Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Any welsh speakers in here?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I only wish they’d naff off back there because I’d prefer nicer people living next door. If they were Irish, I’d wish they’d naff off back there too.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

A list is being compiled of the riders who will miss out on the ever expanding trail network which makes Wales not only the best in UK, but in proximity terms, amongst the best in the world.

You made your choices gentlemen, rest well with them. 😉

tazzymtb

you can keep ’em, wales is always soggy, smells a bit funny and the hills are too little.

Ambrose

Carmarthenshire here- I speak a small amount of Welsh on a daily basis at work. And I forever tire of the bigoted views, subtly disguised as humour that are shown on an all too frequent basis. Such is life I suppose.

Jamaican by birth, raised in England, lives in Wales. Is it really THAT important?

tazzymtb

Is it really THAT important?

not in the slightest, we are merely apes that happen to have been born on a specific bit of landmass, separated by insignificant tribal boundaries on a small planet in an uncaring universe.

Some folks do like to be dour defeatist victims though rather than just revelling in the joy of our brief existence. 😀

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on the plight of the indigenous!!

Kevevs
    Free Member

dos I ffwcio dy fam hefo dy coc oen, cont!

that’s all I know, I heard it in a Caernarfon drinking establishment. What does it mean?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Unrepeatable here, but your mum would not approve (unless you family is highly unconventional!!)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sorry, am I too late with this?

jekkyl

Welsh = flibbidib dib dob dib.

RustySpanner

My favourite bit of Welsh is ‘Clwb Snwcer’.
    On a faded sign which we ride past a couple of times a year.

Oh, and ‘Warws/Ffactri’ on a sign letting warehouse and industrial units on the road down to Bethesda from Mynydd Llandagai. 🙂

Thousands Of Mancunain kids spent thier hols in North Wales as a kid,
    and it kind of sticks with you.

It’s my favourite bit of Britain.

konabunny
    Free Member

My favourite bit of Welsh is ‘Clwb Snwcer’.

My favourite bit of English is “Snooker Club” (a bit of Norse and a bit of Indian slang). 😉

RustySpanner

Oh come on, the translation panel passed ‘snwcer’ at five to five on a Friday afternoon.

For god’s sake, at least show a bit of effort.
    😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, Cardiff is a far bigger sh1t hole than Bristol.
    Is it hells bells. Bristol centre is a dump, and it has a far worse traffic problem.

Love the your sh1t hold is more of a sh1t hole than my sh1t hole argument 🙂

As for the OP this is not something to take to a forum if you want to avoid being laughed at in the meeting 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Oh come on, the translation panel passed ‘snwcer’ at five to five on a Friday afternoon.

Echoing this, the informatics building in Bangor used to wear the sign:

School of Mathematics, Engineering, and Computing

Ysgol Mathematig, Engineering, and [something in Welsh invented as “computig” was too obvious]

Da iawn 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like “Ambiwlans” myself. 🙂

EDIT: Although, as a (formerly) fluent Gaelic speaker, fringe languages never developed to cope with all the new words and terms that industrialisation (and subsequent periods) brought – hence some of the hilarious translations that have to be made up. There are a few in Gaelic as well. If anything, they help one work out how the different vowels in Welsh sound. It’s an intriguing language is Welsh – it’s confounded linguists for a long time.

Pigface
    Free Member

Might as well get drawn into this, go and find out the Welsh for Microwave Oven and say that with out smiling 😆 yes I know it is slang but still very funny.

Welsh its Gods language init 😉

Wenglish is used loads, splendigedig 😆

zokes
    Free Member

Tacsi for Pigface. 😀

I always wondered what happened if you needed to have a conversation about a ladder in the context of a school

molgrips
    Free Member

Most of those fringe or technical words are not English either. Computer, telephone, snooker etc etc so don’t laugh too hard; you are exactly the same!

Cougar

It’s perfectly understandable that when Welsh speakers hit a word they don’t have the language for they just say it in English, slowly and with an accent; it’s exactly what the English do when talking to foreigners.

Pigface
    Free Member

😆 Massey Ferguson, big bailer, etc etc. Welsh is a very adaptable language it is a git to learn due to the “mutations”

zokes
    Free Member

Welsh is a very adaptable language it is a git to learn due to the “mutations”

Would those be the mutating words or the residents?

Dwi’n byw ym Mangor, or:

Pigface
    Free Member

Well duh both obviously 😆

zokes
    Free Member

That said, yn ysgol yn yr ysgol isn’t much different than having a row with your wife in a rowing boat…

40mpg

Strangely, I’ve never felt entirely welcome in Wales

Allan

😉

zokes
    Free Member

😆

beefheart
    Free Member

Best welsh word ever = Popty-ping.

FACT.

Pigface
    Free Member

Your welcome 😆

zokes
    Free Member

Croeso, one might say

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Any welsh speakers in here?’ is closed to new replies.