Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone spent time on Shimano 12 speed on a SRAM cassette?
  • honourablegeorge

Any problems? Have used Shimano mech/shifter on 11s SRAM cassette for years, and never had a moment’s bother with it. Considering 12s for the new bike, but I’m told the spacing is just a hair off this time round, so not 100% on combining.

greyspoke
    Free Member

That is why I went for SRAM cassette and shifter (GX), Shimano mech (XT). Works fine.

martinhutch

Use an XTR shifter with X01 mech and GX cassette – no bother, or at least none that I’ve detected. The cassette is a bit clicky on one sprocket, but it did that with the GX shifter…

DT78
    Free Member

anyone using 12 speed xtr with a sram cassette? microspline is limiting hun choice

honourablegeorge

Hadn’t thought about mixing brands on mech & shifter – would always go Shimano for those. Kind of funny that they’ve ended up with the same pull after all these years.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Yup, but they obviously worried about it so made their cassettes different widths…

mattbee

Tried it briefly by putting wife’s wheel with GX cassette in my bike with XTR 12.
    It shifted fine. Not as smooth as with the Shimano cassette though and the quality of the shift, especially under load, with the Shimano cassette is the best thing about it imo so I’d try my best to find a solution that included microspline.

martinhutch

It seems fine to me, probably not as good shifting as an all-shimano drivetrain, but doesn’t seem any worse than the SRAM shifter it replaced. If there is a minor trade-off, I’ll accept that because I don’t like SRAM shifter action.

When the cassette etc wears out/mech breaks, I’ll move over to all Shimano 12 speed.

honourablegeorge

mattbee

Subscriber
    Tried it briefly by putting wife’s wheel with GX cassette in my bike with XTR 12.
    It shifted fine. Not as smooth as with the Shimano cassette though and the quality of the shift, especially under load, with the Shimano cassette is the best thing about it imo so I’d try my best to find a solution that included microspline.

Yeah… just that the X01 cassette is lighter and cheaper than XTR (much cheaper if you include the freehub), and GX also lighter than XT, and cheaper when freehub taken into account.

mattbee

Might be lighter and cheaper but it doesn’t shift as well. Pays yer money, etc….

martinhutch

GX also lighter than XT,

20 grams or so? Probably due to you getting a massive 51t instead of 50t.

I’d expect the price of shimano 12 speed to start falling a bit now. Cheapest I can see for an XT 10-51 is just about sub 100 now, can’t see a GX Eagle cassette for anywhere near that.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, XTR shifter and mech on an XX1 Eagle cassette.

No issues at all. Shifts as well as the old XX1 kit.

Main difference is the clutch works now.

Oh and the Shimano shifters are ergonomically rubbish compared to sram. I will swap that bit back at some point.

Sticking with SRAM cassettes though, every wheelset is XD so not swapping that back out. And they will last longer anyway, as they have less Alu in them 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

Gx cassette xtr mech been working spot on for 12 months. Cassette a a nd chain have about had it but will last till summer

martinhutch

So, in the unlikely event that my X01 mech doesn’t explode in the next six months, would folk reckon that keeping that with a Shimano cassette/crank/shifter would work fine? Or would I lose the benefits of the shifting improvements?

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob
    No issues at all. Shifts as well as the old XX1 kit.

Oh and the Shimano shifters are ergonomically rubbish compared to sram. I will swap that bit back at some point.

Good to hear. I’m used to Shimano so I suspect that won’t bother me

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Sorry to highjack this thread but have I missed something. I recently built up a Stooge Speedball using a do nor bike and new parts. So hope hubs and driver that I already had. Set up is Sunrace 11_50 cassette, xtr shifter, slx mech, currently shimano chain but have tried sram. Anyway I cannot get it set up properly. I am not new to this but am running out of ideas. Any suggestions??

twonks

@fatbikedog I used 11sp Sunrace 11-50 with XT mech and shifter and with a bit of playing with the B tension screw it shifted well. Occasionally jumps 2 when going down the block towards the smaller cogs but, nothing too serious and a click in the opposite direction lifts it back up.

To answer the OP, I bought a full 12sp X01 eagle groupset for my new bike. Worked very well but unlike Hob Nob I found the Sram shifter horrible to use as I’m used to shifting with my finger over the bars. Changed the shifter to a 12sp XTR and left the rest. Took an hour or so of fettling to get the tension correct but after then the performance has been great. Never missed a gear or rattled, rubbed, clattered etc.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Twonks. I am talking 12 speed.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone spent time on Shimano 12 speed on a SRAM cassette?’ is closed to new replies.