Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • anyone else always have a problem with presta valves?
  • racefaceec90

for what ever reason i always end up bending the valve core or having a huge struggle to fit my pump onto the valve to pump it up etc (atm i have a lezeyne wooden handle floor pump with screw on valve connector). the push and flick pump connectors are a bit easier but even then i have blown the valve out of the valve stem due to it not fitting (my mistake i know) correctly.

am not new to cycling either (having ridden on/off now for over 40+ years) and repaired my fair share of punctures etc in that time but i have always had problems with presta valves.

as i have a road bike there is no option to get any inner tubes with the car valves so have no choice but to feel like doing a krypton factor style test every time i want to pump up my tires etc.

intake of breath “is it just me?” (copyright internet phrases.com).

no doubt i am the only idiot lol

murdooverthehill

After a recent incident with bent/broken presta cores I now carry a presta/schrader adapter with me at all times. Much sturdier connection and no chance of damaged cores.

Marko

I’ve said it before, but they are a stupid idea on a mountain bike, especially as we all use wide rims. Fortunately Joe’s make a tubeless Schrader valve so easy to leave the hell hole that is Presta behind.

Plus you don’t need that stupid set of pliers in your tool kit to open the valve when its frozen with ice, and slush

Klunk
    Free Member

biggest problem i have with presta is the shiny chromed mavic tubeless valves, absolutely nothing for pump head to grip onto, 2 pumps and it blown off, that and continental road inner tubes sometimes have/dont have removable cores…. bloody useful to be able to inject an touch of sealant into a tube for fix slow leaks.

xora

Its well known that Presta translates to “Little Valves of Hate” in English!

squirrelking
    Free Member

+1 for Joe’s schraeder valves. Means you get a good flow when seating tyres and plenty of room to pour a cup of jizz in.

My biggest issue with Presta is the will it/won’t it lottery of pumping up and seeing if the pump or valve seal gives up first before any air goes in. Yes, I do exercise it first.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I assumed the problems I had with bending Presta valve cores were due to incompetence, but I also find Schrader valves easier to use with my compressor. The deciding event was a series of punctures caused by the tube slipping round the rim and tearing the tube at the base of the valve (I know, tubeless would avoid that) – we destroyed 4 Presta valved tubes in one ride, and I drilled out the holes and used Schrader after that.

finephilly
    Free Member

Lezyne pumps seem to have a habit of this.

It hasn’t happened to me for a while:

Tighten the valve core with a mini-spanner
    Dab of grease inside the pump head/chuck/adaptor
    Use the little bleed valve before you remove the pump
    Put the valve in the 1200 position when inflating so the pump head is in line (ie not hanging off to the side, bending the valve).
    I try to always use talcum powder when seating tyres and tubes aswell.

scotroutes

I assumed the problems I had with bending Presta valve cores were due to incompetence

Correct. Some of you just shouldn’t be let out alone.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Bent one once. Made a note not to do that again. Work fine for me.

funkmasterp

They are shit weak things and very easy to break or bend. Much prefer Schrader valves. Just more robust overall.

dc1988

Never had an issue, my Topeak pump works just fine and never pops off or bends the valve

thecaptain
    Free Member

I think every single one of my presta valves is bent but they still work. It’s not hard to bend them back again.

blokeuptheroad

Presta experts, share your technique.  I know I’m a cack handed gorilla, but I bend them all the time.  My bendy lever track pump seems particularly prone to bending the flimsy stem, no matter how careful I try to be. Yeah, yeah I know I’m not fit to call myself a cyclist and I am suitably ashamed.

scotroutes

Have you tried it without a blindfold and after taking off the boxing gloves?

blokeuptheroad

^^^ Ta!! I’ll try that 😂

mert
    Free Member

@scotroutes

Correct. Some of you just shouldn’t be let out alone.

Absolutely.
    Everyone I’ve watched break a presta seems to approach the bike like they’d approach a punch bag. All sweaty and/or angry, looking for a fight.

Only one of mine I can recall breaking was one on a tubeless pair of wheels that’d been left in the attic for several years and had seized. The shaft snapped when I tried to unscrew it.

And yes, I very much ride in all sorts of weather.

garage-dweller

Have you tried it without a blindfold and after taking off the boxing gloves?

Ouch! 😂

I don’t normally have any problems but they are a poor design for MTB use really. Fiddly little threaded screw that’s prone to gumming up with sealant/other grot. I can see how easy it would be in a moment of cold and slippery handed clumsiness to bend or snap one.

Mavic used to provide a Schrader end/adapter in the packet that screwed into their UST valves. Left them fitted on my valves which overcame the issue someone mentioned above with the polished and smooth valve stems.

FB-ATB

My dad used to say that Presta is for engineers and Schrader for mechanics.

scotroutes

Everyone I’ve watched break a presta seems to approach the bike like they’d approach a punch bag. All sweaty and/or angry, looking for a fight.

I was going to say “you need the hands of a lover, not a fighter”. I guess a few of you have similar problems pleasuring a woman.

My dad used to say that Presta is for engineers and Schrader for mechanics.

