Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any cheap half decent headcams for town/city incident evidence?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Never used one in 50 yrs of cycling but with the new 1.5m law coming and it being discussed on the radio it reminded me I perhaps ought to get one , particularly as I’m getting on these days , roads are getting more dangerous and I don’t bounce so well these days.
    I presume to be effective you need a front and rear cam ?
    Any advice and cheap recommendations if possible would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Bill

DrP

Following..

I wonder, can a driver using their phone be prosecuted based on my headcam footage?

I cycle 5km, and see AT LEAST 5 drivers on their phones..

DrP

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

@DrP – I believe so yes. That Mike van Erp dude is famous for it.

snaps
    Free Member

You like to think so but How did this not end in a guilty ?

Daffy

Ghost do some nice helmet and bar cameras in a variety of sizes.

MoreCashThanDash

but with the new 1.5m law coming

It’s going into law? Didn’t think it was specifically mentioned in the new Highway Code

escrs
    Free Member

Tried a few cheap camera’s for my daily commute and they all have their downsides

Had a Ghost XL, great battery life, good quality, could read number plates at night, various mounting options on the bike or helmet, little bit bulky but i could live with it, biggest downside was the lack of stability

Even on a road bike on super smooth roads the footage was quite jerky

Also had a Chillitech bullet cam, had various issues with it, poorer quality compared to the Ghost XL, couldnt read number plates at night, couldnt really read the number plate when the video was playing you had to pause it to read the number plate, no stabiltity built in, the helmet mounting option was great, really liked the velcro mount option

Contacted Chillitech a couple of times about various issues with the time stamp keep going 5 hours out, not being able to read number plates at night and the lens fogging up, they never got back to me so it ended up in the bin!

In the end i opted for a 2nd hand GoPro Hero 8 with 2 spare batteries and a 3 battery charger all for less than £170, great footage, stability was spot on, could read number plates at night, various bike and helmet mounting options, i could get one day’s commute (80 mins per day) out of one battery

Obviously the GoPro is no good on longer rides unless you want to carry the spare batteries and swap them over every 80 mins

In a ideal world the GoPro would be the best if it could have a battery that could last 4 hours

desperatebicycle

with the new 1.5m law coming

It’s not “law”. It’s a should:

Rule 163
    Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

─ leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists at speeds of
    up to 30mph, and give them more space when overtaking at
    higher speeds

The radio discussion was obviously like some **** thick journalist’s news article I saw, where they said you can get fined £!000 for opening the car door with the wrong hand. No you ****, you get fined if you knock someone over without looking. The dutch reach is recommended as a way of avoiding it. They make the wording on the Highway Code as easy to understand as they can and still idiots don’t get it.

jimmy

I have a Dog Cam / Bullet thingy. It looks really good until you try and pause/slow down to get a number plate or detail. And Cycling Mikey gets really close in still traffic because currently it had to be proven that they’re communicating rather than browsing. I’m paraphrasing but you might need that level of detail.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any cheap half decent headcams for town/city incident evidence?’ is closed to new replies.