Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Any welsh speakers in here?
  • ads678

I need to detail a road sign for some new traffic signals and have to make it by lingual, and on line translators don’t seem to be very consistent.

It needs to say ‘new traffic signals ahead’ anyone know what that would be in welsh???

crapknees
    Free Member

This is going to be interesting…

ads678

I think it’s ‘Traffig Signalau Newydd O’ch Blaen’, but some confirmation would be good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Arwyddion newydd ymlaen

Or

Arwyddion newydd i ddod

Sure someone can do a better job though as I’m very much out of practice.

Edit: doh forgot the traffic bit, just change arwyddion to arwyddion traffig

Double edit: “I ddod” sort of means up ahead or to come.

ads678

Cheers mr blobby, I had that form one of the translators but some sample signs I looked at all seemed to say o’ch blaen for ahead??

I’ll check with Wrexham Council first but wanted to get something before I went to them!!

Paulio
    Free Member

The Welsh Language Commission will usually translate up to a few sentences for free. Not sure of the specific email address to send it to but give them a call. You don’t have to speak Welsh to talk to them either.

wwaswas

I do love the idea of a couple of random bods on stw hoodwinking the OP into putting ‘your ostrich is on fire’ on a road sign 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mae eich estrys ar dan 🙂

nbt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7702913.stm

Beware doing things on the cheap

🙂

Cougar

“Please ensure your unicorn is ringfenced”

portlyone

“I am out of the office right now…” EDIT: too late!

Pretty sure when I did this I had professional linguists hired to do translations. There’s probably already a term used if you check your highway documentation.

br
    Free Member

That Swansea sign shows what a waste of time/money this double-language crap is, that no one in the ‘process’ can speak Welsh…

twoniner
    Free Member

pretty much what mrblobby has said although it’s funny to see there are plenty of signs round my way (North Wales) that have been translated wrong.

I would go with Arwyddion traffig newydd o’ch blaen.

ads678

twoniner – that’s what we’re going with.

Cheers all.

would be funny if you’d told me to write, ‘can you tell an English consultant designed this sign’ 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

That Swansea sign shows what a waste of time/money this double-language crap is, that no one in the ‘process’ can speak Welsh..

It’s not for the benefit of people ‘in the process’ is it?

sharkbait
    Free Member

“Nu Trafik Sygnals Ahed”

😉

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Sharkbait, that’s an official “Dick Tuna”ism

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s not for the benefit of people ‘in the process’ is it?

+1

Probably more relavent in North Wales where people actualy speak Welsh, rather than just being a rough subburb of Bristol with an accent.

molgrips
    Free Member

Welsh speakers all over the place, plenty in Cardiff who’ve come from other places. Welsh speaking families are a sizeable minority at my kid’s meithrin I reckon – 25-33% of parents are chatting to their kids in Welsh in the queue maybe.

Anyway – there’s far more difference between Bristol and Cardiff than you would expect from two cities 40 miles apart. I’ve found it very noticeable.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dim Saess umma – i spell badly in both languages 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

How dare you Jerry! Sailing/drifting next week?

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Sadly not.
    Half Ton Cup in Boulogne mid August, Rolex Maxi Cup in Porto Cervo early Sept, and Voile de St Tropez in October. ADW and KbW will be missed though.

br
    Free Member

Anyway – there’s far more difference between Bristol and Cardiff than you would expect from two cities 40 miles apart. I’ve found it very noticeable.

Yep, Cardiff is a far bigger sh1t hole than Bristol.

keppoch

@b r

Is that just intended to offend? Do you actually live in either?

Both cities have their faults (where doesn’t) but on balance I think they are both great places to live and work. Both, in different ways, have character; that offends some I guess.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it hells bells. Bristol centre is a dump, and it has a far worse traffic problem.

What I meant was that Bristol is very much a part of the West Country, and Cardiff part of Wales. People come from the West Country to go to Bristol, you pretty much only hear West Country accents, everything’s West of England this that and the other. And the opposite is true in Cardiff. You would not know the two were actually close geographically.

mountainman

Welsh speakers all over the place, plenty in Cardiff who’ve come from other places. Welsh speaking families are a sizeable minority at my kid’s meithrin I reckon – 25-33% of parents are chatting to their kids in Welsh in the queue maybe.

Ceredigion is a large welsh spoken area ,but majority of those that speak it can’t actually read it.And opt for forms in english as welsh translations are usually not very good.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Duw Duw, mae hi’n poeth iawn heddiw. Fy troed syn drewi fel pwrs camel.

project
    Free Member

A few years ago traffic signs about a diversion to the industrial estate at Wrecsam, where in POLISH as well.

br
    Free Member

A few years ago traffic signs about a diversion to the industrial estate at Wrecsam, where in POLISH as well.

Were…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

you pretty much only hear West Country accents

You do like to spout bollocks about Bristol mol, so we can stick that up there with all the other stuff.

twoniner
    Free Member

Duw Duw, mae hi’n poeth iawn heddiw. Fy troed syn drewi fel pwrs camel.

😆 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

You do like to spout bollocks about Bristol mol, so we can stick that up there with all the other stuff.

Walking around town I’ve never noticed a Welsh accent. I suppose if I were going to the posh parts of Clifton I might hear more posh accents 🙂

And you have to admit, the city centre’s not that nice.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dunno mol…I don’t go into the centre that much. I reckon, of all my close friends in Bristol, only one or two of them are actually from Bristol, with the accent.

My next door neighbours are Welsh. 😛

(I wish they’d naff off back there though.)

nigelb001
    Free Member

And you wonder why the Welsh detest the English. But hey, it’s all being said in jest, isn’t it?

allthepies
    Free Member

Because an Oirish bloke makes a joke about them ?

br
    Free Member

And you wonder why the Welsh detest the English.

‘cos we’re in charge?

nigelb001
    Free Member

Well look what you’ve done, its a mess!

molgrips
    Free Member

Cardiff has better riding, no question.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Y pobl yma siarad llawer o cachi… reidio yn cymru syn y gorau

tazzymtb

And you wonder why the Welsh detest the English

I don’t know really, maybe they don’t like the fact that they were rubbish in warfare and got their bums handed to them on a plate when Llywelyn Ein Llyw Olaf got stuffed in 1282..and have been sulking like petulant Emos since then

anyway I’ve smashed all the ‘Fireman Sam DVDs in our household because i think they give a sickening message to children.

I won’t have my son grow up believing that a ginger Welshman can accomplish something. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Any welsh speakers in here?’ is closed to new replies.