Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone upgraded from v2 to v3 Bronson. Worth it?
  • menace
    Free Member

Just wondered what the real world differences are vs the hype in the mags. Was it worth the cost?

Cheers

itlab
    Free Member

bumping this as I’m interested in peoples views on this as-well although potentially from the opposite perspective to menace

Ive ridden a v3 which was great, ive not ridden a v2.

but im tempted by a great deal I’ve seen on a v2.1

bigtimebones
    Free Member

Gone from a v2.1 to a v3. Not a huge jump and probably not worth it.

I just like new shiny things.

razorrazoo

Occilatewildly has if you can get hold of him. I’d like to but don’t need to as very happy with my v2 Alu.

menace
    Free Member

Thanks guys useful

Reckon I will stick with my V2. Kept the last Nomad for 10 years so not adverse to getting VFM out of these things

Could be tempted into some reserve wheels though as a compromise …

tomhoward

Could be tempted into some reserve wheels though as a compromise …

They’re pretty good, I forgot just how little pressure was in my front tyre before riding up a couple of stairs at not insignificant pace. Horrific noise, zero damage, though a bit of poo might have come out of me…

chris36860
    Free Member

I’ve done just that. Had the V2 cc and now have the V3 cc. Personally, I think there is a big difference. I’m just over 6ft and the V2 in L was great. After 3 years of owning i though, I felt the TT could have been longer and the standover a little lower for Alps/steep stuff. The V3 covers both of these. It also descends more confidently with loads more grip at the rear. By doing this, I think SC have slightly sacrificed pedal abilities, but only very slightly.
    I rode the V3 Nomad before I brought this one and yes it was fast downhill, but it just wasn’t as fun as the Bronson. It’s super stable in the air like my old Nomad too (V2). I reckon it’s slightly heavier too. Not totally sold on the RockShox super deluxe RTc shock, but I’ll Use it until it breaks. Glad I did it…..totally, but I also like shiny new things!

bluebird
    Free Member

I’m resurrecting this as I’m having the same thought about the slightly longer reach on the V3. @chris36860 now you’ve got a few months on it, is it still enough extra reach, or do you wish you’d gone for the XL? I’m 187cm / 6’1″ and I’m wondering if a little more reach than my current Bronson V2 has would be good.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I have upgrade from a MK2 Nomad to a MK3 Bronson and the difference is like night and day.

The suspension platform is far far better, it pedals far far better and the general ride characteristics are far far better.

I have gone from a Blur TRC, Nomad V2 and a V10 to just the Bronson as my do everything bike.

I went from an XL Nomad to an XL Bronson which was about 60mm long TT. At first it felt massive but now it feels about right. If they did an XXL or made it a few mm longer I’d probably go bigger still. I’m 6,1” as well.

I’ve put an ohlins coil on mine and it’s great despite apparently not being progress enough for it in SC’s eyes. Doesn’t seem to pedal any worse and tracks the ground great.

daveylad
    Free Member

I bought a V3 based on demoing a V2, which was utterly brilliant. My essentially top end V3 isn’t doing if for me though and I’m selling the frame to try something else. An edit V3 perhaps.

chris36860
    Free Member

@bluebird, a few months in and loads of riding, I’m more than happy with my choice. The bike just doesn’t have limits. I’m running a 50mm stem and the new Deity skywire bars with a 15mm rise. One thing I have found is that the back end is so good at small bump compliance, that it made the FoX 36 feel a little harsh. I fitted a Lufftkappe to them last week and now they are amazing. I have just stripped her and put her in a bag ready for the Alps on saturday. I’ll let you know how it does out there.

leonthepro
    Free Member

Thread high Jack.

Anyone gone from V1 Bronson to V3?

Had my V1 since 2014 and it’s great but getting new bike fever, demo’d the high tower and wasn’t keen think I prefer 27.5 so drawn to the V3 Bronson.

bluebird
    Free Member

Thanks @chris36860 it’l be interesting to hear how you get on in the Alps. I’m just back from Pila and it’s the first time I’ve thought a touch more length when descending / stood up would be useful.

I’m 6’1 (186cm) so ride an L or XL, currently I’m on an L. From the geo chart it looks like the reach has increased about 15mm but the effective top tube is similar, only +3mm. So I’m assuming they’ve lengthened the front triangle and steepened the seat angle. For me that sounds spot on because it’s when I’m stood up and crouching I want the extra length.

bluebird
    Free Member

@chris36860 How did the V3 get on in the Alps? Was it a big improvement over the V2? Is the extra length enough?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I went from v1 Bronson to v3 5010. It’s longer and slacker! Im impressed. It’s actually better than my v1 Bronson. I’m not noticing any lack of travel with 140mm up front and it’s a dream in tight corners. It’s certainly a more engaging ride than the Bronson imho. I was seriously tempted to get a v3 Bronson I think the new linkage will give a seriously plush ride

forge197
    Free Member

I demoed a V3 at the weekend and have a V2.

Summary for me the V3 isn’t so good pedaling up hill bit of a slog, feels heavy mitigated by swapping to reserve wheels then it felt closer but still not as good as a V2

The V3 marginally more stable on the downhill and techy stuff, but this is outweighed by the uphill feel.

My average speed was the same on a V3 as a V2 on the same trail loop.

I rode the demo just under 20 miles.

For me the margin of difference was not enough and I felt my V2 the more fun, I don’t need longer reach so that isn’t a factor for me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone upgraded from v2 to v3 Bronson. Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.