Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone on here ever gone wassailing?
  • SaxonRider

As above, really. I am thinking it might be a fun thing to do with the family after Christmas, but other than being introduced to the idea of Mari Lwyd a number of years back, I don’t know what to expect.

Do people just generally wander around singing and drinking cider until they can’t stand anymore?

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve been to a few, bit singing & warding away evil spirits with a shotgun fired over the trees.

Get the wassail maiden to tip some cider around the base of the trees to ensure a good harvest.

Pissed up pigs can be amusing If they feed the squashed apples to them!

slowoldman

That’s sort of the idea. Rather depends how much cider is available.

kayak23

Cougar

I have. It was crap, I didn’t catch a single wassail.

mariner
    Free Member

Free cider, toast and shot guns.
    What could go wrong?

Markie
    Free Member

Every year for the last four or so. Fun enough. Wander round the village singing songs, drinking mead, lifting Jr up so she can put mead soaked bread into trees, smacking trees with sticks for some unspecified pagan purpose. Watch the border morris troupe and feel glad that I’m not a newcomer to the village.

Nice way to spend an afternoon!

Poopscoop

Bookmarking..never heard of this before but a quick Google throws up some local events.👍

SaxonRider

Where in the UK are you, @Poopscoop? There seem to be a good number in the West Country, and I know of more than a few in Wales.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hello to Jason Isaacs

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Been to a few down here in Somerset. One of our sites holds a wassailing event, which is well attended by families with cider, music and dancing.

May head to the Sheppy’s one in the new year.

andy8442
    Free Member

I’d thought there’d be a member of the church here.

pedlad

Yep along with a few hundred others in the village – great atmosphere with fire torches and some in character outfits – always get some grumpy bugger in a car trying to get through the crowd being jeered at – don’t they know this is deepest ‘shire?!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Since you’re Canadian you might enjoy the fine British/Newfoundland folk tradition of Mumming which is popular at this time of year too. Someone will be doing it in a pub near you.

SaxonRider

I’d thought there’d be a member of the church here

Dafuq?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

If you go wassailing but don’t drink is that abseiling?

addy6402

All good fun, banging pots and pans, hanging toast in trees, shouting yourself hoarse and some Mummers action….plus the hot cider!

Poopscoop

SaxonRider

Subscriber
    Where in the UK are you, @Poopscoop? There seem to be a good number in the West Country, and I know of more than a few in Wales.

I’m down here in Kent mate. There are a few local ones on it would seem.👍

Oblongbob

Hello to Jason Isaacs. Another member here. Wonder how many wittertainees there are on here. They would all read this thread I’m sure.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here ever gone wassailing?’ is closed to new replies.