting public that keep them in political office is the last stone to be overturned.

The latest research on psilocybin/mdma and other so called hallucinogens is very promising for treatment of many mental and neurological disorders, these compounds will provide the next medical breakthrough treatments and will be a boon for millions of sufferers.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m not specifically replying tbh, just forcing my views upon ye! 😀

mattyfez

Seosamh77, I’m not sure you are grasping the difference between hemp and cannabis. To be fair, they are both vague terms and not very accurate.

Hemp seed, and hemp seed oil are very healthy food sources /supplements.

Cannabis is a different branch of the same family, mainly hybrids of the sativa and indica branches.

Hemp is almost zero in THC and CBD, CBD is the chemical that’s being touted as a very effective medicine.

Most modern cannabis is bred to be high in THC and low in CBD due to black market supply and demand.

Some really modern cannabis strains are now coming about where the ratio is kinda equal, or in some cases, higher in CBD than in THC, and it’s these strains that are of particular medical interest.

The fact is there’s been so little formal research done due to the taboo nature of cannabis. Again, not to be confused with hemp, that’s bird seed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Hemp has loads of CBD. That’s the stuff that’s on sale. They aren’t allowed to sell CBD oil in the UK if it’s been made from cannabis plants as it’s impossible to remove all the THC and you leave trace amounts, making it illegal.

mattyfez

No it doesn’t.

The primary difference in this context is the amount of CBD that each contains. Hemp seed oil, although rich in omega acids, and a very healthy food, don’t get me wrong, contains very low levels of CBD

(typically less than 25 parts per million or none at all).

somafunk

I’m highly skeptical of any real pain benefits. Let the doctors work away quietly and figure out any benefits over time, no need to hype it, or read studies and cling on to small snippets.

The evidence has been known for many years within certain medical disciplines but clinical research has been stymied due to the classification of cannabis, I could explain this further but do a bit of google researching for yourself and you will come to understand why.

Considering I was first given it back in 1991 in the Musselburgh spinal rehabilitation unit where I spent many months recovering and learning to walk after months of paraplegic paralysis due to shattering my spine in numerous places, over 20 hours of operations, two vertebrae removed, many fused together and a titanium flexible cage built around my spine with over 40 screws to secure it in place.  We were given it to control muscle spasms/for pain relief and it also aids in neurogenic bladder/bowel control with the full support of the physios/consultants.

It’s definitely not a panacea for all medical ailments but it does have many genuine medical unique benefits, the latest research on THC and its ability to target and kill cancer cells (Israeli cannabis research is rather advanced) shows incredible promise for the future.

bigjim

I know a couple of people that use proper CBD oil for aspects of chronic conditions to great effect. It’s just so stupid that the stigma of prohibition hangs over the use of a bloody plant in medicine, does my head in. Hopefully it’s a generation thing.

I think you’ve maybe smoked too much ‘hemp’ to understand what’s being discussed, sosasmemsamh77 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

First, let’s look at the differences between the plants that make CBD oil.  To start with, the two plants look physically different.  This is due to the different reasons that both of them are grown.  Cannabis, grown for its flowering buds for reasons of smoking or THC extraction, are generally short and wide.  Hemp, on the other hand, is tall and narrow as it is not grown for its buds. Hemp is low in THC and is often grown for a variety of purposes including the manufacture of materials.

As mentioned above, cannabis and hemp differ in the levels of naturally occurring THC that they contain.  THC is a cannabinoid like CBD.  However, its properties are very different and often antagonistic to the effects of CBD.  Hemp is naturally high in CBD and low in THC; the reverse is true of cannabis.  In fact, hemp contains only about 0.3% – 1.5% THC, while cannabis contains about 5% – 10% or more THC.

This means that the levels of THC and CBD are different in the CBD oil produced from the two plants.  But what does this mean for those taking CBD oil?  First, we need to look at the differences between CBD and THC and why you might want a product with more of one or the other.

I’ll retract the trace amount comments, some trace amounts are obviously acceptable.

seosamh77
    Free Member

what other pain meds were you on somafunk?

yunki
    Free Member

what’s your source for that quote seosamh?

seosamh77
    Free Member

below it. you not see it right? I’ve done a double quote thingy.

somafunk

In the hospital I was on opioid drivers, ketamine, voltarol injections, anti spasmodic meds such as benzodiazepines and other meds that are long forgotten about, once I was moved from the neurological dept of the western general to Musselburgh spinal unit for the recovery phase I was weaned off the meds gradually till I was only looking forward to a joint (or two) after spending all day in the rehab gym driving myself to tears and utter exhaustion just trying to get my brain to tell my right foot to move a fraction, over the course of many weeks/months it all gradually came back……thank god!………..**** annoyed at finally being given a ms diagnoses last year after complaining of weakening leg muscles since 2007 – now I’m heading rapidly back to where I was in 1991, can’t really walk, find it hard to stand and support myself without holding on to something and I can only ride an ebike these days, even that is now proving difficult but I’m not defeated or down/depressed in the slightest, I’m somewhat stubborn to say the least so it’s given me the focus and the drive to research and kick the **** living shit out of the ms diagnoses and subsequent issues 😀

CountZero

I do find it slightly ironic that drugs derived from hemp/cannabis are refused for medical use, while opioids, derived from the opium poppy, a very much more dangerous drug, are available for prescription.

somafunk

If anyone is interested in further reading then below is a link to Hansard with regard to the House of Commons medical cannabis debate that took place on Monday

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-20/debates/5C18DA05-4AF4-408A-A7C2-67F3E84133CC/MedicalCannabis

Lets hope we see a revision in the law for medical use of cannabis on friday once it is debated and hopefully passed for fast track through the legislative process

kaiser
    Free Member

Good on you Soma..keep up the fight !

BoardinBob

Been using CBD oil for just over a month now. Tried it as my anxiety has flared up again and I’d prefer not to go back to SSRIs again.

Impact on anxiety is definitely significant. Much less frantic feeling. Way more focus and concentration. Mood dramatically improved.

However, the impact on pain has been absolutely astonishing. I do a lot of heavy lifting at the gym with regular DOMS for days. Since using the CBD oil I have had zero DOMS. I should have got some as I’ve been hitting some big numbers but there has been no pain. In addition I’ve been carrying a niggling wrist injury for years which causes me constant pain. The CBD oil appears to have eliminated that too.

I’m getting my stuff from LoveCBD.org

Can’t recommend it enough. Does taste rank though!

somafunk

There’s an ever increasing number of athletes using CBD to mitigate the effects of training/competition on the body, it’s a proven way to reduce inflammation after competition.

Nate Diaz vapes cbd, wada acts to update policy

Diane
    Free Member

BoardinBob – ever used the balm? Fancy trying something for my aching back

BoardinBob

Haven’t used the balm but would imagine it is good too and very useful for specific applications

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘anyone use cbd oil ?’ is closed to new replies.