Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone ridden the "new" twrch, yet?
  • fadda

Assuming it’s now open (I think it was planned for this week?), has anyone ridden it? Comparison to the old trail?

Just wondering, as I may get there tomorrow to try it out…

Kryton57

How bizarre, I was going to post this same question today as I’m working in PontyPool next Friday morning, seems a shame not to stake a bike before heading home.

kayak23

Going there tomorrow most likely. Hopefully they’ve got rid of all the climbs… 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Nothing new about it, it’s very nearly exactly the same as the old one. It’s running lovely too. Reports of it being destroyed were a bit over exaggerated. Stick to the trail though, there is still heavy machinery about and conflicts will result in it being closed again.

fadda

Kayak – I think it was in the replanning that they’ve found a way to make it downhill all the way from the car park, to the car park.

The trail also ends right next to your car, wherever you’ve parked it, and the cafe is always right next to you, as well.

Physics is different over here – no vowels, you see… 😆

Edit: just seen yours, wrecker – great news, thanks!

sideshow
    Free Member

And I suppose the three wooden drops and wallride are back, right, but they only appear if you’re good enough to do them… 😉

DT78
    Free Member

So both trails are fully open now then?

wrecker
    Free Member

Yep.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fab, I thought it was going to be years before they fixed it.

Might pop over this weekend for a double.

a bit over exaggerated

As opposed to under exaggerated? 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

As others have said it’s mostly reopened bar a bit at the start. It’s largely the same, +mud in places and -trees pretty much everywhere.

I miss the tress, still 20-30 years and it’ll be good as new!

wrecker
    Free Member

As opposed to under exaggerated?

Hmmm. Now you mention it, the “over” is a bit redundant. 39 years I’ve been saying that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Consistency in trails is over-rated. Where I started off MTBing the trails would be extensively remodelled every time a party of horses decided to use them.

egb81
    Free Member

fadda – Member
    Physics is different over here – no vowels, you see

Physcs?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ffisiciau?

(actually it’s ffiseg)

samcheese
    Free Member

To be accurate – or pedantic – neither Cafall or Twrch are ‘fully open’.

Once you finish the initial singletrack climb out of the car park, you are diverted onto a double track down to the road. Until it reopens I’ll be riding up the road to the start of the ‘proper’ climbs.

kayak23

fadda – Member
    Kayak – I think it was in the replanning that they’ve found a way to make it downhill all the way from the car park, to the car park.

Brilliant. I always said they should do that. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes but the trail is now 0m long.

fadda

Think how quickly you can be scoffing post-ride cake, now!

kayak23

Well, I can confirm that the climbs are all still there.

Did a loop of Cafell, quick lunch and freeze to death, then dragged myself around the Twerk..
    It’s pretty much just as it was, only some sections are now without trees. I think this makes them muddier.

The weather today was just mental though..
    Persisting down constantly and very strong winds. The only saving grace was they were sometimes a tail wind giving you a boost up bits of the climb.

I’m a bit tired now…

SaxonRider

molgrips – Member
    Fab, I thought it was going to be years before they fixed it.

Might pop over this weekend for a double.

Have you gone yet molgrips?

I wouldn’t mind hitting it tomorrow afternoon…

deadkenny
    Free Member

So like all the good bits at Afan, it’s been stripped of trees?

I know the trails are technically the same but lack of trees diminishes trails so much. I even still miss the trees on the old Summer Lightning in Surrey Hills. Used to be fun quick swoopy bit in the trees, now it’s just meh on a bit of bleak exposed land and feels a chore to ride, not fun.

(I accept though that tree disease means those at Afan/Cwm had to go, just sad 🙁 )

molgrips
    Free Member

I was going to, but **** that weather. Tomorrow for sure though. When you free? Did you get your wheels sorted? Sorry u never got round to giving you those adapters.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Agree about the start of the old Summer Lightning.
    Boring.
    Now someone’s gone and flattened the stony second section.
    Why?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden the "new" twrch, yet?’ is closed to new replies.