Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Anyone seen any meteors?
  • SST
    Free Member

tonight I mean. Not "ever".

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Thick cloud here, not likely, always the same in the midlands, whenever something interesting is around, clouds appear, last time Halle Bop came close, sky was clear but so much ambient lighting it was hardly visible.

curiousorange
    Free Member

It's a tad early I think. You really want to be looking after midnight. They peak on the 12 when on a good year in the right conditions you can expect to see 60+ an hour.

This year is expected to be a good one by the way, although of course the moon isn't playing ball.

nedrapier

I'm going to go for a walk about 11 I reckon. Get down the estuary away from the lights.

SST
    Free Member

I was outside now but it's still too light. Will try later and might even pop up onto the downs.

Surfr
    Free Member

I was planning on heading out with the camera for some time lapse and long exposures but it's thick cloud cover here in Mid Wales.

SST
    Free Member

I've seen a couple of pretty big ones so far. Clear skies, no Moon and little ambient town light in Worthing 🙂

I'm laying on a trampoline in a sleeping bag.

🙂

Gary_C

I'm laying on a trampoline in a sleeping bag.

Wife/GF kicked you out?? 😉

Mof
    Free Member

You would be hard pressed to see through the cloud and rain here with radar never mind the naked eye.

kimbers

clear skies above london nothin yet tho
    just under casiopeia accordin to the bbc im off to the bck garden

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Seen a couple of really bright ones in northern Hampshire, in 10 mins of watching. Nice clear night here, the moon is probably too bright to see the fainter ones though.

kimbers

saw 1 , quite bright (have to be to see thru light pollution in london!)

streaked overhead from nor,nor east just to the right and paralel with the right hand arm of the casiopia W

tyger
    Free Member

Yeah, just seen my first

corroded
    Free Member

Apart from the bright moon, perfect conditions in north Hampshire. Saw a couple of good ones but not exactly raining flaming chunks of rock.

kimbers

yeah seen about 5 in an hour im off to bed with a stiff neck

Drac

Cloudy here so no chance.

JxL
    Free Member

I thought the main part will be tomorrow (wednesday) to thursday?

Thinking about going up Rivington to see it if it is clear (around midnight).

SST
    Free Member

I saw around 30 in the end – a few up to 5 secs long, the rest gone in a flash.

Milkie
    Free Member

I was leaving the farm at around 11pm, and didn't see any! It was a clear sky until midnight when it clouded over.

Camera is charged, laptop charged, DeepSkyTracker installed, ready for action tonight.

Milkie
    Free Member

I meant this.. DeepSkyStacker

SST
    Free Member

Is it any good Milkie?

Spongebob
    Free Member

None yet. Damn mozzies spoilt it!

The most awesome meteor shower was in the late 80's, There were literally hundreds. I was driving back from a call our 100 miles from home. The radio chat snows were innundated with calls.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

bit cloudy up here in Cumbria 😥

jedi

88/89 is was the best meteor shower of all

MrOvershoot

I saw stars this evening… but that's because I crashed 🙁

john_drummer
    Free Member

I saw The Meteors once, in Chester.

eldridge
    Free Member

Just setting off outside now, with compass to find NE and video camera on tripod to record amazing heavenly phenomena.

I'll be back on here tomorrow to share my amazing experiences!!!

eldridge
    Free Member

Biggest non-event since the millenium bug

One poxy little streak of light at the limits of my peripheral vision in 45 minutes continuous observation

Why do "scientists" keep hyping up these things?

shinsplints

I've just been out in the garden (Shropshire) & trodden in a cat poo.Brilliant.So much for heavenly phenomena.I am now looking for new handlebars instead on t'internet.

marty
    Free Member

10 in about 30 minutes of watching around 22:30. too much light still in the sky/light pollution for a proper view. shoulda headed a bit further north.

druidh
    Free Member

Just back from the Pentlands. The wee bit of light cloud is being illuminated by the bright moon, but in the section of sky that was otherwise clear, we were averaging one a minute or so. I think it was supposed to peak at 100/hour?

Northwind

Druidh, you weren't the poor sod I scared half to death at Clubbiedean were you?

(I was lying at the side of the trail, watching meteors- saw a few, worth the trip to get away from the streetlights- and this guy on a hardtail pulled up about 4 feet away, but didn't see me… I think he was just having a rest. I thought I'd better break the silence, so I said "DARK, ISN'T IT!" though a wee bit louder than I meant to- he gave a little girly shriek and rode off, then shouted abuse at me from down the trail. Oops!)

Anyway- thoroughly nice night out, wee ride, bit of meteorite watching… Not sure how many I saw, 20 or so in about 30-40 minutes I reckon, though some were total squibs, the good ones were very impressive. After scaring that guy I ended up with some tunes on, the soundtrack from Final Fantasy 7 is flawless stargazing music.

druidh
    Free Member

Nah – I was over beside the Ranger Centre at Harlaw with my daughter. Funny though – we were lying on the track and it did occur to me that some biker might come round the corner and run us over. I'm not sure who would have got the biggest shock.

MrNutt
    Free Member

day of the triffids ruined them for me!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seen any meteors?’ is closed to new replies.