Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Riding at 4000ft (almost) in the Cairngorms
  • enmac
    Free Member

Made the most of the weather over the weekend and did the Beinn a Bhuird (11th highest mountain in Scotland – 3975′) ascent then down via the Snek through Slugain – fantastic ride but a bit tired by the end.

lowey

Look ace.

rOcKeTdOg

awesome!

grumm
    Free Member

Nice one – looks great.

catnash
    Free Member

Nice epic ride.

peachos
    Free Member

wow! just from those pics that’s one for the summer calendar. looks amazing.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is the route available online? Looks like a corker – what sort of length are we talking?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

really nice

peachos
    Free Member

have you got any route details online>GPS etc?? might even look to do this next week as up that way for the world cup…

enmac
    Free Member

It is 40 km, about 5 hrs. Start at Keiloch car park, head up the Dee to Inverquoich, cross the bridge at the Devil’s Punchbowl, then up Glenquoich. After a few miles you will cross the Quoich again and Beinn a Bhruid is in front of you. Follow the track and, you then have an 800m climb that just goes on and on. The path becomes indistinct on the top, but head for North Top and then head East. Go to the right of a small hill, then down into the Snek, careful here it is very steep and loose. The path from here starts rough and rocky but further on is smooth with drainage ditches – follow this all the way back to Keiloch via Invercauld.

Sanny
    Free Member

Classic ride. I rode it again at the start of May. The descent down the scree slope is a saddle down hoot and the singletrack thereafter is a real grin inducer.

Did you guys nip up onto Ben Avon as well? It’s a short carry made worth the price of admission by the amazing tors at the summit. I nipped up Ben Lomond yesterday. It was scorchio and hoaching with walkers but I managed to find a lull in the walkers and had a terrific run back down. Scotland rocks! 😀

Cheers

Sanny

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Been fancying that one as well. Had heard that the number and size of water bars across the descent into Slugain was almost designed to deter bikers. Comments? Do you need to be a better hopper than a space hopper with hiccups?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Looks great.

Might be in the diary for next weekend…

enmac
    Free Member

Yes, the water bars are a pain, most are hoppable but a full-susser certainly makes a difference and tubeless tyres an advantage. Both my mates mis-timed a front-wheel lift and smacked their shoulders. Here are a few more pics – particularly like the two of the Snek.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

nice 1

Garry_Lager

Awesome mate.

What is the climb like, can you ride it or is it a big push?

enmac
    Free Member

The climb is surprisingly rideable, you even used to be able to drive up years ago. However, climbing 800m all in one go tends to mean you just have to get off and push just to use some different muscles – it is a huge relief when you get to the top.

bruneep

stay away nothing to see up there.

druidh
    Free Member

Looks rubbish. I bet there wasn’t any uplift, no trail markers and you had to take your own food and drinks. You guys have no idea what mountain biking is.

chvck
    Free Member

Very, very jealous!

andywhit
    Free Member

Very nice, we don’t get much of that near Guildford 😆

RepacK
    Free Member

Fantastic well done guys looks like a great ride! V jealous!

Keva
    Free Member

cool banana

jwr

Was that the Neep ride? I was seriously thinking about joining you, but work got in the way… looks like you had a great day out.

-j

enmac
    Free Member

Yes, it was a Neep ride. Had intended to do Mount Keen but the fantastic weather was too good an opportunity to miss.

mcboo
    Free Member

See thats what our sport is all about. Whas like us…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Looks good. I was out in the mountains on foot yesterday and found myself looking at bits thinking – “ridable?” Anyone been up Beinn A’Ghlo by bike?

Sanny
    Free Member

TJ

I’ve always wondered about that. I rode / carried to the summit of Ben Vrackie the Friday after Easter and looked accross to the paths on Beinn A’Ghlo. I’m keen to give it a go.

It’s on the list of big mountains up here in Jockland that I want to ride.

Cheers

Sanny

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We did all three Munros in the group. None of the routes up would be ridable but the riding between the munroes would be awesome as would some of the descents. Nasty amount of erosion on the paths tho.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Riding at 4000ft (almost) in the Cairngorms’ is closed to new replies.