Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • duir
    Free Member

It’s just not what I expected from a company like Nicolai

Delivery dates can be hit and miss with Nicolai, I don’t think it means they have poor customer service. When you are a small company often making things to order, it doesn’t take much for something to throw a big spanner in the works, like one of your welders going ill etc.

My last two Nicolai’s I ordered then tried to forget about delivery dates and got on with my life, which is very different to buying a mass produced bike from a large batch manufacturer. Just think in 6 weeks when you would have been getting your Geometron you will be changing a full set of tiny Mondraker bearings instead!!! 😀

speedstar

Hi Duir,

TBH they aren’t THAT small though are they?! And they are also not new! Given they produce hundreds of frames a year, I would have thought that planning ahead would be an essential part of their business model. I’m sure some people can tolerate these kind of waits but it’s not just that. I specifically asked them to confirm just a few days ago that it would be arriving when they initially said it would and I was again reassured that was the case. I was speaking to a guy from Mojo earlier and they have a lot of G16 frames on order that are also being postponed by 6 weeks. Can this really just be one person being unwell?! If they are that small then their whole business is very vulnerable in that case.

Personally I can’t wait as I have been needing a bigger bike for a long time. In regards bearings, I may just buy some spares now lol!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

A custom geometry Anciotti Fry or the new Scarab Evo isn’t that much more – and by custom – I mean **** everything, not just the head angle and top tube length – but the leverage ratio, chainstay length, BB height…the works.

Cancel and order a lotti Scarab Evo in either 27.5 or 29.

Want. With an an Ohlins though.

You may have to wait a while though, but **** it – who gives a shit – there literally won’t be another bike like yours.

Mines going to have angles based on how I think my Reign could be improved, +15mm to the reach (475mm reach), 339mm BB height, 342mm chainstay length, 64 degree head angle. Tempted to drop the BB height even further and go for a really aggressive leverage ratio to keep it riding a bit higher when under compression.

thepodge
    Free Member

Those Ancillotti do have a certain charm to them, very 90s feel to them

Wookster

That Ancillotti is a case in point of beauty in the eye of the beholder……

Chainline
    Free Member

speedstar, honourablegeorge that was a Mojo frame saying there were frames in stock.

I’m checking now, unless you asked Speedster and they didn’t have your size.

Nicolai make hundreds of frames a year, yes, mostly to order, 3 welders. That is a small company by any standards I think people believe they are much larger than they really are, but yes finding out about a delay in this way is indeed frustrating and I they could sometimes manage these aspects better.

Chainline
    Free Member

That should have said a Mojo ‘social media post’ saying frames were in stock.

On the G13 and travel, it was designed as a short travel 29er by Nicolai. I think it’s fair to say the stock G13 isn’t quite what Mojo wanted, although not far away (I think the biggest question was shock length restricting choice of shocks), in much the same way as the G16 wasn’t far away being based on the original design, it’s just Mojo didn’t get asked in time what improvements they would recommend based on all the customer feedback and testing that had been done…

Obviously there is also a GeoMetron 29er which is basically a 29er version of the Mojo bike but that is currently only made to order but that is 150mm+ rear travel.

Don’t be surprised if future versions of the G13 are not different. Either from the factory or via a Mojo special as the G13 has been super well received, with many people asking for ‘more’. No comment on whether it needs it merely that people have asked!

If the G13 evolves I would anticipate a)slacker HA/steeper ST b) different shock length to allow the fitment of an X2 c) more than one shock length/travel option a la G16 d) rated for a longer travel fork.

The above is speculation. I know feedback on the G13 has been great and the shorter travel clearly works very wel (I’ve only just got mine so can’t comment yet but it has already got a -2 angleset in it..!. Some people have gone custom and had 150mm rear travel versions built.

The current GeoMetron G16 is super flexible and a weapon with a 29 front wheel with tuned fork. It may be that that is the best compromise for a more aggressive, longer travel bike with the lighter smaller rear wheel giving great carve and turn in and suspension performance (less sprung weight) and the rear has less impact on rollover especially on a bike with the GeoMetron geo.

Interesting times..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I like the look of the G13 and the Scarab, Im not sure how you could accuse the Lotti of being the ugly 1990’s looking one though…..the G13 has a pretty brutal utilitarian look to it.

