Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Anyone here of my age?
  • lazybike
    Free Member

Yep, Saracen Traverse was my 1st mtb, found an old pair of farmer johns in the loft!

Nobby

My first was an ’88 Rockhopper but it’s the Team Marin in purple and (so bright it can be seen from space) green that I kinda miss.

Always aspired to a Yo Eddy in aqua-fade & still do really, just not found one in decent nick for sensible money 🙁

40mpg

Didn’t the sun always shine, all summer, even in the Malverns?

006 – Copy by T*inbred, on Flickr

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Proper Ground Control tread on the hat. Nice.

Rickos
    Free Member

Drilling holes out of the chainset on your GT Tequesta to save weight,

Ha! I knew a bloke that actually did that. And his was a GT too. Was it you?

Used to ride BMX then got a GT Timberline in 1989 that got nicked at uni in Newcastle. Replaced with a Trek 970 and we did the NEMBA races that had a downhill then a xc race on the same day. Good times, but no different to today really, just much more capable bikes.

As for SPD shoes, I had those white with multi coloured splatters ones by Caratti. Only chucked them out a couple of years ago. They were, err, lush.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

your not alone…

2 years till the big 40, few minutes ago i was reminiscing about the ‘old days’, listening to music and found this on the web, actually work there on the main bar and had an amazing weekend…

the wife still takes the piss that 90% of my ipod music is early 90’s stuff… pearl jam, stone temple pilots….

my first proper mountain bike (well to me ) was this…

*by the way what happend to rear derailleur guards?

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I had a pace loved that thing which was sold for the proverbial beer and hookers first time at uni.

I sort of skipped 1996-2006 spending too much time climbing and or surfing.

Came back later in life… First upgrades USE seat post 🙂

CHB

Nike Poobah’s clicked in.
    Thunderbird Red in hand.

Nirvana tape playing in the A reg Austin metro….carrying bikes worth 3 times the value of the car.

Some things dont change.

kerv
    Free Member

scan0001
    Me (on the right) with my GT Zaskar ’92 Malverns. I crashed in the bombhole in 40mpg’s photo the year before on my Muddy Fox courier comp 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

Reggae in the old Coed-y-Brenin cafe…

jag61

So Back in ‘that’ day bike was a gate sized raleigh something or other used only for commute into Pond St from eccleshall road. Was into (C2) canoe slalom at the time. If I could get back to that fitness and level on bikes all would be good. So probbly no not of your age or even generation 😥

duirdh
    Free Member

SPDs? Is this an under 40s thread?

marcus7
    Free Member

A maruader! Bloody hell my mate had one of those when I was at Sheffield! It was heavy even in them days! We used to ride out to the peaks and he’d be near to tears!

flap_jack
    Free Member

23″ Raleigh Montage. Actually not too bad, wouldn’t mind something that big now – MTBs only seem to come in children’s sizes these days.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

duirdh – Member
    SPDs? Is this an under 40s thread?

I used Kona Joe’s cages until 2 years ago when I discovered Time Attacks!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I don’t know whether Im the same age as you OP, but I got into MTB’s about 1996/1997 I think.

Those Pace frames looked great, remember when Akrigg used to ride one?

footflaps

SPDs! Pah, I’d been MTBing years before they’d been invented!

Shimano XT Bear traps was where it was at…..

Think I started MTBing in 1985/6 when the Raleigh Maverick was first launched….

duirdh
    Free Member

XT? I’m off to bed, leave you youngsters to it

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Kind of scared to post this, but:

retro-awards by http://www.sussex-mtb.com, on Flickr

Yes, I am of that age!!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I still have my 1984 Wicked Fat!

And it is indeed still Wicked!

leeph
    Free Member

Raleigh Maverick bought from my mum’s gratin catalogue so I could pay her back over time. Progressed onto A Muddy Fox with biopace chain rings……the mutts nuts in the day!

giantx4
    Free Member

Ok….42….. u?…..first mtb (after bmx years) ridgback gs601 circa 1990 onja bar ends,tioga physco’s,rst mozo pro’s!
    ..couldnt afford biopace rings!… great days!

Merak

Oooh, Oakley Razor Blades. Looove them. Im also ‘of that age’ Im 36, but a pup compared to you old guys.

Lol’d at the picture of the rear mech ‘protector’ forgot all about them. 🙂

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’ve got a ‘crud comb’ in my toolbox, remember those?

Merak

A Crud Comb? Pics please.

victorspeedboat
    Free Member

Ooh, my zolatone framed Palisades…. We used to dream of suspension forks on our paper round money…

My mate had a Girvin flexstem and our CDT projects all revolved around trying to create suspension for our fully rigid bikes…

Where’s my pipe and slippers?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Hijack, being 26 and that.

Very interested in this thread, being that I’m looking forward to being 45 and saying…

“Remember all those different wheel sizes”? Or something…

And very excited looking at the technology employed by the bikes presented here, what currently exists, and what’s going to come-and pass- in the future.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I do hope that the people who are in her 20’s will laugh t people wearing American Football kit to ride trails we all used to ride in t shirts 😉

kristoff
    Free Member

I remember those days!

Own up who had a DCD??

I can remember me and some friends all having them in various colours.

Merak

Ha, bet ‘Dave’ was laughing all the way to the bank in the 90’s.

pacerc200
    Free Member

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I always wanted a Paul Components Rear mech in rasta colours…

Tioga Disc Drive. My mate got one and I got Spinergy Rev X Roks

giantx4
    Free Member

Shit!…. is 42 old?…. dave crud rules!

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Pacerc200

Those bars look like heresy but I would still quite like to do ungodly things to that bike

pacerc200
    Free Member

Easton monkey bars, still got the pace/renthal flat bars from original build somewhere attached to a control tec stem.

bearnecessities

Ah, this is lovely! I remember having a tioga disc drive and nearly being blown into the sea on TQ harbourside!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

While the old timers are here, since you’ve seen technology come & go…

With all the hubbub about modern tech, what gizmos “revolutionised” cycling but were really just cack.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

42 old! ****!

user-removed
    Free Member

Never got into buying bits for my bikes back then – didn’t have any money really, so lusting after components would have been a waste of time!

First (proper) bike was a Muddy Fox Courier – the neon yellow one. Got it at the police auctions. My mate bought some kind of Trek at the same time and had to get a blacksmith to take off the U-lock! Bought a 2nd hand Lavadome (still fully rigid) shortly afterwards and took it to The Pyrenees for a couple of months – best holiday of my life. Three of us in a two man tent, no responsibilities and a HUGE bag of good weed 🙂

Spent all of our teens flying up and down the Grampian mountains and Royal Deeside.

chiefgrooveguru

Kind of scared to post this…

Jimbo, did you pass on your sartorial expertise to Deadly? 😉 I need to find my first phase of MTBing photos, covering the vintage years of ’88-’96…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here of my age?’ is closed to new replies.