Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any Garmin Edge 810 users? – It's driving me insane
  • slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these for a year or so. My issue is the touchcreen and swiping across it to change pages. Fine most of the time, even with gloves, rain etc BUT… when I’m on the map page, swiping across with my finger more often than not just moves the map around. I want rid of that screen – I don’t want to move the map around. Is there an alternative way of doing this? I think I prefer buttons:(

robbie
    Free Member

Is that not because you are pressing the little icon on the screen to move the map around? Mine is fine no problems here

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve got an oversize index finger then? I try to swipe across the middle of the screen avoiding the hand or – and + signs but it doesn’t seem to make much difference. Is there a sensitivity setting on it? DC Rainmakers page shows the screen…

hot_fiat

There’s no adjustment on the sensitivity. You can calibrate the digitizer though which may help.

Could be worse: current farcical design feature of my tomtom rider (motorbike nav unit) is that it accepts raindrops as valid screen presses. Riding in the rain it will randomly zoom the map, set new destinations, make telephone calls, generally misbehave.

zilog6128

Could be fat fingers! On my 820 (which may be similar) if you press elsewhere on the screen then left/home/right buttons pop up at the bottom.

They also do a separate remote which I’ve got on my commuter (think it works a lot better with drop bars) with physical buttons to flick through data pages, etc

fifeandy
    Free Member

I have the same problem as OP. Even tried swiping right up at the top, but this invariably results in me bringing up the list of turns remaining.
    Still, better than an 820 which my friend has that changes screen by itself if it rains or you sweat on it.

prawny

As zilgo says single tap somewhere then use the arrow buttons, Garmins have always been crap for swiping.

nemesis
    Free Member

Not to help solve the problem but no such issue on my 810 – it only switches to the map moving mode if I select it via the hand icon. Swiping left and right does what I expect.

Has it taken a knock, damaging the touch sensor maybe?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Glad its not just me. No knocks that I’m aware of but maybe tap and arrow icon is way forward. Pain in the arse when all the other screens scroll absolutely fine. Thanks for the advice.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Mine does the same. I put it down to the silicone cover and my swipe not starting right at the edge of the screen because of the raised edge.

damascus
    Free Member

Make sure you don’t press near the picture of a hand.

If you click on the hand it means you want to view the map.

Click lower down. If the hand disappears click the return arrow that will appear on bottom left and try again.

You can go into the setting and remove pages from the set up.

You can also remove speed, heading and instructions from the map page to make the page bigger so your fingers don’t press the hand.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Andy, you could be onto something. I have the silicone cover too. Its a bit of a shit design fault though. Hey no.

andysredmini
    Free Member

It’s one of many rubbish things about my garmin. I have said on many threads about how good the unit is but how terrible the garmin software is.
    Whilst we are having a moan. Has anyone else lost the back button from the screen where you can adjust the back light and tones when you press the power button during use? Another upgrade no doubt.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any Garmin Edge 810 users? – It's driving me insane’ is closed to new replies.