Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Anyone here of my age?
  • somafunk

In no particular order
    Muddy Fox Explorer 1986 – ?
    Crud comb – ?
    DCD – ?
    Rear Mech guard – ?
    Rear Mech tensioner thingy – ?
    140mm purple quill stem – ?
    1st gen Nike Poobahs – ?
    TI Flite saddle – ?
    Manitou 1 elastomer forks – ?
    X-Lite blue alloy capped ti canti bolts – ? (still got em)
    Purple anodised everything – ? 😉
    Axo purple Boots – ? (these were very cool)

I wish i kept all my stuff from 20+ years ago, would be quite some history by now

a1exf
    Free Member

Purchased in 1998, still in daily use. Well, until earlier this week when the seat tube came adrift from the bottom bracket 🙁

Still. Spot of welding and it should be good for another 15 years. By which time, I’ll be old beyond my worst nightmares 😉

tinybits
    Free Member

I wish I still had my bula head bands! And the oakleys I tried to shoot with shotgun to replicate the adverts.

How much did I want drop bars and a tioga disk drive? White porcupines ftw!

bearnecessities

A1Exf – if I thought there was any point I’d ask to buy that bike 🙂

I’d forgotten about white porcupines; I bought one off a mate, stuck it on the rear, and by the time I got home it was practically half worn!

bikebouy
    Free Member

” looks at self in the mirror “

Yup, that’ll be me then.

And that Klein pic on P1, I still think that is the sexiest bike, like ” Eva ”

marcus7
    Free Member

Just remembered my onza pedals with elastomer springs!

andyrm
    Free Member

Malvern Classic lake jumping and the carnage of that weekend every year 🙂

Blowing student loan on USE straight bars (560mm!) with those screw in USE bar ends, USE post, Flite saddle and custom wheels with original hope hubs – happy days!

elzorillo
    Free Member

ahaa the good old days 😥

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bloody young ‘uns!

No if you had said, (TI) Raleigh, Sturmey Archer, 3 speed transforming into 5 speeds, and silly caps with upturned visors (oh and mesh/chamois cycle gloves) we might have been in the same century!!! 😉

leffeboy

does anyone dare invoke the name of ‘repackrider’?

stoddys
    Free Member

Zoom bars and stem, dart front tyre.
    My crud claw ended up braking every other ride.

Stoddy

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Glory days!

midlifecrashes

I came late to this lark, was more into hiking and orienteering in the 80s, and missed the Muddy Fox era entirely, but had a homemade “tracker” bike in the late early 80s with longhorns and tourer derailleur. First “mountain” bike I got was Halfords Carrera Mission about 93/94. Then a Diamondback, Marin, then a Turner, and that’s it! Don’t change bikes much. Anyway, how about these beauties from my bookshelf.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Those magazines aren’t old – the price is in new money!
    Back in my day, they hadn’t invented “mountain bikes”, you just rode your Raleigh Shopper wherever you wanted, no problem!

billyboulders
    Free Member

Also had a pair of these – lower legs slimmed down to > 5mm wide with holes cast in them. Flexy doesnt even come near to describing how they rode! (Never did get the claimed 63mm travel from them either)

Irish_AL
    Free Member

I was going to keep my head down on this one, that was until the question who owned a DCD, yip I had one. But here’s a question who admits to handing over hard earned cash for AMP forks?

nickhart
    Free Member

How far we’ve come, soft ride suspension stem was the first thing I trusted the mags about, first and last. Didn’t help that 140/150mm was way too long. Giant fully rigid with a gel seat, coldrock I think was my first proper mtb. It even had a sti shifters on it.
    It was great fun but so limited. Then I bought an orange clockwork with manitou forks, a whole 25mm of travel, elastomers which went solid in the winter and a foot long Allen key to strip them with. I upgraded to a retro fit hope disc on the front, this is pre disc calliper mounts so had a special hope strap arrangement. Amazing.
    Makes me chuckle when kids want travel carbon and body armour….

garage-dweller

36 here
    Pace RC36s
    Saracen Protrax SE in purple with Ritchey bits
    Not owned but should mention pro flex, girvin flex stems and AMP forks!
    Ritchey Z max tyres in 1.7in at 40psi for racing
    22″ flat bars and ski bends
    Rock shox semi hydraulic disk brake
    Judy s were Rock Shox top fork.
    Suntour still made whole drivetrains

tinybits
    Free Member

Oh yes, I had some of those onza pedals. And dia comp ss5 brake levers.

garage-dweller

Just remembered mbuk reviewed a Greg LeMond mountain bike back in those days.

I think they said something along the lines of “a bit like making a Nigel Mansell tennis racket”.

Stuck with me ever since

tinybits
    Free Member

Suntour ‘toe in’ breaks. They just didn’t work!

kristoff
    Free Member

Running panaracer smoke/dart pretty good tyres from what I remember.

zippykona

If anyone wants a pair of folding smoke/darts just email me.

matt303uk

Got into this lark in at the start of the 90’s, now into my 40’s

Which got stolen and replaced with:

Karinofnine

Think I’m probably at least 10 years older than you.
    First bike, Saracen Conquest with biopace (5 speed cassette NO it was a freewheel, largest cog 38#T), an ex killed it by couriering on it, next was a Marin Bear Valley – lovely little bike. Then I got creative, Parkpre frame, Amp F2 forks (they were amazing, but the bearings were made of cheese), Middleburn chainset (still have it) – won lots of races on that bike. I still have and use a Karrimor jacket in purple (from 1991) a purple/yellow/red Pearl Izumi jacket, and a purple/fade Assos jacket. I use to have several Flexstems, rode one of the first Proflexes back in 91. Still use a titanium USE seatpost on my Salsa.
    I look back with affection and forward with anticipation. I love bikes – on road/off road, my funny little folder – love them all.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I still have these too!

duckman

Beat you by about 5 years. splatter job cinder cone.

bearnecessities

Nice hangers! I remember having some purple CND style ones.

totalshell

used to use Stif when they banging stuff outta a lock up garage. won an etto helmet at a nemba race. bought my first spds when on sidi and shimano made the shoes. piad 399 i think for the very first rockshocks they moved about 3/4 of an inch.. awsome.
    my clockwork was matt orange coloured witha six inch zero rise stalk and a pair of onza bar ends that weighed 5lbs!

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here of my age?’ is closed to new replies.