Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any Sonder Santiago riders in the house?
  • cromolyolly
    Free Member

Thoughts, opinions?

Does it really only fit 700×37 tyres? Seems low given that it’ll fit 650×47.

elduderino12
    Free Member

I looked at one in the Hathersage store and with the stock tyres, clearance looked really tight for anything larger.

I even thought that you’d have to drop tyre size to fit full length guards.

Shame as it looked lovely. Happy to be corrected though..

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Cheers. It struck me as odd that the Camino claimed 700x 40 or 650×47. Not a big difference but significant.

It does look lovely. With the frequent sales I wondered if it would make an inexpensive and attractive alternative to a Croix de Fer, Fearless Vulture etc. gravel/cx

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting one of these. Any opinions?

mcnultycop

I looked at one, but QR frame as opposed to bolt through and the slightly lower clearance meant I ordered a Camino, which I’m hoping will arrive in a few weeks.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I can’t be any help either I’m afraid. They bumped their prices for the frame by a third not long after I posted. For £499 it was too close to some better alternatives.

Superficial
    Free Member

It struck me as odd that the Camino claimed 700x 40 or 650×47.

The Camino will fit way more than that. I run 700×41 with acres of space front and rear. Only 700×34 now it’s been mudguarded though.

Edit: didn’t realise this post was really old. Website for the Camino says 700×50 which seems about right. Maybe they improved it on the latest model.

Sonder have to be careful with pricing though. They are great value bikes but they’re not fancy enough to command boutique prices. If the prices start to creep up I’ll lose interest fast.

justridemtb
    Free Member

I’ve had one for a couple of weeks. Not sure about it at the moment. Not sure why. Got the frame on the bike to work scheme and transferred parts from my Croix de Fer that was trashed. Prefer the ride on the Croix de Fer

ampthill

The Camino is 1x only so has more space at the back for bigger tyres

PJay
    Free Member

The Camino is 1x only so has more space at the back for bigger tyres

Sorry, I might be being dense here but what makes a frame single ring only? There’s a chainstay plate which looks like it’d give plenty of room for a double. I appreciate that there’s no cable stop for a front mech. but it’s easy to buy a band-on one. If/when I buy a gravel frame I’d want to run a double (and the Camino would be on the list).

Or is it simply that all the off the peg Caminos are single ring and therefore can run wider tyres as there’s no mech. to interfere with?

Superficial
    Free Member

The Camino is 1x only

Mine is 2×10…

Without a front mech I could definitely fit bigger tyres under the guards though, and yeah the front mech might be the limiting factor for some setups.

EDIT: Just seen @PJay ‘s reply

The Camino is made for full outer cable routing and has dedicated cable guides for a front mech (or externally-routed dropper, I suppose). I have a front mech on mine, no clearance issues. It must have a cable guide for the front mech but I can’t quite remember how I built it.

PJay
    Free Member

@Superficial – Thanks for that, it’s good to know that all the cable guides are there; I couldn’t see a mech. cable stop on the downtube but didn’t think about the guides (but then the guides are on the underside of the downtube so the cable stop wouldn’t be on the downtube anyway 🙄 ).

Good to know it’ll run a double.

shermer75
    Free Member

I can’t be any help either I’m afraid. They bumped their prices for the frame by a third not long after I posted. For £499 it was too close to some better alternatives

Good to know. What are the better alternatives?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Sonder have to be careful with pricing though.

Sadly, it seems that ship has sailed. A mate from outside the UK fancied a signal st. They are changing their online system, probably you-know-what related, to improve the experience for all their customers. Streamline process, no surprises with customs charges and taxes etc. In order to serve you better,they will be trousering the VAT instead of taking it off the price. So my mate told them where to stick their customer service.
    Sad. Emailed back and forth with a couple of people including Neil himself. Nice folks, really helpful.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Good to know. What are the better alternatives

Well, at the time, you could have had a Croix de fer cheaper from Spa cycles, Fearless Vulture, The cotic escapade wasnt far off, Masi had a bike with bigger tyre clearance and it took a dropper.
    Plus odd one off bargains like the Breezer Radar, stuff like that.

That’s all changed nowz of course, although judging by e.g. ebay stuff isn’t going for the really silly money anymore, so probably the new prices will start to become more sensible.

ampthill

@superficial is your double road chainline?

I’ve not see any frames that will take a road double and 50mm tyres. MTB doubles run a different chainline to make nore space for tyres etc.

Superficial
    Free Member

Mines Tiagra so I guess it’s road standard? I didn’t know the spacing was different road vs MTB but it works fine.

As I said, I have run 41mm Surly Knards and a 2×10 setup without a problem (I ran the same setup on my CdF* so I knew it would work) but can’t vouch for larger eg 50mm tyres with a front mech.

* But not for long, because chainstay rub.

ampthill

Cheers

PJay
    Free Member

Shimano’s GRX groupsets have a 2.5mm wider chainline than road groupsets I believe so would give a tiny bit more clearance.

geordiesherman

Late to this party… built mine up 1×10 with a Dub BB, MTB SX cranks running 46T narrow wide with a wide ratio 46-11 cassette with a carbon set of forks and alex rims/chosen hubs, it’s a flier and buttery smooth off road and on. Regularly do 50+ miles on mixed terrain and for the price I don’t think you can do better 👍

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Also, if you can ride an L or XL, last year’s colour frame scan be had for £350. Bit of a bargain, given the current situation

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any Sonder Santiago riders in the house?’ is closed to new replies.