Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone SS at Cannock?? Just converted – probably for one day only. Any advice?
  • djflexure

Gear cable gave up so trying SS before replacing them. Thought maintenance would be easier through the winter plus I have a tendency to go easy in granny up the steep stuff. I failed to complete Kielder (did not make 80 mile checkpoint in time) due to being a bit slow up the hills. Wanted to try again next year – SS might encourage me to put some effort in. Going 32/18 in the first instance.

Any tips on what to expect. How long is it likely to take me to get used to it, if I ever do.

Might try a couple of laps at Cannock in the morning. I’ll be the one pushing.

speaker2animals

Don’t expect to get up stuff, especially steep and/or long, on your first few rides. I have found there is definitely a technique. Not sure I can describe it. It is a combination of lots of muscle/body English and subtlety. If you just go mad you will probably lose rear wheel traction. So you need to be able to muscle while getting a good body position to balance weight central over the bike. DON’T get negative if or when you need to walk up a hill. You will get there. The Chase is pretty ideal. The only problem I find is the frequency of climbs on the Chase that catch me out. I can get up surprising things but need to be able to recover. have fun.

sc-xc

Loads ride SS at the Chase – there’s nothing there that will get you walking, and it’s ace fun.

tazzymtb

no one would do such a silly thing on the chase.

tazzymtb

32:18 is fine for a winter ratio

chutney13
    Free Member

it will be fun. next time i go to cannock it will be with just one gear.

james0706
    Free Member

I would recommend cannock chase, there are loads of different tracks and its supurb !!!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve done it before..
    Only cos it was either the Ss or my Heckler.. And thought the Heckler was overkill..

I run 32:16, and can’t be described as fit, but I managed it all.

Badly, but got around 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

the key is momentum, if you can learn to carry it the technique makes things easier and you learn to stay off the brakes which will also complement your geared riding

Matt_SS_xc

yeh 32:16 is fine for cannock, one switchback is tricky, but all well rideable

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone SS at Cannock?? Just converted – probably for one day only. Any advice?’ is closed to new replies.