Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Anyone else … tired?
  • Kryton57

I’ve had a tough year at work for sure, and a tough year training and racing on the bike but I don’t remember feeling quite so “tired” as I do now.   My get up and go seems to have gone and I’m counting the days to the Christmas week as a rest from it all yet am struggling daily.   Not sure if its just me or the general day to day bad news, the grind of Brexit and other politics etc, or the fact the family hols was stressful and not restful as I’d hoped…

I’d quite like to have a lie down for a couple of weeks, somewhere warm.  A very odd feeling for me, I’m just all out which is unusual.

Anyone else?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, there’s been something going round.

Just bouncing back from it myself, but was very similar to what you describe. Existential manflu.

weeksy

not really, no more than i’d usually expect

nbt

yep,. struggle to get up and out of bed every morning. At one point I’d be straight up and doing a few exercises and be out of the door by 7.15 – for the past few months I’ve been hitting snooze or even on occasion just sleeping through the alarm and not getting up till after 7

Trimix
    Free Member

You may actually be suffering from the lack of daylight. I get well fed up / pissed off this time of year, due pretty much to the sun gone from view.

I find just getting out at lunchtime in the sun helps a bit. But the best thing to do is just get out on the weekends in the countryside for a fun bike ride. Bit of daylight and a fun bike ride tends to make a massive difference.

IHN

Tired this morning due to MrsIHN not sleeping well last night therefore me not sleeping well.

Do start to take VitD sunshine pills at this time of year though to combat the winter blues.

scotroutes

Yeah, could be mild form of SAD.

TiRed

First day back after a rest week and holiday in Prague. Laid up in bed with throat infection thinking how bad it was last year when I was ill almost all winter and spring. Bah! Training was going well too. On the positive side, I have entered a 10 mile TT in two weeks time just because.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Bloody knackered ..two weeks into a 6 day working week until January ..
    I was prescribed (a few years ago ) ..a vitamin B12 injection every 6 weeks ..I cant really say that I get a boost from it when it’s due/ after having it the way some folks describe it ..but I’m sure it does something (!) ?.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s manthrax.

lunge

Yep, it’s the best part of a month to Xmas and I’m already winding down and taking foot off. I shouldn’t be as I have loads to do, but it’s still happening.

Hohum
    Free Member

Same here and I reckon it is the lack of sunshine that is doing it.

I am definitely suffering from mild SAD.

I used to suffer from it more in previous years, but a better diet, sleeping and keeping fit, has reduced the more depressive part of the illness.

Only 2 weeks on Thursday until my holiday starts and then I am off for 2 weeks, hooray!

Maybe I should dig out my SAD lamp and give myself a blast of that for half an hour or so every day.

weeksy

Not sure if its just me or the general day to day bad news, the grind of Brexit and other politics etc

Why does any of that bother you in the slightest ?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Very much feel like pressing the “F it button”….

6 wks off with Manbola!

Roll on January & the NY – I’ve had enough of December already..

perchypanther
    Free Member

t’s manthrax.

Could be the Brobonic Plague aka The Bloke Death

perchypanther
    Free Member

….or Guyphoid?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Yep. Had a rollercoaster last 12 months and the last 2 have been frustrating to say the least. Just wiped out right now.

Got a week away with the kids next week. Can not come soon enough. Hopefully refreshed a little afterwards.

reluctantjumper

Definitely, yes.

Had a really crap year and a half so I’m putting it down to being emotionally knackered, add in that I seem to have a constant cold for the last few weeks (normally get nothing all winter) and I’m taking it easy right now. I’ve got a week off right now and normally I’d be out on the bikes most days whatever the weather and visiting friends on the other days. Always up early, making the most of what available daylight there is! This week and most of the year? Nope, just got up after a 12 hour sleep. Going to just take it easy and hopefully hit January with some more energy as I need to get into the training habit again ready for a few bike-related personal challenges.

patagonian
    Free Member

+1 for Vitamin D. Cant say I notice a huge difference but the hospital advised I take them to boost the immune system.

willard

Yup. Tough year at work, a change in management and a creeping move from what I enjoy doing to more policy focussed role. Throw in darkness from 0900 to 1500 and you have the onset of det svenska vemodet.

Cycling keeps me sane, but that’s to and from work and getting colder and more dangerous as the ice builds up and more people take cars to work. The lack of daylight just saps me of the will to do anything, so I have to make a conscious effort to train.

oddnumber
    Free Member

Me too, for what it’s worth. Have been for a few months now. Oddly though, if I can battle through it and make myself get out on the bike or for a run, I’m fine.

Otherwise I’m flat out on the sofa by 9ish.

cheers_drive

And me. I’ve done the least amount of cycling for about 15 years so it’s no surprise that I have SAD for the first time ages Getting outside really helps but even though I know that I’m struggling to get out the door.
    Having pre-school kids doesn’t help either. The eldest stayed at my parents this weekend gone, first time, it was bliss.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Yep, SAD, trying to buy bikes bits on a very tight budget and doing silly things like back to back races at 1.04 and 1.02 Intensity yesterday afternoon.

DT78
    Free Member

and me too I’m now on my third cold in 7 weeks. Recent training plan thrown out the window and pretty miserable about it. Its been the same the previous 3 years now, I’ve tried ignoring colds and training through and ended up digging myself a big hole so now I just accept I have to sit back and write off winter – its about surviving it now, rather than enjoying it and using it to get myself stronger 🙁

I’ve started on a lot of vits, myprotein alpha men, iron and coldliver. No idea if it will help, but it has turned my pee and interesting colour

Yak

Not too bad, but I have been avoiding any hard rides, or anything like that as that usually does me in if I have a bit of a cold. So just riding for fun n’skills. Also taking vit D as per every winter. Normally I aim for the Brass Monkeys every winter, but racing last year with something put me off the bike for 3 months from Jan. So this year I will skip them I think and just ride fun stuff.

mrchrispy

I’ve pretty much had a cold since September, its crap, a number of doctors visits have ruled out dog aids.

