Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any android gurus in the house?
  • pondo

I got a new Samsung Galaxy A10 from Three last August and, whilst it mostly does everything I need, it’s very prone to freezing for 30-40 seconds at a time. It seems related to more active apps (internet, games, camera, facebook etc) and once it starts, it’ll have a little session of just being crap (took me about 8 minutes to write this so far, for example). The only error I’ll sometimes get is System UI not responding, but Googling that has found no fix I can make work. I’ve tried resetting stuff at many levels short of factory reset – haven’t done that as it’s done it from new. Any ideas, or even recommendations for any kind of task manageresque app to try and identify what’s smashing it, before I smash it?

sharkbait
    Free Member

New… Well, less than 12 months old?
    Take it back and get another.

….and maybe not a Samsung this time.
    Android works brilliantly until manufacturers put their crap apps onto it.
    #oneplusFTW

matt_outandabout

Android works brilliantly until manufacturers put their crap apps onto it.

+1

The utter tripe that Sony, Huwawei and Samsung put on our phones was amazing.

I’ve deactivated and uninstalled as much as I can, the Sony being much better than the Samsung for this, and then gone a complete Google products route.

The Motorola’s came with very little extra and are the least trouble (alongside the ‘clean’ Sony).

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’d return it, but any troubleshooting you have to go through first will ask if you have factory reset it, so you might as well try it even if you don’t suspect it will fix it. As long as it’s backed up properly a factory reset should be zero hassle as everything should be backed up and restored, just make sure backup is up to date first, although it should happen automatically a couple of times I’ve found it’s failed so is a couple of days out of date.

retro83
    Free Member

Stock Android is a bit bare for my taste. Personally Samsung’s skin is fantastic after just removing the duplicate apps (why even provide them?) You can do this easily and permanently using ADB without root access.

How to Uninstall Carrier/OEM Bloatware Without Root Access

pondo

I’d return it, but any troubleshooting you have to go through first will ask if you have factory reset it, so you might as well try it even if you don’t suspect it will fix it…

Oh man – that’ll teach me (again) about making assumptions! I think the factory reset has done it, whole thing just feels really zippy and no freezing yet. Waiting for about a zillion apps to download (the ExCel’s wifi is seemingly not all that….), but it just feels like a new phone, and I’m a right dunce for not trying it sooner. Cheers! 🙂

Cougar

Might be worth installing apps in batches. Then if it starts doing it again it’ll help pinpoint the culprit.

smokey_jo

The Facebook android app is notorious for causing slow downs, never install the thing, the mobile site is fine. Messenger is also a resource hog

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep, start with the apps you absolutely need and then leave it there for a few days to see how it goes.
    Chances are you’ll never put them all back on anyway.

pondo

Ah – thanks all, but they’re, er, kind of all downloaded…. 🙂 I never got the sense I could hang it on an individual app, but now I know factory reset sorts, I’m happy to play if it happens again. Cheers folks! 🙂

stumpy01

smokey_jo

Subscriber
    The Facebook android app is notorious for causing slow downs, never install the thing, the mobile site is fine. Messenger is also a resource hog

If you must have Facebook and Messenger look for Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite.
    It’s what I use on my tablet and the apps seem to have virtually all the functionality of the normal apps, but they are about 50x smaller.

Jamze

IME a factory reset every year or so (when they do a major Android update) does wonders and keeps Android running smoothly. A good opportunity to review all the apps you’ve installed over the year too. Just set up as a new phone rather than restore the full backup, then as you go to use an app and realise it’s not there, install it.

Lots of purists on Android forums say you should never have to do it, but I’ve done this for over 10 years now, Android has always worked great.

Cougar

My bear repellent works great. I sprinkle it outside my house every night and I’ve not once had any problem with bears in the garden.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Sending all your data to Beijing is going to slow your phone down quite a bit

Chinese Spyware Pre-Installed on All Samsung Phones (& Tablets) from Android

Kryton57

Any tips for generally speeding up / increasing battery on Androids?  My S8 – despite use of the Device care app – doesn’t last the 2 days it used to.  It just feels “tired”.  A bit like windows vs Apple laptops it feels like my work iPhone is outlasting it and this makes me feel like I should replace it with the new SE2 when it arrives.

Cougar

Sending all your data to Beijing is going to slow your phone down quite a bit

There’s an “official” response further down that Reddit page.

Hello this is samsung electronics mobile division, thank you for using our samsung products.

We asked the department in charge for confirmation, and found that no functions of the 360 vaccine app is used, and it is only outsourced for DB confirmation of unnecessary files

(Sorry for the **** translation, just understand it as 360 only being used to confirm that the file is unnecessary/junk through 360’s DB)

The deletion logic is processed by samsung’s logic, and 360’s DB is used to find out which file is junk (should be deleted).

Samsung Members Korea’s official reply has arrived. from Android

Cougar

Any tips for generally speeding up / increasing battery on Androids?

https://lineageos.org/ perhaps.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

There’s an “official” response further down that Reddit page.

True – I was being slightly facetious. Although those who claim expertise in these things suggest that the amount of traffic and nature of it is not entirely consistent with that – unless it is implemented very badly
    Plus 360 software has a long record of dodgy software, which doesn’t help.

Kryton57

First tip I found, disable Facebook, remove Messenger and install Facebook Lite.  Seems to have had a big impact as my phone has only reduced 5% in 5hrs.

I only use Facebook for Race/Gorrick updates so having the Lite versions perfect for me.

CraigW
    Free Member

Or just use Facebook in your browser, no need for the app.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any android gurus in the house?’ is closed to new replies.