• This topic has 27 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by poah.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Anyone had covid bad and then had the vaccine
  • firestarter
    Free Member

I had it bad in April, 12 weeks off work still not right now fully and I have tested positive for antibodies but work have offered vaccine and im just not sure about having it
    Edit.. I’m not anti vac I’m just concerned about reports of people (some first hand) who had covid being quite ill with the vaccine

Poopscoop

The coronavirus thread has discussed this but from memory, you absolutely should have it if offered and you meet the criteria when they go through a check list with you, just before the injection.

Anecdotally, people that have had the virus then have the vaccine *might* have a little more negative reaction to the vaccine** than others,might. This too is based on what I’ve read in that thread, purely anecdotal.

Wait for some others on here to verify my memory and check with your GP if in doubt!!!

**Nothing bad mind!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not yet, but my better half is getting vaccine this coming week, after ~6+ weeks off work due to severe breathing issues from mid March and then again from mid October (told to stay off work again since delayed pulmonary clinic visit last week).

She was concerned about a potential reaction to the vaccine, but doc thinks she will be fine… We hope they are right!

blokeuptheroad

Surely having a rough reaction to the vaccine has got to be better than risking a second bout of Covid? You had it some time ago, your natural immunity is probably waning and having been hit hard by it once you could get it bad again? I’d be getting the jab.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, anecdotally from my wife’s covid testing team, folk who’ve had covid have a slight reaction to vaccine, but it’s slight, nowt bad.

Get it jagged soldier.

firestarter
    Free Member

For ref i tested positive for antibodies on new years eve so very recently cheers

Cougar

What reports?

It’s totally possible to have an allergic reaction to the vaccine. Or indeed to any other vaccine, or any medicine at all, or peanuts. Have you read the list of potential side-effects to Paracetamol?

But anyone claiming that the [insert illness here] vaccine gave them [insert illness here] needs to shut the hell up and do some reading as to how vaccines work before more people die.

franksinatra

Yes and yes. 10 days in hospital in April and Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks ago. Felt really grotty after vaccine for about 36hrs. High temp, tired and generally ill. Much worse side effects than all of my colleagues who had it at the same time but about the same as other people I know who were also ill with covid then ill with vaccine.

I’d have it another 10 times over if it stops me getting covid again.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But anyone claiming that the [insert illness here] vaccine gave them [insert illness here] needs to shut the hell up and do some reading as to how vaccines work before more people die.

Ordinarily I’d agree with you, but the likes of franks experience seems fairly common

firestarter
    Free Member

Cougar a number of the nurses on my Mrs ward that have had it had the vaccine and felt awful for a few days , if I’ve got the antibodies already im just wondering if its worth feeling like crap again , and im not sure if the vaccine got tested on past covid victims

Poopscoop

I’d have it another 10 times over if it stops me getting covid again.

End of thread.👍

Sound like you had a real crap time with covid mate. Glad you are sorted with the vaccine now.

firestarter
    Free Member

BTW cougar I know how the vaccine works im just concerned the way it appears to be reacting with people that have already had it / have antibodies, and it appears its not uncommon either

franksinatra

When I was in hospital I genuinely thought I was going to die and my kids would be without a dad

When I had the vaccine and felt rough I genuinely thought I’d have to cancel my afternoon meetings and have a nap. So I did. Then I was better.

Poopscoop

firestarter
    Free Member
    BTW cougar I know how the vaccine works im just concerned the way it appears to be reacting with people that have already had it / have antibodies, and it appears its not uncommon either

The thing is firestarter, yours is a perfectly valid and normal concern. You’ve been ill, you don’t want to be there again. Totally different to some of the stuff ive head from people I know personally that aren’t sure about the jab because of “bizarre reasons”.

That’s the crux really, to not feel that ill again the vaccine is incredibly the lesser of the two “evils” to achieve that.

I envy you mate, it’s actually a really nice dilemma to have. Many on here would envy you at the moment.😁

firestarter
    Free Member

Doesn’t feel that nice poop lol

Frank yeah its not nice is it i was having to be rolled in my sleep for a week or so to stop choking it was bloody horrible

Drac

Not me but if we’re doing anecdotal then I know people who have and had no problems, conversely I know those who haven’t had Covid had the vaccine and felt a little unwell for a day or two.

Would you want Covid again or a vaccine? I have a flu jab every year as I never want flu again.

