Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any bargain hardtail frames around?
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Year ago it was new bike time for our lad so I bought a used Boardman hardtail and swapped all the parts onto a shiny new Radon frame from Bike Discount DE.
    Hes shot up over the past 12 months and thee 16″ frame is now way too small. Simple I thought id buy a larger Radon frame but they are all sold out.
    Id really like to just swap parts over as everything is in good order but all a bit old school now
    looking for a frame 18-19″ 29″ wheel size that has 135 open rear drop outs / disc brake tabs / tapered head tube and designed around 100mm fork. Not really fussed on material, but hes not a very regular rider so something under £150 is the budget.
    Anyone seen anything that fits the bill?

trumpton
    Free Member

Brand x at chain reaction maybe

sirromj

Thought to recommend that Brand-X HT-01 also, but it’s 27.5″ not 29″.

superstu
    Free Member

There are a few On one scandal frames for £80 (plus £15 postage but still a bargain). Sorely tempted if I hadn’t bought a second hand scout frame two weeks before!

cyclistm
    Free Member

What size was the boardman frame you took the parts off? The older frames were pretty good so you could just build that up again.

beamishblue

Where are the £80 Scandal frames? Can’t see them on the website.

cp

Where are the £80 Scandal frames? Can’t see them on the website.

They were only in XL and only 3 left. Sold out now by the look of it and I think deal ended last night anyway (at least according to the email they sent out yesterday).

joebristol

Trying to get the combination of things you’re after looks quite difficult from a short google. There’s an Octane frame on CRC for £199 but it’s 142 rather than we and needs a 120mm fork.

What fork is in the current bike – could it be extended to 120mm travel with a new airshaft?

Wheels might be more tricky as most of the mid range boardman’s don’t run big name wheels that you can easily change the axles on.

The Onza payoff frame looks like it’s available for £199 too – but again for a 120mm fork / bolt through rear hub. Also has a BB30 bottom bracket standard so might be even less compatible.

I think the German brands are most likely to have something compatible – maybe Cube / Felt? They come up as bargain frames from time to time with the various outlet online shops in Germany.

chakaping
    Free Member

Off to Pinkbike classifieds with you, there will be slim pickings in new frames with the spec you need.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Yes it beginning to look like that. I sold the Boardman frame not expecting him to grow so quickly! Im beginning to think it may be better / easier to sell his bike complete and buy another larger bike. Its a shame as it was built with quite nice parts the forks were reba RLT its got a Thomson post old XTR cranks running 1 x 10 it felt quite light when it was built.
    A large old spec scandal frame would be ideal! Guess a look on pinkbike wouldn’t be a bad idea, thanks for the replies.

hardtailonly

Depends what kind of bike you want … There’s a large On One Deedar for sale on the classifieds with Hope Headset for £100 … It’d make a much rowdier bike than the Boardman and you’d need a 140mm fork (minimum) as well. Very tempted myself, but think a large is a touch too big for me.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Not sure it’s a bargain, but it’s good value

https://www.merlincycles.com/prorace-carver-carbon-mtb-frame-176256.html

boxelder

Was going to suggest getting hold of a SH Pinnacle frame, as they fit your wants, then saw this left field option ?
    Tyre clearance may be limited. I built up an Iroko for our lad.

tall_martin

Orange clockwork frames from the last generation fit the bill. The clockwork 100 from about 2017. I’ve not seen many as frames second hand but the full bikes come up.

I’ve got the 27.5 with 26 wheels and a -2 slackset which is awesome fun

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

i shall keep looking thanks for the ideas, boxelder the left field option looks like its probably on the small size recommended rider size up to 5`9 hes there already!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any bargain hardtail frames around?’ is closed to new replies.