Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any ideas for outdoors stag do…
  • Joe

Group of 12 gents all interested in outdoor pursuits, but of varying age and fitness. No bikes sadly as it all gets too complicated.

We have a Friday to Sunday slot to fill.

Does anyone have any suggestions at home or abroad? I have absolutely no ideas. Originally wanted to find somewhere totally off grid to rent, with a hike in… but have been looking for options and can’t seem to find very much that is suitable.

Ideas?

the-muffin-man

Naturist camp – should help you all bond! 🙂

tomnavman
    Free Member

Have you decided where you are going?

What about canyoning or coasteering?

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

Knoydart. You can either get the ferry or hike in from the other side.

Lots of hill climbing to be done if that’s what you are into. We also had MTBs with us which we took on the ferry and stayed at the hostel.

Knoydart info

pondo

If outdoors is your thing, I might suggest this chap;

https://www.ukwildadventures.co.uk

We spent a morning wandering round Shropshire with him – even in the fairly unexciting trails around Craven Arms at an unexciting time of year, he filled a day easily just talking about the plants, what you could eat, and the myriad things you can do and make with them, I was expecting to be quite bored to be fair but he was so enthusiastic and so full of interesting info, we all had a great day. He’s Worcestershire-based* but willing to travel, so if you want to add an outdoor survival/education element to it, he’s your man. 🙂

* Handy for Hereford 🙂

martinhutch

Depends when it is, but if it’s later in the summer you might be able to rent Black Sail YHA, which is perfect for your needs.

Joe

Thanks Bruce… just emailed Knoydart about the use of the bothy. That might be a great place to do some hillwalking.

stumpy01

Not exactly an outdoorsy thing to do, but we hired a large boat on the Norfolk broads for the weekend & bimbled about doing a kind of water-based pub-crawl…..it wasn’t a typical stag do, but several of the blokes reckoned it was the best stag do they’ve been on & everyone had a great time.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fFBYCt]13-06-07 DSCN4071[/url] by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

fasthaggis

Stag do?
    Outdoors?
    Stag do

Joe

Hey Stumpy… not a bad idea at all. Do you have any details?

bertmason
    Free Member

Zip world at Bethesda then a jog up Snowdon then maybe eat some chips.

Joe

You know how to live Bert. Not sure my group will handle the excitement to be honest. I do like chips though.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

One of the Perthshire rafting companies do a rafting trip which involves waiting just downstream of a hydro dam, waiting for the gates to open and riding the surge.

Aha – it’s Nae Limits

and although that’s only one activity, Perthshire isn’t short of outdoors stuff
    EDIT ..and Nae Limits do Stag Dos

burko73

Canoe trip, river wye start at hay on wye. Paddles and pedals supply canoes. Pick up 2 days later. Plenty of pubs and campsites.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Do you want to do fit or pay someone to guide/ provide equipment?

Upper esk gorge scramble is one of the best days out I’ve ever had.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dogging.

TiRed

Hire a day boat on a canal. Will take 12. Locks are always a great team build. You could take a long one 72ft away for a weekend which would be more fun. For the day you want a picnic, as pub service can be slow. For a weekend it will be pub nights.

River Wey navigation has a few options around Guildford. As does Hertfordshire. I’ve used both areas for team building. And they have always been great days out. No experience needed.

BillMC

If on Knoydart, eat at the Old Forge. Best smoked salmon I’ve tasted, ever. The beer’s OK too and a great view out the front.

matt_outandabout
    stumpy01

Joe

Hey Stumpy… not a bad idea at all. Do you have any details?

This was the boat we hired: https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/acapulco/

It might be a bit bijou for 12, although you could look at two smaller boats.
    I think we ended up doing Fri-Monday & just bimbled about following the map & looking for the next decent pub to sit in the sun & watch the world go by.

We were lucky because on the first night we ended up in a nearby pub and got chatting to a nice group of girls who were on a hen do – and they were in the same style boat as us (there was the Acapulco I and the Acapulco II).
    We ended up bumping into them (not literally) a few times over the weekend, so it ended up being quite a laugh seeing where we were gonna turn up next.

By the time we got going on the first day, we basically took the first left turn out of the boatyard to Sutton Staithe where there’s a half decent pub with a large games room out the back (several pool tables, darts boards, quiz machines & a projector telly) and spent most of the day there.
    We also ended up in Wroxham for a curry and luckily managed to get a berth at Hotel Wroxham right on the waterfront. You can pay there for a room – something like a tenner for an hour or two and they let you go & use the shower….

It was good fun anyway, but maybe not an activity weekend…..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any ideas for outdoors stag do…’ is closed to new replies.