Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any tilers in the house?
  • djen83
    Free Member

I’ve decided to re-tile my bathroom and need a cutter. Please could you recommend me a decent manual tile cutter? I’ve around £100 to spend but happy to stretch that a little if needed?

Thanks in advance

Dave

choppersquad
    Free Member

The budget will depend on the size of tiles to be cut really.
    Any tile cutter by Sigma or Rubi would probably be your best bet and I’d rather have a second hand decent example of one of those than a not so great new one. Even if it was a bit tired looking you’d only need a new wheel to cut like new anyway.

DT78
    Free Member

screwfix big clinker.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

What type of tile, what size and what orientation of installation?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As above. a used Sigma or Rubi is a good shout and will sell for the same amount as you buy it for. You could also need a diamond blade on a grinder for certain cuts, I use ATS 115mm diamond, don’t buy eBay specials.

brickwizard
    Free Member

I use a Rubi best cutter iv ever used also have a cheap electric water cooled one for tricky bits

choppersquad
    Free Member

As above….you’ll definitely need a cheap wet cutter too from Toolstation or the likes.

djen83
    Free Member

Thanks all. Looking at 400mm ish tiles. Will go for that £95 Rubi one.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Take a look at the tilers forum. Manual cutters are only really suited to ceramic tiles. For porcelain tiles you need diamond blades. Rubi make a good one for a 4” grinder.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Not really Wharfdale. I make a lot of my living by tiling, from apprenticeship 25 years ago and I hardly ever use a wet cutter these days. I mostly use a Rubi TX90 and a grinder with diamond blade and dust extraction, also another with a polishing disc. The wet cutter only comes out for stone jobs really as it’s messy, slow and time consuming to set up.

bigfoot
    Free Member

as above a decent manual cutter is fine for porcelain, think mine is the rubi TX700 which has done me for quite a few years but now could do with a bigger one. bit out of the OP’s price range though. still use my wet saw quite a bit as i find it gives a nicer cut and is much easier to get a perfect straight cut than the grinder. will only set it up if i know its going to be used quite a few times though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any tilers in the house?’ is closed to new replies.