Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Anyone else taken advantage of all the ‘only ridden once’ bikes around?
  • binners

As was fairly predictable by the empty bike shops at the start of lockdown, there is now a glut of unused or hardly used bikes going dirt cheap.

A neighbour asked me to have a lookout for a bike for her son for Christmas. I went on Facebook Marketplace and it is absolutely awash with half-decent hardtails. It looks like that when lockdown started that a hardtail at the 500-700 price point was apparently the sweet spot, then upwards from there.

They’re now all on there at half that price with ‘only ridden twice’, ‘hardly been used’ and ‘never been ridden’. One advert had the relationship-stretching ‘he bought it in March and he’s never ridden it. It’s just sat here in the dining room. Must go this week!’ There was a decent Voodoo on there last week for half the list price that was still in the box and hadn’t even been built.

I’ve resisted as I can’t afford to be buying new bikes at the moment (without invoking divorce proceedings) and I haven’t got the room anyway. It’s been tough though. N + 1 and all that.

There are some absolute bargains out there at the moment.

Have a look. I dare you* 😀

Oh… a word of warning… when it comes to grammar and spelling in descriptions (if they actually bother), Facebook marketplace makes the average ebayer look like Charles Dickens

* No responsibility can be accepted for you being told off for buying more bikes 😀

kelron
    Free Member

I must be missing out by avoiding Facebook. The ones on ebay seem to be going for close to rrp.

binners

Facebook marketplace is a whole different sub-eBay world.

kayak23

Nearly got my hands on a barely used, bought in March Calibre Lost Lad today.

Just missed out to someone localerer than me 😭

simmoz
    Free Member

I’m the market for a carbon road bike/frame and the are deffo some decent savings on new- however I’m worried about the warranty side of things…I never owned a carbon bike before so I’m convinced it’s going to immediately crack and fail!

cromolyolly
    Free Member

must be missing out by avoiding Facebook. The ones on ebay seem to be going for close to rrp.

I don’t fb either. They can gtfo with their demand for my data. Like you, just about all the places I look people are still trying to profit take (p!$$ take?) With bikes at or above what they actually bought them for. Plenty of bikes were on sale, (cough, cough, on one scandal cough cough) for a lot less than they are now, so I’m pretty sure the used price of 10% off current rrp is twice what you actually paid for it.

stevextc
    Free Member

Oh… a word of warning… when it comes to grammar and spelling in descriptions (if they actually bother), Facebook marketplace makes the average ebayer look like Charles Dickens

Seen some super deals with hidrolik breaks

binners

I’ve just had a quick look and the first listing was a Voodoo 29er, used once, basically brand new, for 350 quid, with all mudguards, lights and the stuff Halfords package up thrown in.

Halfords must have made an absolute killing this year

2nd listing is a Haibike e-bike for 500 quid off the 2 grand list price, that is still boxed, never even been built

Some people really have got more money than sense

steve_b77
    Free Member

I never owned a carbon bike before so I’m convinced it’s going to immediately crack and fail!

It invariably won’t unless you crash it into something hard.

binners

I never owned a carbon bike before so I’m convinced it’s going to immediately crack and fail!

I’ve been riding my first carbon bike all year and I’m what’s diplomatically referred to as ‘a big unit’ (fat bastard)

You’ll be reet

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe I’m not using the right search terms, but near me, it’s all rusty kids bikes and Carrara

argee

Can’t beat facebook marketplace for picking stuff up, unlike ebay you get someone asking a price, you agree and pick it up, so actually getting it for a price that’s not horrific.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

I’m the market for a carbon road bike/frame and the are deffo some decent savings on new-

I bought an Orro Gold carbon road bike off a chap who bought it new as lockdown hit as the gym was shut. He didn’t like cycling (went to the gym for weights) so sold it for less than 1/2 price 4m later on FB marketplace. There are defo bargains out there 👍👍, esp for less mainstream brands. I was happy with sizing and build quality etc as I already have one of their gravel bikes.

MoreCashThanDash

“Oil brakes” is the best I’ve seen on an ad. Took me a couple of minutes to make sure I understood.

doomanic

Just had a look on Marketplace. Near me is a 26er Trek Fuel EX 9 for £1500, a nearly new Orange Crush R 2020 for £2k and a Cannondale Moterra 3 for £4K. The rest is just BSO landfill.

sharkattack

A mate sent me a link the other day to a Yamerha Moterbike which looked like it had been painted completely white with emulsion and was standing in someone’s living room.

There’s some very posh, barely ridden, carbon DH bikes for sale on marketplace. I’d love one but it would probably remain unridden sadly.

fossy

There are bargains ? Don’t do facebook, but ebay still mad.

Only bargain was a bike I picked up from a mate last year. BMC Fourstroke XT and SLX, with a new reverb. £300. All that was wrong is the brakes needed bleeding, new pads, a bloody good wash, and the reverb fitting. It was mint underneath.

