Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any CCTV Installers out there who want some work?
  • baldiebenty
    Free Member

After our bikes were nicked from the garage 18 months or so ago I spent a bit of time upgrading the security. Extra bolts & locks a shed alarm etc.

Well, the scumbags have been back. This time they pulled up a section of the tiled roof in order to get in. It looks like they weren’t entirely successful as the bikes are all still there and the area below the hole looks undisturbed. One of those rare occasions on which I’m relieved my garage is a tip and there’s not many safe landing places.

So, back to the question. We’ve decided to go full big brother and put up a proper CCTV system. Is there anyone out there still working?

zippykona

I put CCTV up in my shop. I’m a  tech numpty but had  no problems.

Swann from Screwfix.

oldtennisshoes

Might be an idea to put location?

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, postcode and street number please.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Whoops! I’m in Gloucester.

Nice try Superficial 🙂

Unfortunately it’s a detached garage onto which we’d also like cameras and I just don’t have a ladder long enough for doing any installation

oikeith

wobbliscott
    Free Member

i DIY’d mine. Only difficulty is routing wires really, the rest is all plug and play. I’m setting up a combination of conventional CCTV and a couple of the internet ones as they alert you if they detect movement. That way I don’t need to pay for a subscription that keeps recording…just use the wifi cameras for the real time alerting and the conventional HDD CCTV for recording.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Yeah, the regular installation I could do if I can get hold of a ladder.

The garage is more difficult as the problem area I’d have more luck getting a neighbours WiFi signal than my own.

dmorts

What’s the end aim of installing the CCTV? To identify those responsible or as a visible deterrent?

Placing cameras to do the former can be tricky, especially installing them high enough to be out of reach but close enough to see someone’s face.

I bought a cctv camera and nvr but then realised I couldn’t place it anywhere it would be of any real use

wobbliscott
    Free Member

What’s the end aim of installing the CCTV? To identify those responsible or as a visible deterrent?

All of the above surely? Visible deterrents are very effective but for those most determined thieves you want evidence that can help to identify the perpetrators. The new wifi cameras are even more handy as they actively alert you when they detect movements so you can intervene as the crime is happening which will, hopefully, scare them off, or give you a chance to call the police and actually catch them in the act or shortly thereafter.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Deterrent and if it has a movement sensor I can get out there and kneecap the indolent ****(s) before casually calling the police and an ambulance to take them to a hopefully plague-ridden prison or hospital where they can spend the rest of their reduced time on planet earth coughing their lungs up or drowning in the fluids produced by their own immune system.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Deterrent and if it has a movement sensor I can get out there and kneecap the indolent ****(s) before casually calling the police and an ambulance to take them to a hopefully plague-ridden prison or hospital where they can spend the rest of their reduced time on planet earth coughing their lungs up or drowning in the fluids produced by their own immune system.

Stay classy mate.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’m feeling a little bitter right now….cam’t think why, a little Covid-19 isn’t the worst thing I can imagine doing to them as I try to sleep tonight in the garage because I have no way of securing it properly as my insurance company won’t answer calls (yay! Halifax)

gobuchul
    Free Member

a little Covid-19 isn’t the worst thing I can imagine doing to them

Mate. It’s a bot of damage to your property.

What about the ICU staff who are looking after the scroats who you have wished the virus on them?

If all you have to worry about is a knackered garage roof, then you should think yourself lucky.

But like I said, stay classy.

chrisyork

Can I just add in, have your looked at the Asgard sheds? They really are brilliant, make one hell of a noise if anyone tries to attack it, having that in a secured garage is a killer combo

Also get a shotgun and when caught, blow their heads off…. I hate thieves and have no sympathy at all after being stolen for before we decided to get the Asgard

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Might have to think if there’s room in the garden for an Asgard, I also use the garage as a gym (especially right now) and in order to do that a fair amount of “re-location” needs to take place.
    Putting the Asgard in the garage would make that impossible.

Noted on the shotgun, my son is trying to figure out if he can rig a nail-gun to infrared sensors with the necessary motion capability. He’s an electronic engineering student with an interest in robotics. I’ve got my fingers crossed.

donkeysled

Try Ultra Vision Fire and Security.
    They are in Gloucester.
    I did some work for them recently and seem like a decent bunch.
    I would strongly recommend a hardwired system to an NVR rather than WiFi.
    Intruder/ Fire alarms have decent wireless kit but in a professional opinion CCTV just isn’t there yet. Need to get power to the camera so may as well run it back to an NVR.
    Cut power to house, no router no CCTV.

Phil_H

You could probably rig something up using alarm mines. Less lethal than a shot gun 😀

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Cheers donkeysled good things to think about. I’ll look into them.

Phil_h i did consider alarm mines but couldnt figure where to place them, especially if they’re gonna come in through the roof! Although saying that I could link them to the bikes rather than the door.

BigJohn

I’ve recently fitted a Ring doorbell. I’m impressed by its motion sensing ability. When anybody approaches it can record the video and send you an alert to your phone. You can also check the live view at any time.
    If you have wi-fi that reaches your garage then it would work. I got a basic Mk1 version as it was cheaper.

dmorts

An Asgard shed is perhaps better outside in some ways. If thieves get into the garage then it offers a good shelter to hide them while they work on attacking the shed.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any CCTV Installers out there who want some work?’ is closed to new replies.