Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone built their own weather station?
  • eulach

Have you got any tips, instructables, website recommedations?
    From general google research it seems that a rasbery pi is overkill – arduino is more suited, but are the online resources/support/community for the Rasberry better?
    To start I only want basics such as temperature, pressure, humidity, maybe wind or rain and can be battery powered. If it works then I’ll look at upgrades.
    Thanks for your help, STW.

jam-bo

Looked at it a few times but never got around to it.

Pressure, temp, humidity is easy. Wind & rain less easy.

zilog6128

I have just got into Arduino/rPi stuff recently. Def Arduino (actually, ESP32 as it already has built in WiFi!) is the way to go, like you say a Pi would be overkill, plus you’d need an external ADC for the anemometer reading. (PiHut has a ready-to-go anemometer for £42, I did google and found someone from MIT who’d built his own from spoons but by his own admission calibrating it would be a bit tricky 😂)

Don’t see why wind/rain would be tricky? Anemometer as above for wind, you can get a water level sensor on eBay for under £2, just stick that in a pot? (You might want to have some way of automatically emptying said pot I suppose, unless you just reset it manually).

There’s loads of projects on Arduino.cc, I also like the site randomnerdtutorials as they explain things really well. Here’s a basic weather station: https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp32-web-server-with-bme280-mini-weather-station/
    The great thing about the ESP32 is that it can host it’s own web page really easily so you can use your phone to control it.

The “Arduino” FB group is really helpful too, about 130k members so someone clever normally comes along pretty quick to help you out!!

naffa
    Free Member

Simple like this
    null

StirlingCrispin

I run a Maplins USB Pro weather station on a Raspberry Pi.

Keeping this running can be challenging enough – and losing data really annoys me.

The good thing is that there is plenty of support for the software (PYWSS). If I have time tonight I am going to get it Tweeting again.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ISTIRLIN11

And the Metoffice!

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/?site_id=82b840ba-0891-e911-80e7-0003ff59883f&fbclid=IwAR0lsdBqpCgQPJH1ZUUTlvPEsn5c_lfzb0jMshzIF88fOBdhUN7_9Xa1NzI

zilog6128

Actually, googling it, there are loads of options for DIY anemometers, especially if you have (access to) a 3D printer! You could make an analog one with an old brushed DC motor or a digital one that trips a magnetic switch every revolution.

eulach

Thanks, zilog. That will get me started. Very conveniently, Amazon don’t deliver electronics to Switzerland, but I found the parts locally at double the price.

bigyan
    Free Member

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone built their own weather station?’ is closed to new replies.