Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any Google Analytics officianados on here?
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Am waaaaaay out of my depth…

matt_outandabout

Amateur in charge of all our work accounts here. What’s up?

hypnonewt
    Free Member

It used to be my primary job role for a few years but since I left the position about two years ago the layout has changed a lot, if the general principal is the same I may be able to help though. Like MOAB says depends what you want to know.

footflaps

It used to be my primary job role for a few years but since I left the position about two years ago the layout has changed a lot

It can be a full time job, must be for a large consumer company?

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Oh thank the Lord. Bear with me, fellas, while I try to find out what my problem actually IS.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Stand down. All sorted.

I launched a new website yesterday and was surprised nothing was showing up on GA.

Upon (extensive) investigation it emerged I needed to manually paste-in a tracking ID onto my website. Odd, cos last time I set up and launched a website, it must have done that automatically…

Would’ve been nice to know how many million hits I had yesterday, though 🙁

matt_outandabout

World domination missed eh?

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Actually… There is something you can help with:

(And forgive me – I really am just feeling my way here. This is all new to me!).

Over the years our company has… erm… ‘down-sized’ so it’s now just me and another guy. Neither of us have ever had any interest in or knowledge of anything to do with making website works. Boring. But now one of us has to. And I drew the short straw.

Anyhoo,

Essentially, I made a new up-do-date website for our old company using one of these idiot-proof DIY website builders. So the old domain name was kept and connected to, but the old website and VPS it was sitting on was deleted. All fine and dandy. New website looks great (even if  do say so myself) and it all works.

However,

When I type the company name into Google, text from the OLD, non-existent website is still top of the list. The URL that goes with that text works fine and does link to the new website. But the new description of the new homepage is nowhere to be seen. The company address in the listing is also very old and refers to an address we used two addresses ago!

Any ideas?

stever
    Free Member

Google caches what it holds about the site, so it’s not live. Wait for the new website to be crawled again or submit the site again using Google Webmaster tools. You can help things along by having 301 redirects so any links to the old site pages are sent to a sensible equivalent.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Thanks, stever.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

It can be a full time job, must be for a large consumer company?

Yeah, it was an agency so I looked after multiple accounts for businesses who wanted to outsource the process.

leffeboy

Google webmaster tools (google search console i think it is now) and point them at your sitemap (if you have one). I went through this last week and Google were showing the new pages within a couple of days for the main pages at least.

Oh, and as stever says, 301 redirects for your main pages as well where they are bouncing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any Google Analytics officianados on here?’ is closed to new replies.