Presta is for bikes, Schrader is for tractors.

snotrag

Joe’s make a tubeless Schrader valve

This I did not know. Very tempted to purchase!

avdave2

I don’t really have an issue with presta but would the presta fans tell in what way it’s better than shraeder.

easily
    Free Member

There are two supposed advantages to Presta, although they might not be a advantages at all for MTBers.
    1) Easier to get your tyres up to high pressures with Presta – not so important if you run low pressure tyres
    2) They’re narrower, so need a smaller hole in the rim – not so important if you have wide rims

I like them, but I think that’s because I’ve been using them for decades

andytherocketeer

Presta experts, share your technique

Yes… simply unscrew the little nut thing, put the pump on, pump up, take the pump off, and then screw the little nut bit down again finger tight 😉

I bend them all the time.

I think I bent one once on my Raleigh Winner aged approximately 15.
    Never bent one this side of the mid 1980’s

benpinnick

Valve debates aside the problem you have is as mentioned the pump. That screw head design is a royal pain. Buy a £20 Joe blow and all will be well.

kentishman
    Free Member

The only problem I have is that the Jo blow pump blows off at about 80 psi with valves with smooth outers. A little annoying but I just hold it on for the last bit.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Easier to get your tyres up to high pressures with Presta – not so important if you run low pressure tyres

How exactly? Schrader valves are Rae rated for high pressure. Used in industry.

Presta have zero advantage for bike except those with very narrow rims. Those that have never had problems have clearly never used a
    cheap mini pump in winter with cold hands.

I stand by the presta valves are shit people. They should only be used were there is no alternative.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t know how you cack-handed idiots manage to have so much trouble with Presta but

Easier to get your tyres up to high pressures with Presta – not so important if you run low pressure tyres

Makes me wonder why I have Schrader valves on my shock, forks and dropper at pressures from 70 to 250psi?

thols2

I use Schraeder valves except a couple of bikes with tubes. Never had a problem with Presta apart from being prone to blocking with sealant when used for tubeless. I really don’t know how people bend them – obviously, if you’re using a mini-pump, you must hold the valve end of the pump to avoid pushing and pulling on the valve stem, but that should be common-sense. If you’re regularly bending the stems, you’re being cack-handed.

funkmasterp

I admit to being cackhanded. Therefore schrader valves are better for cackhanded
    people. Out and about, at night, in the cold and rain, covered in mud. I don’t want to be delicate and have to unscrew a tiny nut and hold the pump in a specific way. That’s a design flaw.

drewd

I’ve had a few Presta valves with slightly bent stems from using a mini pump without a hose. Since changing to mini pumps with hoses I’ve not damaged any valves. I’ve also never damaged a Presta valve with a track pump.

Schrader valves seem more durable/less susceptable to damage and they can take very high pressure so I’t be nice if they were more popular, but Presta are ok if you treat them with care.

kilo

. Buy a £20 Joe blow and all will be well.

Buy a Hirame pump head and all will be well.

davros

Only issue I’ve ever had is them gumming up with sealant over time and restricting airflow. Don’t think I’ve ever bent one.

timba
    Free Member

I’ve used Presta valves for 45 years with few problems </humblebrag>
    The only problem has been that some Presta pumpheads just aren’t compatible.
    If you find this out too late then try screwing the nut-thingy in a few turns
    A technique that helps is to wrap your fingers and thumb around the pumphead and the tyre to make the interface more stable and less prone to blowing-off the valve
    Finally, ignore the friendly encouragement from your freezing mates and don’t rush 🙂

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I like presta simply because it has a locking to stop the valve being pushed into the wheel when I’m pushing on the pump. Not an issue with tubeless. I’m sure I’ve broken one once.
    I just wish they would choose one and stick with it……

funkmasterp

A technique that helps is to wrap your fingers and thumb around the pumphead and the tyre to make the interface more stable and less prone to blowing-off the valve

If you need to develop technique for blowing air in to a rim then that proves they’re a bit shit really.

kayla1
    Free Member

They are a shitty hangover from skinny rims and road bike shaped MTBs and should be duly cast into the sea. Go on, get in the **** sea, you stupid, fiddly little gits. If Shrader valves are good enough for shocks, forks and MX bikes then they’re good enough for modern, wider rimmed MTBs. All our wheels have the valve holes drilled out to take Shraders.

If you need to develop technique for blowing air in to a rim then that proves they’re a bit shit really.

This, times a squillion².

funkmasterp

Virtual hug for you kayla 1

sirromj

Yep I bend every single one of then sooner or later. No ideas how either. I like them though because I always lose valve caps! Also more aero 🤔

easily
    Free Member

How exactly?

Um … we’re getting well away from my areas of expertise here. It’s more “stuff I’ve read on the internet”.
    As I understand it, it’s something to do with Schraders having a mechanical valves while Prestas use pressure, which makes it easier to pump when you are getting up to high pressures … or something.

Hang on …

Right, I’ve just had a quick look. According to cycling news:

Presta valves also perform better over time compared to Schrader valves, in that they hold air more effectively and don’t degrade as quickly. They can also hold higher pressures, which makes them a must for track cycling where tyre pressures typically exceed 120psi.
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/schrader-vs-presta/

However, their conclusion to ‘which valve do I need?’ is: Check which valves you currently have on your bike, and buy the same one

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.