I mean, how is this….ugly

Ancillotti presenta la Scarab Evo 29

Its got such a lovely organic look to it – and the mass centralisation/shock packaging is sublime. Dont know why theyre still calling it a pull shock though…..its a pull type moto link but not a pull shock.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Looking at that lower picture my worry would be how well that shock is going to perform when completely buried in Great British mud.

It’s certainly a different look and definite eye-bleach for me.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Pretty sure it would perform just fine, like their old ones did – my brother used to race them.

Italian winters are pretty muddy as well…it’s also basically the same tried and tested design and shock placement that you will find on all MX bikes. Again, we never had an issue with mud.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I don’t see how that is any more exposed than many of the other multi link/VPP designs that people bang on about on here. Eg the newer Nomads catch a lot of mud in the recessed housing for the lower link.

thepodge
    Free Member

I really do like the Ancillotti but then I grew up lusting after the crazy bikes in the 90s from people like Sintessi.

MDE will also do you a full custom frame but this is a Nicolai thread.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Meh, MDE will do the head angle, seat tube length and reach – but nothing properly crazy like chainstay length, BB height and leverage ratio – eg design a bike ground up for you.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If the G13 evolves I would anticipate a)slacker HA/steeper ST b) different shock length to allow the fitment of an X2 c) more than one shock length/travel option a la G16 d) rated for a longer travel fork.

I don’t know why they’d do this, 64 degrees is a great base angle to work from, there aren’t many courses steep enough in the UK for a 62 degree head angle to work well on…single crowns on super slack bikes always feel odd to me as they bind a bind a bit too much. When the terrain becomes steep this issue disappears. What’s nice about 64 is that when you go out to the alps you can run a 63/62 degree head angle, when you’re in the UK you can steepen it up to 65ish. In an ideal world I’d like adjustable chainstay lengths as well, to keep the weight distribution closer to stock when altering the head angle.

64 feels like the most usable, set and forget gravity oriented head angle setting for UK riding, but that’s just my bullshit preference I guess…I feel that it’s a good compromise angle. I rarely feel like bikes with this head angle are too twitchy (especially 29ers), yet they’re still responsive enough for all but the tamest of trails.

The G13 is certainly the bike out of the range that catches my eye for UK riding.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

To add….basically, I’d love if if someone could build me a bike like the G13 – but with 10mm or so of adjustment at the chainstay, a couple of shock mounting positions for BB height – and of course a headtube diameter that I can throw a zero stack angleset on. The Nicolai does the latter, the Lotti has a variable shock position and does the latter as well – but neither allow me to mess with the chainstay length….which is what I really really want.

Northwind

I love ancillottis usually but that one looks like it’s already cracked its seatpost and had a shitty repair done by ESC Golf. The 27.5 is even uglier there, looks like an ebay “custom perfornance exhaust”. Still, overall I like it…

thepodge
    Free Member

Nicolai use a bolt on dropout, would imagine it’s not too difficult to make it adjustable even if it’s done third party

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

That welding is on both sides Northwind, I’m pretty sure that’s they have to weld in the lower seatube that has been flared for stiffness.

I like it, I think the graphics ruin them though and they’d be off straight away…

I think the overall shape and design would look **** amazing in carbon though…

chiefgrooveguru

To add….basically, I’d love if if someone could build me a bike like the G13 – but with 10mm or so of adjustment at the chainstay, a couple of shock mounting positions for BB height – and of course a headtube diameter that I can throw a zero stack angleset on. The Nicolai does the latter, the Lotti has a variable shock position and does the latter as well – but neither allow me to mess with the chainstay length….which is what I really really want.

My Spitfire is quite like that. I’m running a -2 deg headset and 150mm fork, which gives it a head angle of 64.1/64.6/65.1 deg depending on dropout position. I have two sets of dropouts (technically they’re 26″ or 27.5″ versions but there’s plenty of room for a 27.5×2.3 Maxxis with the 26″ ones) which give chainstay lengths of 431/429/427mm or 441/439/437mm (again varying with dropout position).

