Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any advice on renovating a staircase?
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m looking at removing the carpet from the stairs, sanding back and varnishing the steps before fitting a stair runner.

Any one got any advice?

I did a quick test on the bottom step at the weekend. It took about 20mins with the orbital sander (P60 sanding disc) to get the left half to what you see:

Would I be best off with some paint stripper first or just putting the hours in with the sander/sanding?

project
    Free Member

Dont forget if its an old staircase they used lead paint, so good exttraction, gloves and mask.

Paint stripper works better than sanding to get lots of paint off.

wwaswas

I looked at doing this. By the time I’d done as much as you and looked at all the steps, the wood at the sides, the mouldings etc I’d decided that just rubbing it down and giving it all a good coat of white gloss prior to fitting the runner was an acceptable compromise 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Looks like it’s got a few layers of paint – nitromors might work but it can be slow going on old paints and you end up with a gooey mess.

There’s no easy way, if sanding works, sand it. Think of it as a character building exercise. 😉

dooosuk
    Free Member

Thanks…yes, there’s multiple layers of paint (probably lead as house is 100yrs old).

Will get some P40 sanding discs then and just put the hours in then till the Mrs says it’s taking too long and then lets me gloss it like wwaswas 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

Put a layer od clear varnish on and leave as is?
    I quite like it

nickjb
    Free Member

If you are putting a runner down just do the edges 🙂 , that said I agree with iolo, old wood in old houses should look old and lived in, not cleaned up like new.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve done this a few times. I wouldn’t waste time just using paint stripper to remove the paint. I’d blow lamp the paint off the vertical risers first. They are the hardest part, leaving paint on the easier flat treads will protect them from the flame. I’d them use paint stripper on the blow lamped sections with steel wool.

Then I’d use an orbital sander for the treads. I’ve always used an industrial edger to do it, if you are careful it’s manageable.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Yes, just planning on doing the edges…not the whole steps.

I won’t be taking it back to perfect.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Aren’t there issues with blow lamps and lead paint?

What’s the risk of burning the wood?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What’s the risk of burning the wood?

trail_rat
    Free Member

heatgun takes the paint off grand

i gave up with the stain under the heavy glossing though – several years of heavy dark stain has rendered mine un salvagable (within economic reason)

going for oak cladding now like my grandparents have – my dad does a great job of it with standard oak flooring. and then a runner down the middle.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Aren’t there issues with blow lamps and lead paint?

If you are using a blow lamp you’ll at least need to keep a door or window open anyway. I’ve stripped acres of floors, doors, mouldings and windows that on buildings a minimum of 200 years old. There must have been lead paint in there somewhere. I’m still here. Use a mask.

globalti
    Free Member

I removed the lead paint from the hull of a yacht with a blowlamp. Didn’t smell too good and it was outdoors but my brain seems to work OK, once allowance is made for age.

dooosuk
    Free Member

So, are blowlamps the recommendation over a heatgun?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Just thought I’d update this. It’s taken a while as due to having a baby in the house I’ve been restricted to working when they’re out or away overnight; so it’s been a few hours here, a couple of hours there but we’re almost done.

6hrs of nail pulling & paint stripping:

Picture just over halfway through the 5.5hrs of sanding:

On with the varnish:

Pretty pleased with the colour match seeing as I had no idea what they’d used on the floors. It’s maybe a bit darker/orangey on the treads than the floor. Only one coat of varnish on as I’m reluctant to add a second in case it makes it darker still. Trying to work out whether it’s worth a clear varnish coat or not seeing as they won’t actually be walked on.

Just need to find a carpet now!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any advice on renovating a staircase?’ is closed to new replies.