Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any berlingo/car experts here? have a look and advise me – any good or beware?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Worth a view.

Price seems in line with current prices although is spendy for a bingo.

Mot history doesn’t show any alarm bells.

I’d be looking for a reciept (not a stamp in a book) for a timing belt change at that age/milage or you’ll be doing it soon. – it’s every 10 years OR 150/120k normal/adverse so its due.

Standard french car caveats apply….that is press every button move everything. If it’s all still working it’ll likely do so for some time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said.

I bought a 2005 Berlingo 2.0 HDI this week for a LOT less, but it has the odd bit of “character”. Based on driving it and the file full of receipts:

Clutch – bearings break up, cables fray/snap/jam, pedal bushings wear out and springs snap. Prices for various bits seem to have varied from reasonable to “how much! For a bit of blooming plastic”. It’s still incredibly heavy and lacks any feel, I suspect it’s the bushing in the pedal that’s gone.

Door/boot locks. The central locking doesn’t work from the passenger door. One of the rear doors intermittently doesn’t lock (contacts on the B-pillar), one of the rear doors didn’t open at all (loose connecting rod in the lock). Boot key is jammed (central locking and handle work fine).

The Interior is cheap and nasty. It’s done slightly less miles (130k vs 140k) than my outgoing focus, but the interior looks twice as old with paint flaking off the plastic, worn buttons, loose speakers etc. And this is comparing to a Ford, not a premium brand!

Handling – it doesn’t. Newer ones might be better but it’s more like driving an old VW T2 than a modern van! Even a series Land-Rover feels like it’s on rails by comparison. The full-size transit at work feels like a sports car. You turn the wheel, it goes around a corner, there’s only a vague feeling that the two things were connected though. It’s not a fault, but do test drive it and make sure you can live with it, doing B roads every day would be purgatory.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Handling – it doesn’t. Newer ones might be better but it’s more like driving an old VW T2 than a modern van! Even a series Land-Rover feels like it’s on rails by comparison.

Suggests yours is broke.

It’s not amazing handling but either yours is broke or you have not driven either of your comparitors. It sounds like your steering pumps dying – lack of connected feeling is the primary indicator. ….common fault on the old style yours is an m59 is it not. This is a b9 which is an entirely different platform. Imo the m59 handled better

Also B9 clutch is hydraulic

bikerevivesheffield

I’ve had several before so know about the issues and handling, also isn’t the 2005 the old shape?
    It’s more what to look out for on this one at this mileage

stevextc
    Free Member

Handling – it doesn’t. Newer ones might be better but it’s more like driving an old VW T2 than a modern van! Even a series Land-Rover feels like it’s on rails by comparison. The full-size transit at work feels like a sports car. You turn the wheel, it goes around a corner, there’s only a vague feeling that the two things were connected though. It’s not a fault, but do test drive it and make sure you can live with it, doing B roads every day would be purgatory.

Gotta agree with TiReD … OH has a newish CRV that feels like crap compared to my BMW but the Berlingo didn’t feel all that much worse driving round Mallorca and OH was driving it as well. Plenty of very twisty roads through the mountains.

Not that different just bigger than my mum’s Jazz which feels crap comparted to her old 106 but about the same as her Fiat 500. And based on various hire vans really not unpleasant. Certainly not sports car/hot hatch type handling but really not at all bad.

All of these feel like they lack brake modulation but more in a Shimano vs SRAM way… the Berlingo ones did stop it… just needed a lot of pressing compared to the acceleration sensitive ones then came on all at once.

trail_rat
    Free Member

All of these feel like they lack brake modulation but more in a Shimano vs SRAM way… the Berlingo ones did stop it… just needed a lot of pressing compared to the acceleration sensitive ones then came on all at once.

agree if your on about m49/59 brakes – they were woefully undersized for the vehicle Really had to stamp on them

used to burn through front pads in 10k (we dont do motorway up here) and it needed as set of disks with every set of pads – Thankfully because they were like castors – it was about 25 quid and 20 minutes a side.

Was the same situation on both our 04 and 06 ones.

the B9 is on 38k and the pads looked half worn last week when i replaced the original tires.They also stop really well.

B9 still has the fragile(ish) interior issue though.thats not to say it is fragile – none of ours has broken but it just doesnt feel solid – doesnt though which is good enough for me.

stevextc
    Free Member

agree if your on about m49/59 brakes – they were woefully undersized for the vehicle Really had to stamp on them

Sorry… I was agreeing with you somehow swapped people round.
    Don’t know which ones as it was a hire but felt like 2 pots on 160mm a DH bike…. they would work if you really stomped on them…. but all at once!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea, mines the older m59 weirdly the brakes seem fine, actually nice and sharp.

The steering pump could well be partially to blame, you can feel the steering not quite modulating consistently. Been suggested everything from the pump, the steering UJ, and the strut bearings.

But I drove a few and they all feel like driving a jelly down some rapids (and some definitely had knackered pumps so I know what that feels like!).

Part of the problem is probably coming straight out of the midget any servo-brakes will feel sharp and any steering will feel crap 😂

dufresneorama
    Free Member

How much am I looking at for timing belt replacement on my b9?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dufresneorama
    Free Member

How much am I looking at for timing belt replacement on my b9?

Have a look on http://www.mycarneedsa.com , you’ll end up with a range between the main dealers and mobile mechanics but at least gives you an idea about how fair your local garage’s prices are. Just be explicit that you want the cambelt and anything replaced (tensioner, water pump, aux belt etc) so you’re getting meaningful quotes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any berlingo/car experts here? have a look and advise me – any good or beware?’ is closed to new replies.