Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone recommend a good childs seat?
  • oopnorth
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a childs seat for my 2 year old, I have a trailer but sometimes I`m restricted where I can go due to the width.
    So what is good out there? I like the idea of a seat in front of me rather than attached to the seatpost but not sure if it will get in the way of me steering etc.
    Any opinions / recommendations?

binners

The Hamax ones are all good. The system with which they attach on to the frame means you can whip them on and off in a matter of seconds. Or you can attach them easily to a number of different bikes.

Get one of these and the little blighter can happily nod off in there too

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/11845/Hamax_Siesta_Recliner_Child_Seat

acjim
    Free Member

very happy with the copilot limo, but that's a behind the seat job.

alex222
    Free Member

Theres one I saw in Ireland. It had chains all over it along with some wierd stains, the restraining system was second to none though.

lardman
    Free Member

Hamax siesta thingy for my monster too!

He loves it. Easy on and off, and the bars they come mounted on act as a little bit of suspension for him too! Takes out the speed bumps a bit.

catfood
    Free Member

Got one of these, very good, you can get a bracket that attaches to the stem, dont notice baby c on there at all.

http://www.bobike.nl/products/en/bobike_mini+.htm?fluxmenu=m2____m9

oopnorth
    Free Member

Catfood – Do you find the little one is "a bit in your face"? I like the idea of him being in front but I don`t want him in the way, causing potential crashes.

hosepipe
    Free Member

don't get one where child is infront of you. rubbish things. not as safe (although no child seat is that safe). don't get that admittedly very nice rack-mounted one either, the copilot. It's ok, but the child feels the bumps through the rack, so child less likely to nod off when tired! best option (i've discovered after buying the wrong one, the copilot) is the ever popular hamax, as it clamps to your frame and the steel bars are like gentle suspension and it gently rocks your child to sleep if tired, and it's comfy for kid when he/shes awake.

do please ignore me if you want to

oopnorth
    Free Member

Thanks for advice, I`ll take a look at the Hamax.

gab344
    Free Member

My son, and daughter have enjoyed using this very safely now
    for the last two years. It's a big plus for them, to have a clear view ahead.

I also own a rear mounted seat (co-pilot limo) but have found it is very hard to have shared son and daughter moments (WOW look at that!!! etc..) when all they can clearly see is your arse.

The loct fits nicely on a FS bike too, with no frame knobbling clamps, it is, however, a bit dear…

Just remember who your passenger is and ride accordingly!

Myself, and the kids think its great 😀

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have a hamax one and its excellent. It is surplus to requirements so if you want it for a nominal fee your welcome to it.

Its the one that also reclines so the little un can sleep away 🙂

I am based in carlisle if that helps

catfood
    Free Member

The bobike sits a bit further forward and higher than lots of front kiddie seats because of the way it attaches to the stem, I also have it on a very upright bike with swept back bars so he doesnt get in the way at all.
    As for safety I only pootle when Ive got Tom with me, dont think I ever go above about ten miles an hour and only where theres no traffic, also he wont be hit by the bars if we fall over.

yetidave
    Free Member

what binners said. ^^

on and off in seconds, easy to adjust, can fall asleep on way home. I leave the boss on the frame all the time and sometimes hit my knees on it, but usually fine.

StuF

Thing to watch with the hamax one's I've got is that it fits your frame and isn't too low otherwise every bump you go over the seat bounces on your back tyre – also you might have to ride flats to get your feet a little bit further forward to stop your heels catching the little one's toes.

Saying that 3 of my kids have loved it – 'faster, Dad, faster' as you start going back up hill again!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

a good shop should have a couple of different mounting bars for the hamax seats…(we do!) which would sort out this problem…second what everyone else said about hamax…weve only sold them for the last 3-5 years and theyre brilliant,easy to fit,spares easy to get,biggest selling seat in europe…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend a good childs seat?’ is closed to new replies.