• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by jeffl.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone got or had a Ford S-Max?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Looks like a good option for family stuff, shifting bikes around and camping etc.

Looking at a 2011 titanium 2.0 diesel with full service history. Looks in great nick and fully loaded. High mileage though – is 140k a lot for a well maintained diesel?

mtbfix

We’ve had an smax for the last 5 years. Reliability has been pretty good. Servicing costs ditto. I’d buy another when this one passes beyond economic sense to repair.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The 2.0l diesel engine comes in various flavours – from 113hp up to 160 ish i think it is so watch out for that.

Non of them are especially economical though compared to other makes.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Think this is the 138bhp version. Economy looks OK, and a lot better than my old 2.0 volvo.

Anyone have any reassurance on the mileage?

theotherjonv

i’ve just got rid of a 2010 /10 plate 2.0 TDi with 101K, that struggled to get through the last MOT based on emissions and was starting to show signs of clutch wear.

I suppose it was a good car, great space / carrying capacity, drove OK, but I never really liked it personally.

franksinatra

I’ve owned two.  Excellent cars, drive well for a big lump, huge amount of space inside, good gadgets.  Very highly recommended.

I took my second croon 10k to 80k miles with no servicing costs other than standard fluids, pads etc

Harry_the_Spider

1.8 TDi. Had it for 5 years without issue. 94K on the clock. Tyres, battery and exhaust. Occasionally the trip computer locks up. Other than that it has been trouble free. Not a bad place to sit on a long journey and it doesn’t feel as big as it is.

Ecomony isn’t great. Averages out at about 38 mpg on a commute and 45 on long runs.

Would have another without hesitiation, although we’ll probably look at a Galaxy also as my son is getting a bit big for the back row of seats when we have 6 of us in it.

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t trust the published economy figure BTW. Mine can allegedly do 54 mpg. As stated earler I struggle to get 40.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My 165hp version (admittedly in a Focus) averages 47 on a decent motorway run and drops to 42 on my commute which is mostly towny stuff.  My bosses Passat (also 2.0l diesel) manages closer to 60mpg.

Kato

Have an S-Max. Has been ultra reliable apart from the third brake light is intermittent and its heavy on tyres.  I’d buy another

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Think I’ll get one but might leave the high mileage one.

jerseychaz

I’ve got one here in France – 2008 2.0 TDCi Titanium Spec Auto – 192,000kms – apart from a few minor niggles which are well documented and cheap to fix it’s great – tows our boat – 1.5 tonnes and accommodates loads of bikes, dogs & other kit. The only issue is tyres – they need to be “heavy duty” or they’ll disintegrate on the inner sidewalls and as there’s no spare this is a major PITA when two go at the same time. The previous owner had fitted some economical Kumho rubber, we’ve gone for Hankook which seems to be ok.

ads678

I’ve got a 2008 2.0 tdci 138bhp titanium on about 130k. Runs like a dream. No problems what so ever…..

I use Goodyear efficient grip tyres and they seem to last pretty well. I did put aom3 cheap ones on once as I was in a hurry and they lasted about 3 months!!

riklegge

2014 2.0l zetec here, had it from new and now at about 120k. Not had any problems (I seem to go through tyres a lot, but then I do relatively high mileage). Very occasionally the display on the radio flicks off, but it always comes back. I seem to average about 44mpg, mainly motorway miles.

Wide enough to fit 3 child / booster seats, long enough to sleep in and with the seats folded its possible to get bikes in with the wheels on. I love mine and would only swap for a galaxy or a van.

igm

2011 Titanium 163 from new here.

Hands free is temperamental. Parking sensors at the back overly sensitive when you have a tow bar (ie they’re just on when you reverse) and the alarm sensor (the internal one) needs replacing.

43 to the gallon on decent tyres – the fuel consumption pays for better quieter tyres (eg those Goodyear’s above).

Decent drive for a van, refined, quiet.

Aircon struggles a bit in the current 28+ temperatures.

Engine fine at 80k ish.

Decent choice.

StuF

09 Galaxy here, currently on 127k and nothing major gone yet.

Manages to get kids + crap to the south of france without bother.

Not exactly sporty so it needs coaxing round corners and you have to give a bit more braking distance on the motorway.

Tyres have been fine – fronts have just been changed after doing about 35k

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I had one before the T5. Pretty good but never loved it. Inside was a tad plasticky and it never felt as solid as the Focus I had before it.

Dual mass flywheel (DMF) issue cost me a grand, which was annoying. Google it. It’s a known problem with Ford diesels.