Down side, it’s an XS so fits the Mrs fine, but not me, shame..

didnthurt

Bought a second hand pair of decent SPD shoes less than half price new, they look brand new. So there is other cycling related bargains out there to be had.

teamslug
    Free Member

Seen some super deals with hidrolik breaks

Lol. My wife works with a GP who doesn’t know the difference between there and their!!.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Where are they all? I’m looking for a winter road bike, finding nothing that isn’t advertised at >75% RRP even when it’s 4-5 years old.

martymac

Tinas, local to the user, so if you’re not seeing much there’s not much local to you? At least I think that’s how it works.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

when i looked at bikes on FB marketplace. my old lefty popped up i had sold to a guy 60 miles away in June for £750, it had different tyres and the dropper taken off and replaced, being sold by some unscrupulous looking seller for a £1000 6 miles from me..

no idea how it got there. i got a screenshot of the seller, but it was deleted the next time i looked

Mister-P
    Free Member

FB marketplace local to me has nothing decent unless you fancy a “mounting bike”.

hooli

Prices are still crazy high on the stuff available near me?

stumpy01

I’ve never really looked on Facebook Marketplace, but the first items at the top of the page are:

2014 Lamborghini Huaracan for £145,000
    Road Bike with Turbo Trainer for £95
    Claud Butler road bike for £80
    1943 Rolls Royce Merlin Engine for £90,000

Quite an eclectic mix!

MoreCashThanDash

Shall we all chip in for the Merlin engine?

Mister-P
    Free Member

And mount it on the Claud Butler road bike?

lucky7500

2020 Nukeproof Scout 290 listed as ‘like new, only used a handful of times’ for £1100 (50% off!)

willq

I’m not seeing any good fb deals or even half decent where I am in Scotland. Looking for a small frame emtb and new from lbs seems to be the best option.

steelbike
    Free Member

All I have seen is some very aspirational pricing ya know 5 year old road bikes , going for daft money or people trying to get their shop money back to pay off the finance ,

Some of the comments on the buying selling groups have been epic though.

lucky7500

I’m not seeing any good fb deals or even half decent where I am in Scotland. Looking for a small frame emtb and new from lbs seems to be the best option.

Where are you? There is a ‘used once’ 2020 Specialized Turbo Kinevo comp in Dundee for £4,300. Size is the only detail not mentioned. The 2021 model is listed as £5,800 online.

Edit. I think I can see S5 on the frame in the pictures which appears to be the largest size.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Just had a look – almost exclusively BSO’s. Couple of his and hers folding bikes though for cheap.

binners

Must be a north manchester thing then. There’s been stacks of decent bikes going for really reasonable prices for weeks now. I’ve been looking for my neighbour as he needs a small frame. Absolutely loads of medium, larges and extra larges. He’s ended up with a Trek Marlin.

I was properly tempted by few 29er hardtails

Right… I’ve just had another look and the first listing that’s come up is an immaculate (literally like brand new) Trek X-Caliber 7 29er – ‘used a handful of times’ – for £425, half the £800 list price. My size too. Hmmmmmm….

I
    DO
    NOT
    NEED
    ANOTHER
    BIKE…

I’ll just keep repeating that

stevextc
    Free Member

Must be a north manchester thing then. …. Absolutely loads of medium, larges and extra larges.

Nope that’s just how it is.. if you need a new 29er wheel loads of 27.5… need a L loads of XS… you need to look away and catch em unawares

binners

Very true. I’ve seen loads of really decent, cheap bikes in my size, very few in his. If it was me looking for a new bike, you can bet your house on it being the other way around

simondbarnes

Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread about Renton 🙂

trumpton
    Free Member

Nothing for me.i could have been tempted by a small 27.5 hardcire hardtail.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

No decent deals in Surrey/Hants Borders that I can see – all “aspirational” pricing and 20yr-old tat at >£100.

cheers_drive

I was expecting to see bargains by now but everything is crazy expensive. I sold a 2014 canyon nerve 29er in September, put in on half of what I’d paid (it had upgraded forks and wheels too) which I thought was overpriced but had 10 overs within half an hour. One guy even said it was underpriced and he’d pay £150 more!
    With demand still high and shortages of new bikes I think prices will stay high apart from a few bargains were sellers have no idea.

Tracey

Same this week with me on Pinkbike.
    Since the second lockdown announcement its been mad with people messaging and wanting a bike before we lockdown.
    Guy drove up this afternoon, met him in a carpark near work, no haggling and paid cash for the Enduro.
    I’m about where I want to be now with bikes, got a few parts, brakes, hubs, droppers, cranks, that I could move on when I get round to it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else taken advantage of all the ‘only ridden once’ bikes around?’ is closed to new replies.