Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any decent beaches near the Lakes?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Going to the Lakes in a few weeks and as my other half likes to got to the beach I was wondering if anybody knows of any good spots nearby. Sandy or rock pools are both good.

crikey
    Free Member

Roan Head near Barrow-in-Furness…

Sim

St Bees can be nice if you catch it on a good day.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

crikey – is that the stretch running south from Askam? I was passing that way t’other day and it looked like it had potential (didn’t have time to stop and look, but planning a return visit with the pooch!)

grumm
    Free Member

Morecambe! Not that near though. Arnside/Silverdale area is nice.

wors

ravenglass is a pretty little village on the coast.

djglover
    Free Member

Anywhere south of 51 Degrees

tankslapper
    Free Member

St.Bees is O.K. but stoney – Sellafield is good, you are always guaranteed a good tan

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Roanhead is alright. Its down near the golf driving range called ‘Stroke One’

Id go and chilax on the shores of one of the lakes though, much nicer

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve been with my Mum and my wife and it’s nice enough!

Sim

St.Bees is O.K. but stoney
    Depends if the tide is out or not 🙂

twunt
    Free Member

Another recommendation for St Bees. My favourite though is about 2/3 of the way along Wastwater. Fantastic on a nice day.

twohats
    Free Member

Morecambe!

Probably the most depressing seaside town I’ve ever visited!

montylikesbeer

2+ arnside

Harris
    Free Member

Allonby is probably the best in the area and it run for several miles towards Silloth. Fantastic views over the Solway Firth.

grumm
    Free Member

Probably the most depressing seaside town I’ve ever visited!

Morecambe is lovely on a nice day – the prom and views across the bay are incredible, some of the best sunsets I have ever seen. The town itself is fairly grim, though it is improving.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Allonby is probably the best in the area and it run for several miles towards Silloth. Fantastic views over the Solway Firth.

+1 We stopped in Allonby over New Year, beach in the early morn and then the lakes for the rest of the day bliss 🙂

StuF

Allonby is good, Bootle is also good (rock pools + loads of sand). depends where you are staying as it takes ages to drive anywhere up there.

Also I’d check the tide tables (bbc) – for a couple of hours either side of high tide there is no sand.

crazy-legs

Warton Sands (near Silverdale) is beautiful, there’s also a fair bit of cheeky riding available in the woods round Silverdale/Warton.

Grange over Sands and Kents Bank (round the other side of the bay near Cartmel) is stunning and much quieter than most of the Lakes. Cartmel is a lovely little village, some good pubs and cafes there.

specky4eyes
    Free Member

Silecroft has a lovely beach, and is at the foot of Black Coombe, so you could escape for a ride up the Coombe!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Cheers everybody, loads to think about now. Not sure I’ll have the bike but worth knowing about the cheeky riding.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any decent beaches near the Lakes?’ is closed to new replies.