Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone use Avid Juicy Carbons?
  • itchy
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a set from Merlin, currently on offer at just over 200 quid. Anyone got any constructive comments? Come with 203mm front and rear rotors, I’m 15 stone and mainly do trail Center riding. Prefer Avids to Hopes but seen a couple of sets of M4’s in the classifieds that could do the trick. Saying tha, the carbon bits would go nicely with the Mojo!!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I have Juicy carbons on my mojo, Demo 8 and pastey howler ti.

I’m 15 stone, have been to the alps twice and have never had a problem with all 3 sets.

Nuff sed.

itchy
    Free Member

Cheers T-M, that’ll do for me.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve got ultimates with 185mm rotors and they are really quite super. i’m a bit lighter at 12.5 stone, but they are more than powerful enough, never more than one finger required (eek). good shit.

firestarter
    Free Member

i was thinking of sticking some avid ultimates on the five spot im 13.5 stone wasnt sure if theyd be up to the job . they are 160/140 at the min but can i just swap adaptors and up the rotor size ?

Hadge
    Free Member

Carbons are more powerful than Ultimates, I’ve had both sets and I’m still running Ultimates on my Yeti. I’m pretty certain that the Carbons come with a different compound but the feel is softer on the Ultimates and I prefer that. Excellent brakes and I’ve found them very reliable and I’ve ran Juicy 7’s and there derivatives since they came out.

theflatboy
    Free Member

yeah you just get different adaptors and swap the rotors. they’re really powerful, with 185s you’d have no probs.

firestarter
    Free Member

they are carbon ultimates so not sure what model lol they are white if that helps

Hadge
    Free Member

Yes you can firestarter, it’s a cheap way of getting some white Ultimates. I’ve been looking and it’s looking like a purchase from the States. I doubt anyone would swap but might try that route first

firestarter
    Free Member

i may be swapping my hope team issue mini pro for a set

duckers
    Free Member

I dont like Avid levers, those DangerBoys I got with your 7’s are superb itchy!! (I replaced my existing 7 levers with them on my Scott!!)

Punkass
    Free Member

I run a demo fleet of bikes, and have consistent issues with Juicy brakes. I’ve had bikes come out of the box that, after one ride, have needed to be bled. On several sets of brakes, I’ve tried bleeding them for half an hour, to no avail. Then, I’ve given them to SRAM mechanics at events, thinking that I was doing something wrong (which I wasn’t). None of them could get them to work either. This has happened on more than one occasion.

If you get them, I’d suggest getting a set of organic pads, and then taking the advice of the SRAM rep, put one organic pad in each caliper, and run a normal pad on the other side.

itchy
    Free Member

I liked those levers as well – may keep my eye’s out for a set somewhere on here or Ebay!

rich-6
    Free Member

I had problems with my current set on my last bike the brakes would always be shinging, but ive put that down to the old frame as my new build is silent as a mouse 😀

Occasionally i’l get the spongy lever if the bike been upside down and the brakes pumped to reset the caliper, but its nothing a few hours the bike the correct way up and a zip tie on the lever cant resolve

itchy
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem after having the bike upside down, but I suppose that’s my fault. E-mailed Merlin, in stock so picking a set up on Monday. Thanks for your comments folks.

duckers
    Free Member

Ive had the same ‘upside down’ issues with Avid and Hope as well. Funnily enough my old Hayes disks never seemed to do it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use Avid Juicy Carbons?’ is closed to new replies.