Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone been to (South) Korea?
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

Because I’m off there soon for 6 weeks, any good tips / suggestions / stories?

jonba
    Free Member

I was working so didn’t see much outside of a ship yard.

Down in Geoje at DSME and Samsung. I believe it is a beautiful area if you can get out to the islands.

Food was brilliant if you like experimenting. Beer and Soju was enjoyable too.

Are you working or holiday? Our guys like a good night out so that is always fun.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Working on JeJu, from what I’ve seen looks really nice. I’m there installing an art work (yes, it’s a big art work)

Have plenty of time off, plus a car. Should get to see lots of Jeju and time to spend elsewhere.  Can’t say I’ve done much (any research) or really thought about what to expect, other than looking at the weather (working outdoors… now expecting to get wet!)

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>Don’t go to Busan, industrial port city shithole, if you do end up there Hyundai Beach is supposed to be okay. Texas street is full of middle aged Russian hookers and hostess bars that are frankly odd. They also seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Spam, I saw several variants of Spam gift hampers. Your bank cards won’t work unless anything has changed in the last 12 years, IIRC they are on the Japanese bandwidth so you will need a quad band phone which most probably are now.</p>

oldnpastit

Avoid restaurants that don’t have pictures of the food.

tails
    Free Member

I forgot to reply to this earlier, I thought Busan was okay. That’s the kind of job that I need!!

The Korean tourism website is pretty good. Beomosa temple near Busan is worth a visit, cheongju is a funny town with tellytubby mounds.

Jeju is supposed to be great I wish I’d visited plus I imagine the DMZ is cool in a disaster tourism kind of way.

The trains are impeccably timed you can get around quickly and cheaply. Seoul is Kiev many big cities with each area having a different vibe, I liked the old Hanok houses but the hip areas are worth a visit as well.

The food for me is the highlight I still eat a lot of it now. There is website called maangchi which will give you a low down on everything K food.

cbike
    Free Member

Busan is not that bad really.    There is a great children’s park which is the nearest you get to rural access.   I thought Texas street was an interesting feature!  And a park built on an old American air base.  Wee museum here and watch towers still on site.

Most will speak English or have an English menu for you.  Google translate app is handy.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Food is excellent, accomodation is also usually excellent and cheaper than you’d think.     Korean barbecue everywhere.   The smaller places are often better than the big touristy ones.    Street food is good.      Food is life for Koreans.  They also love baking and in some places there is a big french influence.  Try hite beer and milkis!      </span>.

Traffic cops on  are often not local and no use for directions.   They would be considered cadets in the uk.

Note how the underground system is designed with nuclear war/sheltering/typhoon in mind.

Bank cards worked perfectly fine most places.  Think we had one issue somewhere but just used the one along the street.    Card worked in hotels and shops too.

Lots of shrines and museums.  Some are deserted, others can be mobbed.

We stayed in a traditional bed and breakfast with heated floor and mattress in the floor.  Ok for a night or two.  Lovely host who cooked proper trad food.

If you are in Seoul and climb the hill to the north take your passport as you can’t access the top otherwise.  It’s been a fortified position for the last 500 years at least and is still doing the same job.

The jeju diver woman do a demonstration but you can see them all over the place.  The south of jeju is pretty , and more up market.

The mountain hike on jeju looks good but access is restricted. If you are not halfway before the cut off time you cannot proceed to the top.

The local population on jeju were massacred at one point by the mainland government so there is a wee bit of history there.   They are also not keen on the building of a new naval base on the island.

allyharp

Hiking in Korea is a huge pastime so going up Hallasan is a must since you’re on Jeju anyway. It’s interesting to see both how “easy” they’ve made it with perfect paths everywhere, and very strict limits on where you can walk; yet also how prepared everyone is with full mountain gear.

The ferry across to Udo Island just off the North East of Jeju is worth it. Far smaller and more quaint. We hired some electric bikes which were a fun way to get around.

stewartc
    Free Member

I did a 3 week trip many years ago, starting on Juju and then zigzagging up to Seoul.

There are some amazing country parks but be prepared to climb, they like their mountain walks. From what I remember most of the park also had traditional onsens on or nearby to chillax after a day of climbing up and down.

You will get bored of Kimchi very quickly.

Will try to dig out some details as it was over 12 years ago and the memories a but fuzzy.

big_scot_nanny

Been twice, only to Seoul, loved it both times (for work). Turns out that S Korean’s attitude towards alcohol is as bad a the Scots. Epic night out with colleagues! Started with drinking beer ‘bombs’ at the Korean BBQ, then bizarrely to a German place for Weisen Beer and chicken wings (their choice, not mine), followed by some hilariously pissed karaoke. Driving is horrific though.

In summary: Brilliant!

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Thanks All, some great tips, STW comes up trumps again!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to (South) Korea?’ is closed to new replies.