Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • anybody go out at first light
  • foxski
    Free Member

anybody go out at first light ?i love it when im out and its just gettin light,in the summer im out just after 4am there is nobody about and you feel alive has if you own the world.

akak
    Free Member

If I could ride right out of the door I would…the more time you have to spend getting ready and travelling in the dark the less attractive it seems.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Regularly; I’m a postman :mrgreen:

hilldodger
    Free Member

I can ride from my door and much prefer an early morning ride to a night ride – time it to get a nice sunrise view than stop off at caff for breakfast on the way home 😀

BoardinBob

Yes, walking the dog. I love being out at that time of the morning. Streets are spookily quiet

boxfish
    Free Member

Yeah, but only to ride to work!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I tend to do it in the summer but did some cheeky riding by work a couple of weeks ago. Only needed the lights for half an hour.

Its great riding that time of day, brilliant way to wake up.

allthepies
    Free Member

Last summer I was riding to the railway station along a canal towpath @ 6am daily (OK a long way from first light) and the mist rising from the canal was beautiful. Not many people about either 🙂

foxski
    Free Member

best time of the day 🙂

BoardinBob

Best ride I’ve ever done was climbing ben lomond at midnight, getting to the summit just in time for sunrise then descending in the most amazing morning light. Amazing time

http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=557#p18326

foxski
    Free Member

awesome photos boardinbob

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, most mornings. It is a special feeling.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

BoardinBob gets my fab link of the day award!

Superb that. I’m off to register over there! Seems like less arguing too 😉

Oh – to answer the OP – rarely – but when I do its a hard to beat feeling.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Work shifts so I’m either going to or going home from work at 6am. In summer when I’m on my bike I always go the long way home. Often see deer, foxes, rabbits and other animals you dont normally see during the day. Makes me feel so alive and it’s defiantly the best time of the day.

Klunk
    Free Member

love starting when its dark, cresting a climb with the sun rising and the unmistakeable bass line of Lou Reed “A Walk on the Wild Side” kicks in on the headphones.

jam-bo

Dartmoor always looks good at dawn. Unfortunately most of the time I’m driving to work

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Push up the Pentlands, wait for the Sunrise and pin it down.

That’s my commute on clear days.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Just rememberd traveling up to fort bill to watch the world cup several years ago and going over the southern highlands as the sun was coming up. I’ve been in the lake district under similar circumstances but it can’t hold a candle to the views I saw that morning.

spacemonkey

anybody go out at first light ?i love it when im out and its just gettin light,in the summer im out just after 4am there is nobody about and you feel alive has if you own the world.

It’s funny you say that because I used to work nights and other weird hours (as a student) in a factory. Can always remember leaving home at 4-6am and making the 15min walk to work past all those houses with only the occasional light on here and there. Every time it made me feel like I had a head start on the world and that I was getting out and getting stuff done before people had even woken up. That’s probable why I’m a ‘morning person’ – much prefer to get up and get cracking.

el_boufador

Yup – most of my bigger rides out in the summer of last year were crack’o dawn efforts. Firstly I started doing this to squeeze more riding in around family life, but there are so many other benefits as stated above – empty trails in even the busiest places on the hottest weekends being one of the main ones.

The best thing for me though is the feeling of snatching time which would so easily otherwise have passed you by in your slumber.

I love it.

I also love evening rides too. To be honest I’d rather ride at either end of the day than in the middle of it.

pinches
    Free Member

i used to regularly go riding early in the morning (GF at the time was a nurse, so was up at 5.30) i’d be out on the road for 6am and could get in up to 80k on the road bike before work.

nosedive
    Free Member

love it, great for riding the odd cheeky trail. needs a sober ish night the night before though….i.e I wont be doing that tomorrow

bullheart
    Free Member

Off in about half an hour…

surfer
    Free Member

Yep always up early. Mostly do my long runs alone as my clubmates dont meet until 9. I am usually finished then and having breakfast with the kids! 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘anybody go out at first light’ is closed to new replies.