DickBarton

I really liked ours as it did everything a young family needed. Didn’t do bike carrying inside very well (needed wheels and saddles removed) but was fine on the roof.

Would have another.

midlifecrashes

Carried two three seater sofas home from the shops in ours yesterday (one on the roof). I’d have another. Our is 60 reg 2.0TDi, more basic model, lowest power one I think. Issues: DPF all needed replacing shortly after we bought it, it was 10 months old and had done 1900 miles. Tyres need watching and keeping on top of pressures and tracking. Our MOT is due in 6 weeks and it has an oil leak from main bearing area, so it’s going to be a big bill, we’ll put a new clutch in while it’s apart and look to keep it another 5 years at least. Other than that only tyres, filters, fluids and the interior that gets mucky with kids, bikes, dogs, brownies, DIY etc.

ajaj
    Free Member

Had an original one for four years. It needed something canbus in the aircon replaced by the dealer before we bought it. Since then it’s needed a new indicator stalk and a new battery. Ford stereo had broken CD changer from day 1, but easily replaced. Everyone says that they eat tyres but I’ve not really noticed. Build quality better than the mk1 Focus it replaced. Has always had an intermittent moan about the alarm on start up, which doesn’t seem to affect anything. Parking sensors have become a bit unreliable, but they may just need cleaning.

Clutch (or something power train related) feels as though it might be on the way out after 90,000 miles.

Drives much, much better than the competition. Most of the MPVs wallow in a way that doesn’t inspire confidence.

I would recommend if you​ want to lug bikes around inside the car.

keithb

Got one.  Look out for:

Timing belt 120,000 miles. £400

dual mass flywheel, 50-80,000 miles £900

The back box of my exhaust fell off on the motorway recently, that and the central section £140.

Good car overall, great for lugging kids etc around. Go for titanium spec if you can find it, I don’t have reversing sensors on mine and the visibility out the back with kids seats in is limited.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I had one for a good 6 years or so, a great family car. Drives like a car and not a van like alot of people carriers do, and the 2.2TDci engine was a peach. About mid 40’s mpg on a good run, mid 30’s for mixed driving, and I didn’t particularly drive it economically so could eek more out if you made the effort. Was heavy on front tyres. Great for lugging stuff around and can fit bikes in the rear vertically with dropper posts down and front wheel off.

lodious
    Free Member

I’ve had a 2.2 Manual and currently have a 2.0 (163) Auto. The 2.2. manual was really thirsty, It averaged 35-36, and that’s driving it pretty gently. I don’t think the extra power is worth the hit in economy in a people carrier.

The ‘Sony’ head units sound horrible, the versions with Sat Nav built in sound a lot better (think it’s made by Blaupunkt?) The Sony ones are actually made by Vistron.

I think they are a great design of car, externally they actually have a really small footprint compared to modern cars, but they have tons of usable space. Personally, I don’t like the arrangement for roof bars, but it’s not too bad when you get used to it.

Both been really cheap to run and really reliable. I’m struggling to find something as a replacement.

brassneck

Had a 1.8 TDCi Titanium

On paper and in the flesh they are ideal family vehicles, particularly with three kids (full size rear seats, plus pop up 2 more for friends). Great, practical design. However reality wasn’t so great.

Do not buy a panoramic roof. Ours cracked for no reason, Ford wouldn’t touch it as it was second owner. Didn’t leak as it was the internal part, but ugly and ruined resale / trade in value.

DMF failure. Expensive.

Turbo and vacuum servo fails. Also more than averagely expensive.

Issues with suspension.

Packed up on the peage, at the toll barriers. Had to push it to a refuge, call a garage out (via gesticulation to a gendarme) .. luckily it restarted and I nursed it back to Calais. Seemed to have overheated from 3-4 hours in 30 degrees, which

I’d only consider one new, warrantied and change it at 3 years old (PCP deal or something) now. DOn’t think second hand ones are worth risk, lots of ex minicabs treated badly .. I maintained it very carefully and it was still a bit of a money pit. Not much choise out there though for the target market, lot of thrashed ex minicabs :-/

jeffl

I had a 14 plate one for a year. Sold it as I just didn’t like it. Found it uncomfortable, I’m 6″5′, the glovebox is stupid and things fall out of it when you open it. The boot although massive was stupid as the inside is actually raised up from the opening. Meant that the weekly shop invariably fell onto the floor when I opened it. None of the reviews mentioned these really annoying everyday issues. Oh and the sunglasses holder was designed for kids sunglasses, mine didn’t fit in and they’re not big Elvis style ones either.

On the plus side was cheap to service and run plus it could swallow bikes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got or had a Ford S-Max?’ is closed to new replies.