Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone doing the Hope Scott MTB Marathon?
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

Not done these before, but ridden Peaks many many times. Contemplating doing the 20k night ride, camp over then do the Half ride. No way I’d make it round the 66k before the sweeper. Save the full for next year. Weather will be a massive factor.
    Who’s riding?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

When is it?

dazzydw
    Free Member

31/8 & 1/9

steve_b77
    Free Member

Thinking of doing the night one as I’ve got the first CX race of the season on the Sunday.

What’s it like? Last time I’ll be honest I didn’t really notice anything too tricky on the 25k night one as I was out to set a fast time and it was a total smash’fest.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m debating the 40k night and marathon options, anyone know how foolish I’m likely to be entering both?

Kryton57

What’s it like?

I cant speak for the night one, but he daytime one was the hardest of the Marathons for me.  Got battered to death by baby head rocks on a 100mm FS, and mentally you are not helped by pretty much being in Hope again after 3hrs as the course cross figure of 8 style.

Unless your at the top end, you’ll be walking up Jacobs ladder and the next hill with a bike and spds which I found deeply unsatisfying.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m doing it. I did the event last year (67km I think?) for the first time and it’s fantastic. I’ve heard rumours of someone once cleaning Jacobs ladder from Edale but I don’t know how true that is…. The rest of it is all ridable if you’re feeling strong.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Unless your at the top end, you’ll be walking up Jacobs ladder

Unless it’s detoured off the main track I can’t imagine many riding up that, top end or no, there’s a few big step(up)s in there!

verticalclimber
    Free Member

Did it last year, my first ride up that way with 2 mates who know it well. Liked it but too many bottlenecks tbh. Better if riders were sent off in small groups.

ronburgundy

I have done the night 40k one and then the 50k on the sunday for the last 2 years. Intended to do the 65k on the sunday both years but the 50 was enough after the night one.

I really enjoyed the night ones, just enough tech to keep you on your toes and lots of tough climbing. The 2017 one finished down Cave Dale which was too hard really. It’s bad enough in the day!

The walk up Jacob’s ladder on the sunday is a chore but it’s a great but tough ride otherwise.
    Hoping to go again this year but will just rode sunday.

flumewelck
    Free Member

I’ll be doing it on my rigid the same as last year but with 3″ tyres this time. Only doing the 50k though as I’d get cut off anyway 😎
    I agree it’s the hardest one..then Minehead/Builth/Llandovery wich I thought would of been a lot harder.

markforrest

I’m signed up for the 45km half marathon on the Sunday, first time doing it.
    Is it the same route every year or does it vary? Anyone have a GPX from previous events, keen to see what I’ve let myself in for!

teamslug
    Free Member

Not going this year as I’ve got other things on but its a great ride. Big climbs and technical descents. r8jimbob88. Years ago (I think it was) MBR did an article on the Jacobs Ladder climb and the legend that is Nick Craig cleaned it on a 26″ Scott Ransom!!!.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone doing the Hope Scott MTB Marathon?’ is closed to new replies.