Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone know what state Afan is in at the moment?
  • mmchutchon
    Free Member

Thinking of a group trip from Exeter in the next 6-8 weeks to camp for a weekend. I know there’s work going on and have read the update on their website, but what’s it like in practice on the ground?

Thanks,

Mark

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Tends to be all open at weekends although during the week some tree felling. Nothing closed last weekend. Not too sure about skyline bits are reopening and closing all the time.

greeble
    Free Member

there’s some new stuff there…..

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Where is that greeble?

greeble
    Free Member

its the wall
    well not sure where on the wall but there’s a few new sections there

found it on the cognation website

Milkie
    Free Member

Where is that greeble?

It is before the start, right at the start where you are supposed to walk your bikes down the gravel track, just after going under the road/bridge. It wasn’t open last weekend and isn’t very long, but a lot safer for walkers n bikers now.

Graveyard section of the Wall was closed last weekend.

Glyncorrwg Cafe is back though! All the Lasagne was gone by the time we finished, but the Chilli was bloody lovely!

greeble
    Free Member

you know why it was closed?

they seem to have done this! trail sanitation!!!!!

the graveyard section used to go to the right of that image through the rocks.

grrr!

rondo101
    Free Member

Did W2 last friday. The last section of Graveyard was closed (the bit after the Guesthouse) for logging, with a diversion around it. They also seem to have changed the tricky rocky section in the middle of Graveyard, putting an easy line down to the left, although the right line isn’t particularly taxing any more.

There was a small section of Energy on whites that looked like it was in the middle of being rebuilt (the steepish climb up next to the stream after the exposed rocky section that had been badly eroded). And signs were up that work was taking place on Darkside, although I didn’t see any sign of this.

And we were stopped briefly on the fireroad connecting the end of the Wall with the beginning of the climb whilst trees were being felled on the hillside, although it was all of 2 minutes.

davidjey
    Free Member

trail sanitation!!!!!

Speaking as a big mincing jey, I was quite pleased when I found they’d done that as I never clean the bloomin thing 😉 although at the time (only been through there once so not sure) I thought they’d left the original line for those who want it and basically put a (long, straight) chicken line in….?

OP: bits and bobs closed everywhere but no dramas at the mo. In 6-8 weeks time? Who knows….

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

The original graveyard line is still there isn’t it? With a new chicken line down the left, yeah? please…

greeble
    Free Member

I hope so too dirtbiker

wallop

the Chilli was bloody lovely!

It made my eyeballs sweat. I had to girl it down a bit with some salad cream.

ART

Original line is still there, albeit approach is now rootless, was all open last weekend when we rode through.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 the old grave yard is still there you just need to take the right line 😉

+1 for Glyncorrwg cafe. I was there last Sunday when a guy ordered food then realized he lost his wallet on the trail (from his back pocket of cycling top (no comment)). They gave him his food free. Nice to see genuine good service. I find the foods great and plenty of it.

Like the new bit but always go from Glyncorrwg

rkk01
    Free Member

Anyone know what state Afan is in

Wales

fathomer

I’m going Afan next Saturday for the first time and can’t wait, also doing CwmCarn on Sunday on the way home 😀

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Was also at Glyncorrwg last weekend & oddly enough in the cafe the same time as the guy who lost his wallet!

Did a full loop of Whites including a Black run followed by a climb back up to the top of Whites, another Black run then round on the fireroad to the Skyline descent.

All open & not as wet as I expected given the rain that fell in the preceeding days. Signs indicated that several sections of Skyline were shut.

Also heard that the Skyline will remain open for about a year beyond the previous closing date due to delays with the wind farm.

druidh
    Free Member

The 52nd.

Nipper99
    Free Member

All of Skyline is open, went around last sunday. The new bit on the Wall is pretty good and more in keeping with the rest of the trail, always thought the misc jumble of blocks a bit out of place there anyway.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Went over last week, lots of the bits at afan not open due to logging.

First time at the centre, did the whites level very nice singletracks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know what state Afan is in at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.