I dont want to jinx it but started feeling a little better that last couple of days but that might have something to do with the flights to Mallorca I bought to cheer myself up 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Brexit has become a metaphor for my life – potential new job, kids, parents, recovering from an accident to get back to regular riding, work on the house, everything just seems to have been waiting all year for someone to finally make a decision so things can start to move and progress. The waiting and inactivity has been more crushing any changes would have been

Keva
    Free Member

as above, mixture of the lack of sunlight and the endless stream of colds going around I expect. I had one for the first time in about three/four years last month. it gave me a proper kicking and a chest infection which i can’t even remember the last time I had, so definitely some nasty stuff out there atm. Maybe you’re also feeling a bit overtrained? when you’re used to doing regular intense physical exercise and then suddenly the get up and go is gone it’s usually a sign that you’ve overcooked it and do need to rest.

Kryton57

Maybe you’re also feeling a bit overtrained?

I’m only 1 week into my 2020 season after having a month off 😀

Me personally, I did have a blood test which resulted in me taking weekly high dose of calciferol (Vit D).   Its just a general malaise I think.  I’m not ill, just tired of doing pretty much anything.

globalti
    Free Member

Brexit has become a metaphor for my life – potential new job, kids, parents, recovering from an accident to get back to regular riding, work on the house, everything just seems to have been waiting all year for someone to finally make a decision so things can start to move and progress. The waiting and inactivity has been more crushing any changes would have been

Been exactly the same here…. company has been sold but the process was agonising thanks to the incompetence of our hapless Directors. Broke my clavicle and two ribs a year ago and needed two ops. Bought a plot in Scotland a year ago and just starting building now, which has been an enjoyable but occasionally stressful process. Can’t say I feel tired though as I haven’t been doing much cycling and I think that tires you out more than most cyclists realise.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

But Kryton, your nose is growing, you’ve been doing various power interval tests in the last month. 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

Up to a few days ago yes.

I’m stressed right out, dealing with a sociopath of a landlord who thinks because it’s no longer convenient for him for us to live here, we should just leave (including our 2 kids) with 3 weeks notice, trying to buy a house and my employer going through liquidation and being tuped over to a new employer. I’ve been really depressed and snappy to live with, I got a nasty rash and just felt like shit.

I don’t want to sing from the cliche hymn sheet, but I had a great little solo ride on Saturday, just me and my headphones, followed by a nice meal and some beers at home with my wife and it’s sorted me out somewhat.

dashed
    Free Member

Yep, I’m in this boat. Been a busy year but nothing crazy. I’m fitter than I’ve ever been but a few back to back colds thanks to a toddler at nursery has left me pretty washed out. I just can’t seem to get enough sleep at the minute and wake up feeling tired even after a good night. Looking forward to a decent break at christmas.

leffeboy

yep, trying to find a way through it but without much success.  Still upright and moving though which is ok.  Need to get riding away from my usual haunts as that often does it but that requires stepping up my levels of organisation

theotherjonv

Nope, not tired.

Absolutely exhausted…….

Redundant/settlement agreement at start of Feb after a shit of a boss pulled the plug on most of my projects to cut cost (so he could subsequently sell the business) – could have been a constructive dismissal case but I just wanted the **** out of my life by then, very stressful.

4 months job searching, then into one which is working out quite well but I’m just so busy and with the commute too, and the stress of it all being new (role and industry) I just feel like I’ve been gradually watching the fuel gauge drop and now the light’s on, the signs say next fuel stop is in 21 days time, and the trip computer says I’ve got about 15 days of fuel left. I might make it, but I might need a tow……..

weeksy

JonV, come to Swinley this weekend for some gentle fun mate. I’m taking the boy over on Sat 🙂

It may not be much of a tow, but a pootle round in the sun and some cake may be a tiny drag up the next climb.

Kryton57

@weeksy – are you going on Sunday by any chance?   I may have an option to join for a pootle if thats OK with you?  A bit 50/50 but I’ll know Friday afternoon.

weeksy

Sorry squire, Sat due to timescales and weather… looking dry on Sat… 9:30am @ car park.

jonnyrobertson

Yep, knackered. I’m a freight train driver so do odd shifts on a 24/7 rota and have been doing a lot of five day weeks adding up to around 50 hours a week since the start of October.

Home wise we have a 3 and a half year old who had regressed, sleep wise since his sister came along a year ago. He seems to have cracked it of late though. She’s a little gem, as easy as a one year old can be but obviously two young kids makes for a hectic household.

Personally, I’ve posted on here re my constant colds/allergies. The allergies seem fairly well controlled using some stronger prescription anti histamines but I still seem to catch every cold going. Spending most of my time either bunged up or streaming can’t be aiding a good night’s sleep. Shifts don’t help, the other night I went to bed at 7 for a half past midnight wake up and I woke with a start at half ten thinking I’d missed the alarm. That was it then, two hours lost trying to get some rest before the alarm finally went off. So even though I’m knackered I’m not sleeping well. And unfortunately this is contributing to me not eating well either and what with shifts, kids and whatnot exercise is sporadic at best. Last run was in early October on a break at work…

Kryton57

@weeksy – arse ok never mind, we’re off to see Father Christmas on Saturday, of which standing in a long queue for an hour won’r cheer me up in the slightest, bah humbug…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else … tired?’ is closed to new replies.