Poopscoop

@firestarter

Doesn’t feel that nice poop lol

Yeah, I “know**” mate, hope I didn’t come across as to flippant. Sounds like you had a real rough time of it. It’s a nasty bloody virus.

** I don’t really, I doubt anyone can truly imagine how awful that was unless they’ve been through it.

firestarter
    Free Member

Drac I certainly don’t want it again I felt at time like giving in to it as I felt so bad

No poop you didn’t mate I knew what you meant 😉

Poopscoop

^^ Cool.😁

My mum felt a little “off” the day after, she’s 91 but it panned out to be a bit of anxiety in the end. First time she’d been out of the house in 18 months but I wasn’t going to wait till someone could eventually come to the house to administer the vaccine. Likely months I would think.

TiRed

Bit of science here. The mRNA vaccines deliver mRNA. That chain of peptides is itself an immune activator for toll-like receptors. That’s NOT related to anything really covid related per we, that’s your body recognising something that’s not you. This is pattern recognition of not-self. The most fundamental immunity.

Of course your muscle cells make spike protein from this mRNA code and that can be neutralised by your own antibodies. But an immediate reaction that feels a bit “fluey” is those TLRs.

Now hypersensitivity is the one that worries. That’s down to the polyethylene glycol (PEG) coating that the mRNA is packaged in. A tiny proportion of people develop allergy to this (it’s in toothpaste and other things). These people were excluded from trials – hence when rolled out to all, some cases are see.

It’s hard to see a causal relationship between past exposure and severity of vaccine reaction. It’s possible your memory immune system gets a bit excited. But an immediate response (hrs) after dosing is more likely to be that inmate reaction to naked mRNA.

firestarter
    Free Member

Happy for you got your mum sorted poop

Yeah tired I had read very similar to that but it just seemed strange that quite a few people had been suffering after vaccine that had covid previously, but as you say its probably the immune system going into panic mode after the last battering its taken

spooky_b329

The trade-off here is wouldn’t you rather risk feeling absolutely crap (not ill) for a few days, and be able to plan for it, versus catching Covid in 6 months and potentially getting seriously ill (again).

JackHammer

mRNA is a chain of nucleic acids, BTW not peptides and a peptide is a short chain of aminoacids. mRNA codes for peptides/proteins.

lunge

Mrs Lunge. She wasn’t hospitalised but was pretty beaten up back in March.
    She had the jab last week (NHS worker) and had 24 hours where she felt a bit ropey, a lack of energy, flu like symptons, and was fine after that.

glitch
    Free Member

Another personal experience.
    I had covid in March – just before the first lockdown. Not as severe as OP but felt really poorly for the week, big spike of temperature for 72 hours, and severe muscular pain for the next 72 hours, but had recovered to return to work thereafter.
    I was still feeling additional fatigue after activity for 6 months, – but I think I have recovered now.
    I had the vaccine (Oxford Astrazenica) last week (front line NHS). My experience is my colleagues who hadnt had covid got varying degrees of symptoms, nothing that required more than 1 day off to rest, many had no time off but felt fairly ropey 8 hours after the jab. 1 colleague who had antibodies – but was asymptomatic (as he didnt know he had had covid) got a little shaky the next day. I had no symptoms at all, and carried on as usual, in fact I did a HIIT workout with my son in the evening with no issue. You can explain both why people do or dont react symptomatically to the vaccine with science very nicely, but the way I see it. You may already be protected, or you get protected, with no significant risk, as you are not contracting the illness, and it cannot replicate to create a viral load that leads to severe illness. (the only caveat being allergic reaction to the transport mediums of the vaccine).
    For me its always worth the (small) risk of a small period of mild symptoms to prevent the chance of contracting something that may lead to severe symptoms.

chrispo
    Free Member

Why did they bother safety-testing them at all then?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

For me its always worth the (small) risk of a small period of mild symptoms to prevent the chance of contracting something that may lead to severe symptoms.

I think in amongst all the experiences on this thread, this is the main point that shouldn’t get lost.

poah
    Free Member

But anyone claiming that the [insert illness here] vaccine gave them [insert illness here] needs to shut the hell up and do some reading as to how vaccines work before more people die

Tell that to the people that got polio 😉

Depending on the vaccine you can experience the symptoms of the disease. This is due to the symptoms being due to the way the immune system attacks the infection. All the symptoms of a cold are down to the body’s reaction. That is why you can get flu like symptoms after getting the flu jab.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had covid bad and then had the vaccine’ is closed to new replies.