Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Anyone else been having "fun" on the roads?
  • Smee
    Free Member

Was doing 50ishmph on the M74 tonight, car started to fishtail. Being in the position where you are doing that speed, and knowing the only way out of it is to boot it is not the most pleasant experience I've ever had. Dont think the artic behind me enjoyed it much either. We all stayed on the road. Unlike those folk that decided to close the M8 and M73 for most of the day – just how exactly does an artic lose an axle?

Anoyone else had pucker inducing experiences on the road today?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I pre-puckered before getting on the bike in anticipation of having a horrible crash, but it was a pucker in vain.

how-soon-is-now
    Free Member

and would that have been 'user error' or an unforeseeable event?

jon1973
    Free Member

3 hours to travel 10 miles from Bracknell to Farnborough.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

A9 was "interesting" yesterday. Lots of light-steering-wheel moments.

rich-6
    Free Member

Works car park was fun 8)

Other than that no, driving like miss daisy everywhere

tails
    Free Member

and would that have been 'user error' or an unforeseeable event?

Perhaps it would be a christmas troll 😀

crazy-legs

I had some interesting (but entirely self inflicted) fun in the works car park this morning – an acre of flat white expanse was too good an opportunity to pass up! 🙂
    Was getting the car squirrely on the way out of the car park this afternoon as well, don't think the guy behind apreciated it much.

I'm so childish!

Smee
    Free Member

I'd go for user error personally.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Driving home from work early on Sunday morning, car coming the other way round a (for him) left hand bend lost it and spun, with his back end swinging across the road into my path. Fortunately there was a long bus stop that I could steer left into which meant he missed me by about a foot. He got that bend wrong, but thereafter he did a good job keeping his car on the road.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Glad you're Ok. Our road from Kirkton to Dumfries has been shut by police after two crashes. I can't get my car up and out of our drive so not been driving at all!

fu_manchu
    Free Member

Three hours from client site in Newbury to Theale (my office), zero chance of getting over the nearby hill to where I live, so settling in for the night 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks Simon.

🙁 indeed fu_manchu.

Couple of folk at my work last night didn't even bother trying to get home when we finished – 10 inches on the roads higher up. I go the other direction so was ok, but it ain't fun.

lovewookie

last night's trip to Tesco was good. watching all the cars trying desperately to get up the hills, only to slow to a halt, then start travelling sideways! I flick on the 4WD and trundle past. 🙂

Smug? Moi? 😉

The looks we were getting from the neighbours who'd all come out to watch the slidey slidey on the hill as we drove past as if it were a dry road was quite something.

I like my little Tonka toy, it's only a Hyundai Tuscon, but it's better than most for getting about.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And on a forum somwhere else in the interweb there is an expert driving instructor telling everyone about the idiot in front of him not driving in a manner suitable for the conditions…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I'm a HGV driver.

Welcome to my world. 😕

Andituk
    Free Member

AWD is awesome in this weather, perfectly sensible, until you want to have fun 😀

Smee
    Free Member

M_F – I'm going for the "it was the safest option available" option on this one. To drive any slower would have brought with it other dangers. Never been caught between a rock and a hard place? Worst traffic conditions I've ever driven in, but far from the worst road conditions.

genesis
    Free Member

Last mile into work is almost entirely solid inch thick ice 😉

LMT
    Free Member

Left the car at home, had some fun a few years back in it, nearly lost the car so didn't bother this time.

Its one of those sensordrive gear boxes, i know the snow mode has been updated but don't really trust it, maybe tomorrow.

hora
    Free Member

I've completely avoided making two motorway journeys after witnessing other drivers on 30mph-limit roads yesterday morning. People doing c40mph in worsening conditions. You just know that the motorways would be littered with idiots who beleive their ACT/TCS or whatever the **** things called will save them. Or of course that they are a driving God and ice or part snow patches wont apply to them.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The conditions were so bad you had to drive faster?

hora
    Free Member

Ps. I drive an all wheel drive Subaru with four winter tyres and I drove slowly at all times. 8)

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I (perhaps unwisely) decided to take my new-found car park drifting prowess to the streets. Which was going pretty well until I kissed the apex a bit too tightly on a spicy right hander and took a nice chunk out of a verge.

Was pretty funny until we got to where we were going and discovered the impact had launched my mates bike off the rack…

hora
    Free Member

Ps. I drive an all wheel drive Subaru with four winter tyres and I drove slowly at all times

Whooa freudian slip. I meant, err this weekend. Not literally all the time. Shame 🙁

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

The A9 was indeed pretty interesting on sunday.

Smee
    Free Member

M_F – to drive at a speed that was appropriate for the conditions when everyone else was going way faster than that would have been a more dangerous option. I do not expect you to understand this though.

Surfr
    Free Member

Am I mad to think I can get from mid Wales to Essex tomorrow via the m54 m6 m1 and m25? Heading to Chelmsford way for a wedding on weds.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Did you not stop to consider what going faster would mean in terms of extra emissions and the knock-on effect for climate change, Goan?

Smee
    Free Member

No.

bananaworld
    Free Member

(Sorry, but how could I resist? It's been a long day at work etc…)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

well and truly puckered on the motorbike in Oxford yesterday, no such fun today as we were just in the landrover laughing at the little people.

WTF
    Free Member

Bought these for such situations.
    http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/weisssock_4x4.htm

Rochey
    Free Member

5hrs to do 32miles, Amersham to Milton Keynes.

I also had a crash up the "BUM" TOO.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

"well and truly puckered on the motorbike in Oxford yesterday, no such fun today as we were just in the landrover laughing at the little people. "

Motorbike and snow is not a good mix. Did it once when I was 17 as I thought it would be great. It wasn't…

Heading home from Perth was fun. The Quattro system is a truly wonderful thing.

martinxyz
    Free Member

slw,thats what i had today.some white merc van overtook on dual carriageway heading south from Inverness and passed me whilst cutting thru untouched snow on a climb.I dont mind driving in it but these days its the worry of folk sliding across the road into you that bothers me.

a few years ago in whiteout conditions an L200 hit the front of a lorry next to me as i pulled off the A9 into a slip road and the guy luckily only split his head wide open. we put a jacket of his around his head and told him it didnt look too bad.the mess of what sprayed out the back of his truck is still at the side of the road 2 years on.this all happened with each vehicle approaching each other about 45mph.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Took me an hour to travel 8 miles, stopping twice to clear the snow from under my wiper blade seating area and to clear my headlights that were practically useless. No scary moments though, know my car well and keep a LONG distance behind people when it snows.

Did enjoy the "tweak the handbrake and slide perfectly into the parking space" in an empty area of Tescos enormous car park though :).

sugdenr
    Free Member

I made it round M25 & down M3 from Harrow to Lightwater okish then it just went pear shaped. Luckily I had the bike on board, so I abandoned the car and rode home. Just rode back and picked it up without drama. The moral of the story is always carry your bike 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

for a cycling forum it's amazing how easily the urge to "have fun" driving a car in the snow is stronger than that of worrying about other road users, cyclists in particular.
    but i guess it doesn't really matter as it's just a bit of fun and nobody ever gets hurt. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

for a cycling forum it's amazing how easily the urge to "have fun" driving a car in the snow is stronger than that of worrying about other road users, cyclists in particular.

Most people aren't stupid enough to "have fun" while there's a risk of taking out other people/cars/cyclists, I'd hope. And just because you're on a cycling forum doesn't mean people are automatically "anti-car". Some are, but most cyclists are also drivers, and many cyclists are also petrolheads, just petrolheads more aware of their impact on others and more careful where they play.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else been having "fun" on the roads?’ is closed to new replies.