Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any dry places to ride SE England
  • mjsmke

Fed up with the wet weather and mud so wondering if anyone knows of any places to ride that are currently dry in SE England?

If not, I’ll stick to the road for now till summer comes back.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It wasn’t horrendous in The Chilterns around the Watlington area at the weekend. Problem is that it’s absolutely pissed down since then so probably quite grim now.

ta11pau1

You’ll be wanting a trail centre probably, Swinley or Bedgebury both hold up well through winter so a bit of summer rain will be fine.

muggomagic

I rode a loop on the South Downs yesterday morning and it was bone dry in the open (a few small easily avoidable puddles mind). Under the trees, it was a bit slick with occasional mud patches but I still came home with a clean bike.
    I would imagine the Surrey Hills will be spot on at the minute, yes they’ll be some puddles but the dirt will be super grippy.

bigginge

If it’s not too far Thetford forest’s trails pretty much always run mud free, even when it’s wet, and drain very quickly from being so Sandy.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Chilterns way towards Wendover Risborough Whitleaf etc last week I was absolutely covered in it – so bad round here would now only go out on SS.

kimbers

Woburn will have a few puddles but drains pretty well

Kryton57

I came home a mud statue after a 5hr ride in Epping Forest on Sunday. Although there were a few dry loamy bits under the trees. Just a few though.

mjsmke

Think I’ll stuck to road for a while then. Anyone know a good road route somewhere like Surrey with Box hill? Never done it before and it looks like a nice challenge.

pictonroad

Rogate. It’s all sand.

bentudder

The Greensand hills (Leith, Holmbury, Pitch) tend to be well drained for MTB.
    Road around here involving Box? You’re spoilt for choice.
    As Picton says above, Rogate’s also good and also now open.
    Also consider gravel – I was dragged around a lovely 85km loop the other week by a friend starting from Dorking and going all the way over to St Martha’s.

mrmoofo

I will tell you after I ride around Steyning tonight!

zilog6128

Went to the velodrome in Stratford at the weekend, that was bone dry & great fun to boot 😃

mjsmke

A gravel route in Surrey would be good. My xc bike is rigid so would be perfect. Anyone have any routes? Even a screenshot as reference that I can create a route from.

RichBowman

Couple of good gravel rides from Pearson Cycles:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/529561/posts/12509481

And

https://www.strava.com/routes/2747412955660041180

I’ve done the latter (Surrey Hills V6) and it was good fun.

Rich

uniqueusername

Was at Thetford a couple of weeks back, and it was tipping it down when we arrived. Stopped about 10 mins into the ride. It may well have been mud free due to the sandiness, but it was like cycling through a stream for 50% of the route. And we half filled the washing machine with sand doing the laundry after. I’ll be leaving it for dryer days in the future.

mattvanders
    Free Member

Wasn’t too bad over Thorndon last night, might have to miss Epping this week if it’s that wet.

Other options that I’ve done a few times is canal ride from Stratford to Camden food market to Greenwich and back to Stratford. Or there is along and back the Thames itself (with a few sets of steps for good measure).

mjsmke

Thanks for these. I’ll plan a few routes using the suggestions. Really missing last years weather.

DrP

here’s one I plan on doing sometime soon(ish..)
    Surrey gravel…

DrP

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s very chalky round my way, so I’m expecting slides aplenty tonight after yesterday’s torrential rain that woke me up at 2am.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not Surrey, but my stock gravel half-day ride is Reading to Goring on the Thames Path, then Ridgeway to Ilsey, BW’s to Newbury then back on the canal to Theale, Nunhide lane to Pangbourne, then follow the BW’s north of the Thames Path back to Caversham Golf Course*.

It’s mostly immune to moisture, the sections south of Ilsey are sometimes character building.

*depends on how you like you’re climbing, might be nicer to go out that way and get the hills out of the way, then the return leg becomes mostly canal and the Thames path which is kinder on tired legs.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any dry places to ride SE England’ is closed to new replies.