Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any tent deals or recommendations over an MSR Hubba NX?
  • ben
    Free Member

Sorry for yet another tent thread..

Currently favouring an MSR Hubba NX for £289 with free footprint, but wondering if anyone has spotted any bargains of late?

grim168
    Free Member

Cotswold outdoors price matched an msr elixir 2 for me.

metalheart
    Free Member

What do you want to use it for? Make a difference in what response you might get…

ben
    Free Member

Bike packing and hiking, wild camping mainly… Will be on the back of a motorbike for the odd trip. Unlikely to be used in really cold weather, so 3 season I guess.

The Force Ten Helium 2 was also a contender.

metalheart
    Free Member

I was looking at the Hubba specifically for bikepacking but reckoned it was a bit bulky and not particularly light (considering it’s size). I ended up getting a Force10 Helium 2 which isn’t light but doesn’t need the ground sheet and is a little bigger (with 2 entrances). Don’t know if I’d fancy the Hubba with all the motorcycle gear. My mate, however, manages with his Hubba Hubba…

I got the Helium off Backcounty in Aviemore at a significantly reduced price in December when I was swithering over a Nordisk LW2 (about the same weight/size if you inc the groundsheet too).

To be honest you need two tents, something small and low bulk for bike packing and a large r(heavier, like that Elixir 2) for the motorbike…. Or at least that was my conclusion…. 😆

Mine in action last month…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ShX8fq]Morning has broken[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

If you follow the link you’ll also find photos of the Hubba Hubba and a Six moon designs Luna Solo single skin tent….

ben
    Free Member

Thanks, food for thought. Maybe the Helium 2 is the better bet. The Luna Solo looks a decent size too.

metalheart
    Free Member

Helium 2 is smaller pack size and is pitched in a oner, handy if it’s raining. Although fiddling the pole through the hoop can be a pain. Maybe just need more practice though.

The Lunar Solo I fancy myself, looks like a good comprise of tarp/bivy bag v tent. Obviously lighter and smaller pack size than both. Condensation could be problematic though and at 6′ I suspect I’m at the edge of being able to lie in it without hitting the ‘walls’… Also, you need to factor in the cost of a pole!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ive used both a Hubba and a Hubba Hubba on extended bikepacking and bike touring trips. The Hubba packed up well in my Revelate Sweetroll. Spacious it is not, the footprint is about the same size as my thermarest. The Hubba Hubba is twice as large inside with two vestibules/doors. They both stand up surprisingly well in strong winds. Both are very quick to erect.

deft
    Free Member

I have the Hubba HP which has a deeper tub on the inner for more weather protection. Still packs into a 5L Alpkit dry bag though (including the footprint, but not the poles obviously). As above it’s fine to sleep in, and plenty tall enough to sit up in (I’m 6’2″), just not much room for admin.

montgomery
    Free Member

You might want to think about the Trekkertent Phreeranger Clone – short packed pole length, lots of room, various options available. I’ve been using one for over a year now and like it. It’s essentially a fly-pitch-first version of the MSR Hubba tents.

Oh yeah, and it’s made in the UK! Scotland, to be precise.

ben
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input 🙂

mugsys_m8

I recently had the chance to use a Hubba Hubba NX on my mountain leader asessment. I was looking forward to this chance as I had decided it was the tent to suit my needs and was going to buy one later on.

However.

I’ve re-considered- I’m holding off for now. It was good at what it was designed for. Maybe a little bit fiddly to put up. I was put off by the design for your average UK conditions. The inner, being mostly mesh means it is breezier/ colder. Most impotantly the flysheet doesn’t come down far enough: rain gets blown inside and the inner touches the fly easily. I certainly wouldn’t describe it as a UK 3 season tent. These issues will affect its performance even in UK campsites and not just wild camping. It’s designed in the US for their climate and terrain.

If I was after something for a hot climate in the wilds then it’s great. But blustery wet Wales…errr maybe not. You could use iit for this, and many do, but it’s not ideal. As to alternatives: it seems you either have to pay more: Hilleberg Niak and/or go heavier: Terra Nova voyager etc.

mugsys_m8

@montgomery: thanks for the trekkertent link. If it’s as good as the original phreeranger then it will be great. The original was a great tent. I think they even did a single skin version back in the day.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any tent deals or recommendations over an MSR Hubba NX?’ is closed to new replies.