• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pjm84.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any health & Safety experts or fireman that can answer a question
  • carbonfiend
    Free Member

I work at a large retail outlet & our fire escape door is always locked & only the manager has the key also the access route is always blocked with broken down cardboard boxes from deliveries. Apparently the reason for locking the door is it was being accessed by people to gain entry to the store & steal goods. Is this illegal (I presume it its) but I cant seem to find an exact law stipulating the rules & before I take the issue up with my manager would like know if anybody can quote the law to me or has any experience ?

dovebiker

Fire escape legislation

Sounds like 2 violations: locking the door to prevent immediate escape and blocking it with flammable material

notmyrealname
    Free Member

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1541/article/14/made

Fairly obviously, no they can’t be locked.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above. BS9999 says something like a minimum of 2 exists and within a certain distance of any location. And you cant lock them when the building is occupied (what if someone followed the exit signs and got trapped at the door because the cardboard was on fire).

If your boss is worried, put an alarm on the door or a glass bolt so staff cant open it except in emergencies.

sadexpunk

as already stated, yes its illegal.

give your local fire station a ring and explain the situation and theyll ensure someone from their Community Fire Protection team pays the shop a visit and will enforce it.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Thanks I know its sounds a bit dumb of me to presume anything else but somehow I just couldn’t find the links you guys provided to the legislation that stated it. I will now take it up with my boss.

Rich_s

Does your company have a whistle-blower phoneline? If you are worried about repercussions then ring that.
    Deffo dodgy mcdodge.

Rich_s

Or for shits and giggles, set fire to something…

carbonfiend
    Free Member

lol one comment was we wouldn’t make it to the fire escape anyway due to all the flammable material in the shop.
    I’ll speak to my boss before fire brigade try & keep it nice as I really get on with her.

theotherjonv

we were allowed to lock a fire door for the same reason (preventing trespass to a rarely used bit of the building) but with a thumb operated deadlock. The fire officer said a push bar lock would have been even better, but a key lock was definitely out.

bruneep

I was going to ask our female enforcement officer to comment but you asked for a “fireman”

The bus back to 1970’s left along time ago.

call your local fire service for advice 1st thing monday. I’m sure someone will be out toot sweet

cvilla

Worth checking if there is a fire risk assessment for the premises, this should detail escape routes and management of storage and the like, but likely that a fire door should be easily opened from inside, door alarm might be the best bet.

Drac

It’s illegal yes and will also be covered when you do your annual fire safety training, they are doing that too right?

matt_outandabout

they are doing that too right?

Ooh, I know this answer…

lerk
    Free Member

You can’t even lock them when the building is unoccupied in case a burglar sets fire to the place and needs to escape…

wrightyson
    Free Member

So many devices that can be used and still keep the fire escape element. Absolutely no excuse and 100 percent illegal. Fire officer could have the store shut down for such breaches.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Thank you all question answered.

project
    Free Member

Many years ago in Wrexham at a supermarket a fire door was locked shut with a roller shutter on the outside down, there was a fire and a few staff where killed, always report locked fire doors to the fire service,they like to enforce the rules,that save peoples and their own lives, they may well have to enter that building, and they want to know they can also get out safely.

So many different accessible locking devices, alarms and cctv to protect stock, fire exits protect staff and customers.

Also when you ring the fire service you dont need to give a name or details that you work there, i never have.

pjm84
    Free Member

Not allowed. End of. I do recall years ago that a drop in bar was adopted for a retailer under a management plan of first person / last person out but with the 3 and 4 point high security panic locking devices things have moved on.

Best place to look is under Approved Document Part B which is available free on line.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any health & Safety experts or fireman that can answer a question’ is closed to new replies.