The BB height is 335/341/347mm. I could run a 160mm fork for more slackness and a slightly higher BB (or 26″ wheels for a lower BB). The newer versions have a 6mm lower BB and the 2017 version is slightly lighter and only has the lower two geometry settings. They’re all 140mm rear travel with 26% linkage progression.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’ve repeatedly considered a Spitfire Chief. They just need to offer custom reaches and I’d go for one – I’m built odd – 6 foot but most of it’s in my legs, so whilst I like a long bike – my taste would be towards size small Nicolai Geometron but with a long head tube and an 18/19 inch seattube…. because of my build and the fact that I prefer a more upright, chest out moto position on a bike – too streched out does my **** neck in on long descents and encourages me to look at my wheels instead of entry/exit points/down the track. A 475mm reach combined with a 25mm P-Dent stem would be a perfect fit for me and my style of riding.

You’re right, I could probably get adjustable chainstays knocked up – are Nicolai still doing basic custom geometry?

duir
    Free Member

@speedstar sorry only teasing, the mondraker will be an awesome bike.

You have a fair point and in your shoes I would be hacked off about your Nicolai situation. It’s one of the down sides of Nicolai is you simply can’t rely on their timescales, sometimes they are much longer and even much quicker than planned. All I can say is they are very much worth the wait.

Chainline
    Free Member

You haven’t seen that the adjustable chain stay, requested last year… is now part of the deign, pics up on social media. Not sure that they have come through yet on production bikes. I’m expecting it on a bike just ordered.

Also don’t agree with your 64 angle ref. binding, don’t know how you set your forks up but done properly and serviced regularly not an issue. That said, work ongoing to reduce internal friction further.

The head angle has a material effect on the steering feel due to increasing flop factor, which on a very long bike is key to steering initiation at high speed.

Chainline
    Free Member

[/url]IMG_0698 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Have a G-16 on order for a customer and has been delayed twice.
    Was due just before xmas, then wk 3, now saying end of next week.
    Also has new 2017 rear end as Chainline,s picture.

I am still on my 3 year old Ion16 but fancy changing it to a G-16 frame at some point.
    Really interested in the G-13 as i also have a Hightower and use that a lot. G-13 looks like a perfect Trail bike

Gotama
    Free Member

Can anyone that understands suspension shizzle well tell me if a coil spring will work on a G13? Quite tempted to swap out the float x for either the DB Coil Inline or the Ohlins but not sure if coil will play nicely with the suspension design.

chiefgrooveguru

Can anyone that understands suspension shizzle well tell me if a coil spring will work on a G13? Quite tempted to swap out the float x for either the DB Coil Inline or the Ohlins but not sure if coil will play nicely with the suspension design.

Yes, it’ll work very well with a coil.

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/nicolai-ion-g13-29-2017.html

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks chief.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Interesting Chainline! That looks like a great addition.

Is it still possible to get custom geometry on the G series of bikes? I think my issues with circa 500mm reach bikes may be down to my riding style, body type and the fact that I ride flats as opposed to being clipped in.

63/64 is as slack as slack as I see fit for UK riding though, I really cant see myself going to something mad like 59 to 62.

If I went to or below 63, I think Id want a custom version of the 180mm bike with Fox 40s.

thepodge
    Free Member

Wasn’t there something about below 62 degrees steering starts to speed up again?

And I’m sure you can still customise the G range. I was looking at a medium with a small seat tube but decided against it.

Chainline
    Free Member

Yes you can go as custom as you like via Mojo or any other dealer or direct.

It was me who said steering speeds up as you drop the HA, materially as you go below 63 in feel although it’s a proportional change on paper. See the table earlier in the thread for the changes. It is a combo of HA and trail and how it generates the tendency of the bike to drop. Flop is the distance the centre of the front hub drops from straight ahead to 90deg.

You don’t lose stability but you change the way the steering reacts to input. Not everyone likes that feeling, like everything else.

Chainline
    Free Member

Have an interesting project on the go at the moment for a proper kids/youngster/smaller person bike, well specced and built light (fit for purpose) but fully featured and capable with no compromises.

Looking at 4’9″/145cm up to about 5’5″/ 165cm. Super low ST/Stanadover for 125/150mm dropper posts, no compromises on rear travel or suspension. Plenty of Flexibility/adjustment – wheelsize/front fork spec/travel and to an extent reach,

Headlines
    145mm-160mm rear travel,
    160mm to 180mm front travel
    350mm ST
    668mm standover (27.5 wheels/2..35 tyres) lower with 26″ or 26/27.5

Trail to DH use.

duir
    Free Member

63/64 is as slack as slack as I see fit for UK riding

Which part of the UK are you talking about? I use mine as an all day bike for massive rides in the Lakes and Scotland and I find the slack head angle never hinders up or down, it just feels like a normal bike.

