Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone taken apart a Specialized Future Shock headset yet?
  • globalti
    Free Member

The Spesh shop in Chester may have sold me a 2020 Roubaix with a non-functioning front brake and a RD that was only held on by a couple of threads of the bolt, with DT Swiss wheels made from cheese that went out of true on the first hill I climbed but the sales guy did take the trouble to explain how to take apart the headset, which is quite different from what we have grown used to.

So while enjoying the bike with some decent Hunt wheels fitted I was constantly niggled by the need to know how it all worked and yesterday I couldn’t resist any longer. It’s quite a clever system and it all hinges on a collar that fits on the oversize steerer and has two functions: it clamps the Future Shock unit thingy in place inside the steerer and it exerts upward pressure on the steerer, which is what compresses the bearing system together to take out play. It does this by having threaded holes drilled at 3.00 and 9.00, each of which contains two grub screws; the lower takes a 2mm hex key and the higher a 2.5mm hex. You loosen off the top 2.5mm grub screw then screw down the lower 2mm, which presses on a steel plate on top of the top bearing, pulling the steerer upwards. Once you’ve done that and checked for rocking you tighten the 2.5mm grub down on top of the smaller one to stop it unscrewing. The correct position of the collar is assured by a tiny dome-headed bolt at 12.00, which registers in a small hole drilled into the steerer and the collar must be clamped firmly in place using the 4mm pinch bolt at 6.00 before you start adjusting the play.

One other thing the sales guy showed me is that if you have removed the Future Shock it needs a sharp push downwards to ensure it clicks fully down into the steerer.

As with many things bicycle it seems complicated at first but once you’ve understood the system it looks quite a clever solution.

dovebiker

I’ve built a few, the use of tiny jacking screws for adjusting the headset is a future problem waiting to happen IMO, add a couple of years of no servicing, sweat, corrosion and the fun begins…

scotroutes

Aye, as above. Nice system when new and/or well maintained. We got them a couple of years ago on the hire fleet so it was essential to take them apart to understand how they work and how to adjust them for rider weight.

hols2
    Free Member

Sounds like they take themselves apart if you just sit back and wait a while.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/specialized-recalls-bikes-futureshock-headsets-404571

orangeboy
    Free Member

I changed loads of the headset collars under the recall but did not see any broken ones.

And yes think they will be a bit of a pain as they age.

I clicked on the thread expecting tails of woe after trying to take the actual shock but apart.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone taken apart a Specialized Future Shock headset yet?’ is closed to new replies.