Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any reason not to buy a Canyon road bike?
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Seriously tempted to hit the tarmac again after a break of *many* years… hoping to have up to £2k for this project and I just can’t seem to think beyond Canyon. They look nice, seem to have great spec etc.

Any reason not to go Canyoning?

Not that excited by Boardman, Ribble, Planet X in terms of options for maximising bike per buck.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

they are German ?

Ed2001
    Free Member

Check out if they still do the discount for having a full racing licence as this can be a very good deal.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

None what so ever

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Good enough for Philippe Gilbert to win all of this years Ardenne classics riding one.

Quite a few on here have Canyon bikes.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Mate who is a roadie and a bike snob got the 2k carbon road bike as there was nothing close to it for quality and spec. And their sponsored riders seem to be doing okay! I nearly got the roadlight 6 but at that 900ish pricepoint the p+p of nearly 50 quid stopped it being the best value option.

warton
    Free Member

I’ve got the Aeroad CF9 and its a brilliant bike. the way it goes downhill is incredible, I just want to go faster and faster on it, its so stable at speed.

no reason at all not to buy one. cheap, great spec, very well made, and as they have a UK office now I imagine returns and warranty issues can be sorted out much easier, although I have never had reason to test this theory out.

theor race pedigree is second to none as well. Gilbert has had a cracking season on the Aeroad, and before him evans rode a ultimate clx to his world championship

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Was/am in the same boat as you and had decided that the Ultimate with Ultegra was a definite sweetspot until I came across this…. Not so sure now.

http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/Cube-Agree-GTC-SL-Di2-64-201109070119/

Still German, still carbon but with the added geek bonus of Di2, which is either an advantage or a pain in the rear depending on your position on the Luddite scale. 😉
    Haven’t decided myself which way to go yet so I guess I’m being no help at all.. IGMC

thepublican
    Free Member

I have Canyon CF Ultimate-bought frame only. Very happy with the bike, fantastic ride, weight & looks.

Canyon’s UK customer service is very shabby though-I had a lot of problems with warranty issue recently when the front mech mount snapped off. Almost laughably bad…

iDave
    Free Member

I’d have the cube over the canyon

bonj
    Free Member

I had a canyon mtb and got rid because the swing arm bearings developed play and the bolt holding them in was proprietary and there was no way to replace them.
    Obviously you wouldn’t have this issue with a road bike but it did highlight to me that their customer service is crap, the chances of getting through to someone are minimal and then when (if) you do the chances of them speaking (good) english are fairly minimal.

mugsys_m8

Does it fit me is the question I’d be asking. Having learnt the hard way with road bikes (not Canyon’s per se)

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Bugger – seems there is no good reason not to! 😉

jamiec360
    Free Member

Depends if it fits more than anything else, lots of spacers under the stem always looks daft on a road bike IMHO. Can you find any other shop purchasable bikes with same geometry to try? Still a lot of good offers on 2011 bikes about just now, was tempted by a Synapse 105 about £1500 and a very nice EMX with veloce about the same in on your bike a couple of weeks ago but decided to update the mtb first…

samuri
    Free Member

Don’t know what the value is like now but when I bought mine a couple of years back there was nothing even close to the same spec for the same money. Had to spend over a hundred quid more to get something similar in the Uk and that took the postage into account.

I got the roadlite 6.0. I was waiting for the 7.0 but couldn’t be bothered in the end. Glad I did, it’s been absolutely faultless. really well put together, rides great. looks great. Whole hearted recommendation from me.

hopefiendboy

2K? you’ve got loads of choice for that….why limit yourself to a generic brand….

or indeed why spend so much when a Boardman would tick the boxes

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d certainly have one over a Boardman or Planet-X, only thing I’d be wary of is the fit though as others have mentioned. They’re pretty standard geometry so if you have back/flexibility issues then you could end up with a stack of spacers and a 45degree stem to compensate 9which will also affect the handling a bit).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to buy a Canyon road bike?’ is closed to new replies.