I strongly advise you to demo one because it simply can’t be assessed accurately on paper or visually.

I would be very cautious if going custom as the Geometron works because of the sum of all the angles together.

jimplops

Looking at 4’9″/145cm up to about 5’5″/ 165cm. Super low ST/Stanadover for 125/150mm dropper posts, no compromises on rear travel or suspension. Plenty of Flexibility/adjustment – wheelsize/front fork spec/travel and to an extent reach,

Headlines
    145mm-160mm rear travel,
    350mm ST

Now that sounds intriguing, I’d love to know more.

LAT

Now that sounds intriguing, I’d love to know more

Me too. My wife is 5″ and is riding an 11 year old Titus Racer-X in XXsmall, but she has decided that she wants a new bike.

speedstar

Druin I am disappointed to be honest. The Dune is going to be a fantastic bike but I had my heart set on a geometron tbh! Ah life. I just can’t wait as getting some coaching etc for the new season. The Dune is incredibly beautiful to look at though!

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve repeatedly considered a Spitfire Chief. They just need to offer custom reaches and I’d go for one – I’m built odd – 6 foot but most of it’s in my legs, so whilst I like a long bike – my taste would be towards size small Nicolai Geometron but with a long head tube and an 18/19 inch seattube…. because of my build and the fact that I prefer a more upright, chest out moto position on a bike – too streched out does my **** neck in on long descents and encourages me to look at my wheels instead of entry/exit points/down the track. A 475mm reach combined with a 25mm P-Dent stem would be a perfect fit for me and my style of riding.

Have you looked at the 2017 geometry – they’ve shortened the seat tubes, so the XL is only 19.3″. I know I could run a 170mm dropper with room to spare on the 2017 L and I’m a couple of inches shorter than you. The head tubes are short but in practice that just means you have to use higher bars and more spacers and deduct a bit off the reach compared to a bike with a taller head tube and the same reach figure on the chart.

With most bars the grips end up in line with the steerer tube with a 35mm stem so I don’t see much benefit to going shorter (unless you’re rolling the bars forward because you prefer the angles), as a negative effective stem length makes the bike more nervous as you hit things that cause a deceleration (due to the rider weighing more than the bike).

I have one bike with ~450mm reach and 5mm effective stem length (35mm actual) and another bike with ~430mm reach and 15mm effective stem length (50mm actual). I too am longer legged than most and prefer a more upright body position (my hardtail with ~450mm reach used to have ~465mm reach and a 50mm actual stem and it was too long for me).

I’ve been amazed at how a 64 deg head angle can work on flatter twistier slower trails – it was unsurprisingly awesome on fast gnarr too. I don’t think bushing bind is likely to be an issue when you consider the direction of the forces initiating most suspension movement (if there is any binding it could reduce pedal and pump bob whilst being active from impacts). The problem I do see from ever slackening head angles relates to loading the tyres evenly in tight quick turns, especially with trees getting in the way, on trails where longer chainstays start to push the wheelbase to impractical lengths.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Have an interesting project on the go at the moment for a proper kids/youngster/smaller person bike, well specced and built light (fit for purpose) but fully featured and capable with no compromises.

Headlines
    145mm-160mm rear travel,
    350mm ST

Trail to DH use.

Chainline, you’ve definately earned yourself some cash there in the medium term future as the missus is 5 foot 1/2 or whatever. 668mm standover on such a long travel bike is pretty nuts! I’m pretty impressed by the level of commitment being shown to varied riders/builds.

Chainline
    Free Member

I’ll put the geo up. I need to mod the drawing slightly for public use!

It will only be possible to run a non-piggy back shock. We’ve discussed it and given the nature of the riders in terms of likely weights can’t see a piggy back being necessary. using a piggy back would add 25mm to standover.

jimplops

I’d have thought with the latest shocks from Fox it wouldn’t be needed anyway. Looking forward to the drawings.

Chainline
    Free Member

Chris doesn’t think it needs it.

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.