Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • anyone still usings v’s
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just wondered if anyone is still using v brakes, am just building up a ht and am going to try them for low maintenance, not much off road.

How do you find them?

taka
    Free Member

i have some on some of my bikes there light and cheap =)

WTF
    Free Member

Yep, but tbh they are sh1t.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Got a set on my commuter. They work thats about all you can say for them. Another set of rims just about worn thru

takisawa2

I’m just about to…building an old Kona up for a laugh.
    Fully rigid also unless I can get some cheap suss forks.

will
    Free Member

On the cross bike yeh, but that doesn’t really count does it 😆

On the low maintenance side, always found them to be much more work than hydraulic discs,

Soup
    Free Member

Still using original XTR cantis on the hardtail. Never had a problem with them. Never let me down.

Reluctant
    Free Member

For a “not much offroad” bike, they’ll be fine. Of course discs are better, but a well set up and maintained set of Vs are still pretty powerful – in the dry anyway. My main off road bike has hydro discs, my other bikes have Vs or even old skool cantis and all get ridden offroad still. Cantis! Now they really don’t work! 😆

gizmo
    Free Member

I run xtr v’s and after a quite filthy winter would recommend going for the gore weather proof cables. I have replaced the cables several times since October, and the outers at least twice. But it was a foul winter…

kiwijohn

XTR v’s on the summer race bike. Only used on fine days. Saves weight & it don’t have disc mounts.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Still running Vs on my Klein.

julianwilson
    Free Member

v’s on my commuter/towpath kiddy trailer tug only.
    you don’t need anything more on the road.
    they weigh a bit less
    they are cheap (until you start eating rims, but my first set of rims lasted years even when i rode them in all sorts of offroad filth)
    they are a bit less nickable i suppose.
    easy to fix and set up/adjust wherever you are and whatever day of the week it is.

But the performance and extra weight of discs is well worth it for me for properly going offroad.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Got v’s on the the second HT I use for work and pottering about with the daughter. They work fine. My riding buddy swears by V’s.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

On the low maintenance side, always found them to be much more work than hydraulic discs,

Agreed. They need to be kept in tip-top condition, they need more adjustment and your wheels need to be bang-on true so they don’t drag. I wouldn’t have them on an off-road bike ever again.
    Having said that my missus has a Trek commuter and I’ve got a Roadrat with vees and they work superbly on both of those bikes, the Trek in particular has loads of power. To me that’s their natural home – Commuters & tourers.
    🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

I occasionally use the V, but I prefer the bird these days. The V seems a little quaint in these times whereas the bird is far more insulting.

oldgit
    Free Member

No, but building a mountain bike for cross use so I’ll be putting some on that might even use canti’s.

Wozza
    Free Member

I remember having to “tweak” my V brakes several times a ride before i got discs, bent rims, that gloopy mud even water degrades their performance.

I’m not going back to that, even if the power was the same they’re a chore.

If you are going to use them XTR are the only ones worth looking at.

onewheelgood

I still use Vs. With clean cables and well set up they are almost as powerful as disks. Used off-road a lot and you’ll wear out a lot of rims.

Avid work much better than Shimano in my experience and they are lighter. I use Single Digit Ti but they are expensive – the SD 7 are better value.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

magura HS33s?

brack
    Free Member

PMSL at you lot……’V brakes are shit’

What utter tosh….

I travelled to some pretty remote places during a 2 year break from the UK….met some pretty amazing none fashionista long haul cyclists, funny how not a single one of em had disc brakes! How on earth did they cope with the Himalayas, the Hindu Kush, the Andes, blah blah blah

Jeez Ive heard it all now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PMSL at you lot……’V brakes are shit’

Are you reading a different thread to me? There’s one person that’s said that, and that possibly tongue-in-cheek.

The rest of us seem to think they’re fine in certain situations at the very least.
    Engage brain before opening gob!
    🙂

brack
    Free Member

Errm yeah….must remember to do that occasionally….though there were a few slagging em 😳

Right Im off to find a desrted field and comitt v brakekarekare

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yup I still do .. makes you go faster and out of control as they don’t work 😉

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Yep have them on my ss – once set up right they are spot on – powerful and controlable – performance drops off in the wet but 1-2 turns of the wheel and they are good again

oldgit
    Free Member

Would’nt go back to them for every day use, perhaps it’s where I ride. But fully mud siezed up wheels were common as were exploding/worn rims.

Using them for cross with 1.5 & 1.35 tyres no problems there.

thepodge
    Free Member

i still use them on all my bikes cos i’m a tight wad and my frame / forks don’t have disc mounts

JustRide
    Free Member

Just taken V’s off my Gary Fisher. No problems using them during a rubbish winter but I used pads at an alarming rate and rims weren’t lasting a year. Also putting wheels on/off all the time I was forever having to adjust the screws to center the brakes.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Oh how things change i remember when v’s where the best thig since sliced bread , the power!!!! Still run them on the rear of my commuter/ hartail and they’re excellent.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘anyone still usings v’s’ is closed to new replies.