• This topic has 29 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by wl.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • orange 5 or a spicy???
  • dalesboyz
    Free Member

i am on the market to buy a full sus bike to ride hard!!! i have had 3 orange 5's and i loved them but, when i had a go on a spicy i loved that. So which one should i get?

which ever 1 i get it will be the 2011 1's

cheers luke

stevede
    Free Member

Surely it would make more sense to compare the spicy to an alpine 160 or the zesty to a five?
    Personally i'd go for a five but if i was you i'd extensively test both if your stumping up 2011 prices. Never ridden a lappierre and own a five so i'm biased and it's your opinion that counts most – i've never heard a bad word on the spicy either.

dalesboyz
    Free Member

the 5 would be the am spec wil the 36's up front not the smaller 32's that is why the which one should i get came in to mind

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    partyboy
    Free Member

The Spicy is a far superior bike, don't let the Orange fanboys persuade you otherwise 😉

slowrider
    Free Member

having owned both (admittedly only got the spicy today!) id say you cant make a bad choice either way. the five is an ace bike, no doubt. i ran mine with 36 talas and tbh should have gone for a float instead and got used to climbing it at full travel cos it was crap in the two shorter settings.
    an absolute riot if you can ignorw the noise and use the single pivot to your advantage.

the spicy (on first impressions) reminds me a lot of the five in that its quite low slung and stable with decent geometry. its definitely quieter and the rear suspension is great at just flying through stuff with no chatter, letting you push it harder and harder. i took mine out for half an hour tonight for the first ride and 3 runs in was hitting everything i do on my commy supreme.

chrisdb
    Free Member

so basically you're going to look like a sheep or a poser. great. 😀

cabbage84
    Free Member

You not fancy an alpine I noticed one in my lbs in newcastle for sale the other day for £2000 quite a saving off the 2800 rrp and normally gets tested in the same cat as the spicy

stevede
    Free Member

The new five with a 36 on it will be pretty slack – not sure in comparison to the spicy but i read somewhere that with 36's the five is even slacker than the alpine 160.

loddrik
    Free Member

I'd go with the 5, the French are weak, be it in the war or on car build quality, I couldn't trust their bikes.

Buy British young man, as Brian clough may have said…

dalesboyz
    Free Member

no a fat sheep or a fat poser!!!! slowerider which one is the better? taking the noise out off course and i have only had single pivot so should i go for a change?

dalesboyz
    Free Member

and orange is local to me as well, living near halifax 😉

stevede
    Free Member

Test a five, an alpine 160, a zesty and a spicy. 4 very good bikes,goes down to riding style and personal preference.

Brentstyle
    Free Member

I like both – but I think the 5 is a better ascender. Also, if like me, you regularly ride down tight-sinewy(sic) singletrack in muddy conditions then the 5 is probably best as it feels lower-slung and cleans easier too. If you ride rocky Andalucian trails go Spicy.

dalesboyz
    Free Member

i ride a lot of singletrack but i like a bike that i can fly down a downhill track with out going with a load bang!! and my other 5's have been able to do that. its just that everyone goes on about how old the single pivot is but is it the best??

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I've done 3 decent rides on my 5 since I got it. I only tested the 5 in the 1st place but after riding it I thought, 'there's not much point testing owt else, I want a 5'. I'm still not convinced that I would've found any bike that suited me better. But there again I'm a lazy git & really didn't have the time or the inclination to try another bike, I'm like that with everything, If i like it I get it without 'shopping around'
    I really really do rate the Orange. I'm climbing stuff I'd never managed before & going faster than I've ever done on DH's.

loddrik
    Free Member

I'd rather have a 575 or an Epiphany though..

dalesboyz
    Free Member

looks like another orange 5 for me again!!!

Northwind

Faced with the same choice I bought a Hemlock. Quite pleased I did really. But the Five and Spicy are both pretty damn amazing too.

loddrik – Member

"I'd go with the 5, the French are weak, be it in the war or on car build quality, I couldn't trust their bikes."

Ironically I've only seen 2 frames break in person since I started riding again, and both were Orange Fives 😉

igm

If you ever want to ride Dalby, it appears you just about have to have a Lapierre there to be allowed in now. I even saw a Lapierre road bike doing the forest drive.

Not sure what that adds to the argument.

loddrik
    Free Member

Dalby is full of cheese eating surrender monkeys?

elaineanne
    Free Member

don't let the Orange fanboys persuade you otherwise !!!!!!

:mrgreen: what about the orange fangirls 😉
    luv my five to bits…. Its STRONG !!!!!! 😉
    wouldnt mind testing a lappierre out some day tho, but i bet the orange is Stronger :mrgreen:

loddrik
    Free Member

To be fair most women are not really of a weight (who ride anyway…) that is likely to seriously test the strength of a bike.

elaineanne
    Free Member

you have a point there Loddrik, but in general Orange bikes are strong. havent heard of any cracked frames on ere yet bout orange ! so all is well in the Orange county !!!! :mrgreen:

igm

Took my 16st plus Wingnuts full of kit plus LOCT plus 2.5st of 4 year old son (so about 20st all up) down the 4x track at Les Gets on a Five – that heavy enough for ya Lodrick?

Letrip
    Free Member

I’d agree the Spicy vs Alpine 160. I rode both and chose the Alpine 160. (also looked at the Remedy)

Mainly because its clearly bomp proof, the Spicy was to ‘fussy’ lots to damage, maintain and go wrong. I’m fed up with my old bike in the LBS being repaired. Now I’ve got a true do it all bike!

JCL
    Free Member

Tough call. I’d probably go with the Enduro.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Spicy is a really nice bike. Try a remedy though they are pretty too.

That all said I’d go for a knolly delirium, or hang on for a TR250.

coogan
    Free Member

you have a point there Loddrik, but in general Orange bikes are strong. havent heard of any cracked frames on ere yet bout orange ! so all is well in the Orange county !!!!

I know someone who cracked an Alpine 160 swing arm the other week.

FuzzyWuzzy

Performance-wise there’s probably not much between them, looks-wise there’s only one choice (unless you’re blind or like girders).

wl
    Free Member

Alpine 160, or Five with 36s.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘orange 5 or a spicy???’ is closed to new replies.