Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Anton Du Beke
  • MrAgreeable

FWIW I doubt Kanye West calls his mum or dad "my nigga". It's used in rap music, but not as frequently as you'd think, pretty much exclusively as a term to describe one's peers (in terms of age group, life style and aspirations), and usually as a term of endearment. [/trendy professor mode]

toomanybikes
    Free Member

barnsleymitch……….the civilising bit was, yes

grumm……..it wasn't a British decision alone to partition

However, while the Indian National Congress was calling for Britain to Quit India, the Muslim League, in 1943, passed a resolution for them to Divide and Quit. There were several reasons for the birth of a separate Muslim homeland in the subcontinent, and all three parties-the British, the Congress and the Muslim League-were responsible.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I suppose my take on this is that the guy's entitled to his own opinions / beliefs / prejudices, whatever, but if your profile is high (and sadly, being a tv celebrity is), then you should learn to keep them to yourself. For what it's worth, I think this was more stupidity than true racism, but as I said, that's only my take on it.

enfht
    Free Member

Accepting that the term N*gger can be used by certain portions of society based upon the colour of their skin is racist.

Anton's failed joke was in no way an insult, why doesn't intent have any bearing, is it 'cos he is white ffs?

The misinterpretation of what's OK and what's not does nothing for race relations, it just plays into the hands of self-hating apologists who tend to be white lefties.

Anyhow this thread is nothing without RudeBoy to taunt.

grumm
    Free Member

By the way supposedly some people see a difference between '****' and 'nigga' – '****' is racist but 'nigga' isn't apparently. 😕
    This is quite a funny video about the whole thing

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/1126436407

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

enfit – you really have no clue do you.

cpon
    Free Member

A Scot, Paddy, Taffy, Jock, Brit or a Pom (if you're an Aussie) Oh an Aussie, a Yank the list goes on which are offensive and which are not.

I'm not offended if an Aussie calls me a Pom (Prisoner of Her Majesty) but it's pretty offensive if you think about it. More so than calling some one of Pakistani origin a ****.

Freedom of speech. Not in this country any more.

MrAgreeable

Why do you have to belong to a certain demographic in order to feel offended by a crass ill-judged remark?

enfht
    Free Member

TJ coming from a Englishman living in Scotland who thinks everyone is racist I can certainly understand your confusion.

MrAgreeable

Oh and has anyone on this forum ever been placed at a disadvantage in society because they were white, British or middle class?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Anton's failed joke was in no way an insult, why doesn't intent have any bearing

You'd think that this sort of humour had "failed" sufficiently often since the 70s that people would have learnt.

Can you explain how telling a British woman of Moroccan and Indian heritage that she "looked like a ****" could succeed as a joke? The only way in which I can see it working well would be if the other person also thought that "looking like a ****" was a terrible and hilarious thing. But I may be wrong.

🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

What can't you say any more?

cpon
    Free Member

Oh and has anyone on this forum ever been placed at a disadvantage in society because they were white, British or middle class?

White, British, Middle Class… Try getting your name on a the top of a Council House or Housing Association list.

grumm
    Free Member

Oh for god's sake. Please **** off somewhere else then.

White, British, Middle Class… Try getting your name on a the top of a Council House or Housing Association list.

Oh wow it's all coming out now.

Why not try these forums intead:

http://www.stormfront.org/

BigDummy
    Free Member

Loads of things:

– Negroes cannot think for themselves
    – homosexuality is fit only for penguins and hindus
    – the indian races cannot be trusted
    – I love laughing at picanninies
    – algerians are a cruel people and look stupid.

Freedom of speech for the mouth-foamingly horrendous has been severely curtailed. 🙂

cpon
    Free Member

Well if you want to hold down a high profile job without the national media trying to hound you out of it try asking Terry Venibles, Jonathan Ross or Russell Brand…

grumm
    Free Member

It's political correctness gone mad.

grumm
    Free Member

You couldn't make it up.

grumm
    Free Member

MrAgreeable

Try getting your name on a the top of a Council House or Housing Association list

Have a look here. I don't see anything about background, class or ethnic origins.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/finding_a_place_to_live/council_waiting_lists/who_gets_priority

Well done though. You've clearly set your targets very high if you've got nothing better to do than get indignant about who gets a better council house. 🙄

enfht
    Free Member

I was asked to pay 50p for a "free" leaflet from the Nation Of Islam's float at the Notting Hill Carnival, does that count?

(I accept that I provoked the bow-tie wearing scum but I wanted to test their reaction to a honky feigning interest in their racist propoganda)

mooman
    Free Member

MrAgreeable

I was asked to pay 50p for a "free" leaflet from the Nation Of Islam's float at the Notting Hill Carnival, does that count?

I'm on the phone to Trevor Phillips right now. 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have been disadvantaged by being a Englishman in Scotland working in a female dominatged profession.

Enfit – I don't think everyones racist – just like to point it out when it occurs and to point out the hypocrisy surrounding it. The casual racism on this forum is a poor reflection on the people in it.

Grumm – I have told you before – its "political correctness living with mental health issues"

toby1

I wondered how long it'd be before the Porch monkey stuff came up on here – Kevin Smith at his best!

