Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone considering making DIY studded tyres for winter?
  • fisha
    Free Member

As it says really, last couple of winters have a fair bit of ice for me and I was considering studded tyres this ti,e round

But me being me, thought it might be a laugh to make my own.

Anyone tried it ?any tips anyone want to join me in my efforts?

Taff
    Free Member

Try the search from about jab/feb time. There was a good thread on it. Got mine ready although the should’ve gone for a longer screws.

Northwind

Mine worked pretty well but the screws wore quite fast, I’m not sure they’ll make it through another winter. Just took some old Nevegals and drilled holes through some of the knobs then stuck screws through from teh inside, with a wee dab of superglue gel (might help, who knows) and then a load of duct tape on the inside to protect the tubes. Made a lovely noise on the road :mrgreen:

GW
    Free Member

What’s wrong with just enjoying sliding about?

gazc
    Free Member

What’s wrong with just enjoying sliding about?

and breaking your hip like someone i know did…

another option for snow is a snow chain – wrap some chain from wilko/b&q round your rim/tyre all the way round the wheel and then tie wrap the ends together nice and tight. sounds like a tank on tarmac but great on hardpacked snow. easy to put on/take off a wheel with disc brakes in about 5 mins. worked fine for me with a home made spike tyre on the front last winter (panaracer fire xc with about 50 1/2″ screws put through the knobs from the inside and lined with an old tube/gaffer tape)

lunge

I’ve got a Conti Vertical that I put the screws into but haven’t got round to lining or using. If anyone wants it then it is free to anyone who wants to pick it up from the Midlands or who is happy to pay postage.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I did last year:

DSC_0486 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Grippy as a grippy thing on ice, and being reasonable tyres, not bad in the snow aswell. Noisy and heavy on the road. Need to fit a proper tyre-liner this year rather than duck-tape as the screw heads poked through too much and kept puncturing the inner tube. Also could do with gridning the points down a bit more.
    But for £5, a pair of old tyres and and evening with a drill, not bad value compared to £80/pair ice tyres.

Hammer
    Free Member

Has anyone tried using that stans tubeless goo (latex) after fitting the screws….?

Should work..!

hs125
    Free Member

I made a pair last year which worked well, so I hope to make a few improvements this year.
    Ir bandito’s photo shows good positioning of the screws, if anything I found they can be spaced even further apart (around the circumference) without any loss of bite, but it needs to fit the tread pattern you start with.
    I would advise using the shortest screws possible, they only need to be just proud of the rubber. Despite a few well gritted sections on my commute where the tyres rattle along on the tarmac, the screw tips did not wear hardly with a couple of weeks use.
    Preventing punctures was the biggest problem. I used duct tape and an old inner tube split open to line the inside of the tyre, but still got punctures after 3 or 4 days use. I used countersunk screws rather than roundheads which may have been better. A half decent tyre to begin with helps, one of mine was too worn out allowing the screws to flex too much in the carcass.
    Riding is hard work, but there is a sense of achievement riding past BMWs and Mercs with ther rear ends stick in the gutter, and being one of the few people to be able to get to work on time.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m goign to try fitting Weldtite Sureride tyre liner to cover the crew heads, its a fairly hard plastic, so should do the job.

Jamie
    Free Member

Does this not work then?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

cable-ties work on snow, but not ice. And its a right royal pain if you get a puncture…

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Studded bike tyres are sold in Sweden. Can’t remember if there are mountainbike tyres but I would suspect there are.

But maybe this thread is about building your own.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

http://www.handigeherrn.biz/cykelhuset/nokia.htm links to MTB tyres with studs.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

80 quid each for the Schwalbe, omfg.

Jamie
    Free Member

And its a right royal pain if you get a puncture…

Ah! Good thinking, Batman.*

*Unless one is running tubeless?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

i got the ice spikers, there **** amazing

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

To line the tyre, you could try an old tyre with the bead stripped off perhaps?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Can’t be bothered with the faff of DIY but hope I get a chance to try these out this winter
    http://www.nextdaytyres.com/Tyres/Schwalbe/Snow-Stud.aspx?ID=303

zilog6128

i got the ice spikers, there **** amazing

tempted by these, obviously they’re gonna be good on ice/hard snow but what about soft snow or normal road conditions?

Taff
    Free Member

What were the screw specs people used? I think I used turbo-drives from B&Q at £3 for about 100 but they were slightly too short I reckon after wearing

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I made some last year, and successfully ran them tubeless on stans rims with sealant.

They were fine. The had circa 100 screws in each tyre that I then cut down to approx 2mm. Allow about 45minutes to an hour per tyre. They gripped like stink on ice and were heavy and slow and noisy on tarmac. I didn’t get much of a chance to use them off-road because the snow was just too think for most of it. For the amount of time I actually use them, I don’t think its worth paying the money for a set of legit ones.

They also wore very quickly.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone considering making DIY studded tyres for winter?’ is closed to new replies.