So, why is it that people of African origin can't swim? 😛

Marge
    Free Member

Out of interest – where does "Anton du Beke" originate from? It doesn't sound a particulalry British name.
    (I am embarassed to say it sounds kind of Belgian….)

BigDummy
    Free Member

"born Tony Beak" according to the oracle of Wikipedia.

enfht
    Free Member

Yeah those Belgiumums are a right bunch of racist peados.

Marge
    Free Member

Phew…..

That says it all though! C0CK

IanMunro
    Free Member

Tony Beak!?
    🙂

Olly
    Free Member

if I, a middle class white fellow, greet my friend, also a middle class white fellow, with "sup nigga?" to which he replies "sup coon!"

am i a racist
    is he a racist?

im seated and prepped for "no, your just dicks"

i realise its a bit out of context, as its not what mr anton meant, but if i hear an uncooth youth being an orrible wizards sleve to a person of the asian persuasion, and calling them a ****, i think its quite funny, as the probability of them acutally being pakistani, is fairly low isnt it?

is "asian persuasion" racist?
    they may well be asian, but they didnt choose to be, but then again, the porobably WOULD choose to be if they had the choice surely?
    its not implying theres anything wrong with being from asia, massive continent that it is.
    im so confused!
    my head hurts 🙁

MrAgreeable

Olly, are you Nathan Barley?

enfht
    Free Member

If you could trace any african descent then you'd be free to use the term as you see fit and label any honkys using it as "racist scum". Whether or not the honky lived in an ethnically-enriched area and had picked it up as street slang is neither here nor there. I think that's how it's worked out. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. 😳

Don't you just love the term "ethnically-enriched" and how it implies something is lacking in areas that are mainly white. I remember an Asian woman on Wife-Swap referring to her new home as being in a "horribly-white" area. 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

if I, a middle class white fellow, greet my friend, also a middle class white fellow, with "sup nigga?"

I agree that this is probably not racist as such in that context. It's a problem, isn't it, because the word has a particularly strong taboo around it because of its place in the history of black slavery and oppression over centuries. Use of it in jest between white men is not so much racist as disrespectful and evidence of a lack of awareness and sensibility on the issue of racial abuse.

If you told someone that you "have a hang-over like the holocaust" you'd be in similar territory.

It is for the most confusing and it's very easy to tie oneself in knots over this stuff. But it remains pretty easy to avoid actually offending anyone.

Olly
    Free Member

sort of, in that, if you DONT fit into that box, you are guaranteed an interview with a number of organisations, the EA, the police, the council etc…. iirc.

cpon
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member
    Try getting your name on a the top of a Council House or Housing Association list
    Have a look here. I don't see anything about background, class or ethnic origins.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/finding_a_place_to_live/council_waiting_lists/who_gets_priority

Well done though. You've clearly set your targets very high if you've got nothing better to do than get indignant about who gets a better council house.

Thanks Mr Agreeable for the motivational pep talk, however my sights are firmly set and I'm working towards to achieving my goals.

I am a home owner and fortunately never been in the position of needing state benefits or social housing, but I know people who have needed help from local authorities and been told in no uncertain terms that due to their background they will unlikely qualify for help. Others from ethnic backgrounds will be granted housing before them. The system isn't a first come first served, it's more fill a quota, tick box type allocation.

It's a rather patronising outlook to hold that people who need the help of the state all set their sights on achieving it. Sometimes marriage break-ups, redundancies, illness and other change of circumstances mean that life doesn't turn out so rosy for everyone.

firestarter
    Free Member

mr agreeable yes i have as it happens i applied for the police when i left the forces and was knocked back as they were as they put it only recruiting ethnics at the time. i was told to reapply a year later so i did again i was told sorry still ethnics only weve not met targets . they told me to try the met but i gave up on it as a bad job as they clearly had issues ;-(

Olly
    Free Member

Use of it in jest between white men is not so much racist as disrespectful and evidence of a lack of awareness and sensibility on the issue of racial abuse.

or, disresepctful to "rappstars" such as kanye, who feel the need to overly drag out the race issue?
    if it wasnt dragged out by such people, would it still be such an issue?
    i dont think any germans would have a problem with discussing "the war", while i did get accused of "kissing my teeth" at someone and calling them "boy" on a bus once (i was miles away, i can assure you i didnt)

not an argument against your point, just a development.

If you told someone that you "have a hang-over like the holocaust" you'd be in similar territory.

i actually just lolled! which sets me up for a fall striaght away

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cpon – Member

…….. but I know people who have needed help from local authorities and been told in no uncertain terms that due to their background they will unlikely qualify for help. Others from ethnic backgrounds will be granted housing before them. The system isn't a first come first served, it's more fill a quota, tick box type allocation.

That is 100% untrue " a mate of mine told me that…………"

Rubbish – utter and complete drivel

backhander
    Free Member

Actually, I have. I wanted to go to a recruiting event for the fire brigade of which there were 3 dates. There was only one which I couldn't make. Sadly, this day was the only day which non minoritys could attend. So, yes I have been disadvantaged by being white.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Anton Du Beke’ is closed to new replies.